BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

If a child/teen is ashamed of being black

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 2.83  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: If a child/teen is ashamed of being black
    Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 7:05pm

who is to blame?
Sponsored Links

AshBash89 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AshBash89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 7:05pm
The parents.
f8dagrate View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote f8dagrate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by AshBash89 AshBash89 wrote:

The parents.

This and their siblings and society and the child .

Edited by f8dagrate - Feb 08 2013 at 7:10pm
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 7:08pm
Other black people.
Lady ICE View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Lady ICE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 7:10pm
media.

i cant blame parents. i know kids lookin at white princesses all the time think thats the way its suppose to be. this is before tiana. (im speaking of young kids though. teens form their own ideas)

Edited by Lady ICE - Feb 08 2013 at 7:11pm
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (9) Thanks(9)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 7:10pm
I'd also say the parents have a lot to do with it but things can get problematic when a black child is raised in an all white environment. No matter how much praise and security they might get from the parents, they may have a difficult time adjusting until they at least reach adulthood.
AshBash89 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote AshBash89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 7:16pm
My children at ages 2 and 4 are reciting poems by Langston Hughes. I always reflect on my childhood and how my family frowned upon nappy/kinky hair and so seeing someone with nappy/kinky hair looked so ugly to me. It took me up until I was 18 and watching my sisters go natural, to realize how beautiful our hair is. I never want my children to feel ashamed of any of their blackness and so I embed in their minds how beautiful they are and how beautiful we as a people are. 
Ladybird0724 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (9) Thanks(9)   Quote Ladybird0724 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 7:19pm
its no one answer. i don't think it solely rests on the parents, but something that, ideally, should be supported in all facets of that child's life, from the school to the home to the community at large.

your parents can foster pride in you for being black, but if that isn't supported outside of the home as well, then it becomes even harder. the same child that has encouraging parents may have black friends/classmates that deem them "not black" for a variety of reasons. and while it is easier for an adult to ignore that, for a child (and teen), those things are going to stick w/ them for years.

similarly, if they go to a predominantly white school system and are one of the few black students (or minorities), and endure micro/macrotransgressions constantly can start to be ashamed of their culture. and a young child or teen may not have the tools to deal with all that...hell, some adults don't have the tools to deal with it.

just my opinion.
Junior Jr View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junior Jr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 7:19pm
the parents, family and community. we gotta stop blaming these CACs (eem tho they started this mess) and take some responsibility

jr. 
pattigurlatl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (9) Thanks(9)   Quote pattigurlatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 7:21pm
I think everyone is right here. But the issue isn't blame because its a larger picture. The issue is how do you fight it?
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic