BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > My Spirituality > My Experiences
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Idol weave and the Christian woman

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345

Author
Bahiyieh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bahiyieh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2011 at 1:33am
Originally posted by Stam Stam wrote:

I hope nobody in this thread is Muslim.

right! 
Sponsored Links

mizqtpye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mizqtpye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2011 at 1:34pm

I hope you all don’t mind me chiming in to offer a biblical POV for Christians utilizing things once offered to pagan idols?

I think the closest biblical teaching on this issue is where Paul discusses whether a Christian should eat food that was sacrificed to idols.  See 1 Corinthians 8:1 - 11:1.  Background: In Corinth, food was sacrificed to idols because Greeks and Romans believed that evil spirits attached themselves to humans through food, and that the only way to cleanse the food was to sacrifice it to their idol gods.  The food that was not burnt at altars or served at immoral pagan feast was sold at the meat markets.  Naturally some Corinth believers were opposed to eating (or to others eating) food from the markets because of its (potential) idolatrous beginnings.

The gist of Paul’s response [for purposes of this post] was that it was not inherently wrong for a Christian to eat food/meat from the market.  Why?

1 Cor 8:4-6: Therefore concerning the eating of things sacrificed to idols, we know that there is no such thing as an idol in the world, and that there is no God but one.  For even if there are so-called gods whether in heaven or on earth, as indeed there are many gods and many lords, yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom are all things and we exist for Him; and one Lord, Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we exist through Him." [NASB]

1 Cor 8:8: “But food will not commend us to God; we are neither the worse if we do not eat, nor the better if we do eat.” [NASB]

1 Cor 10:25-26: “Eat anything that is sold in the meat market without asking questions for conscience' sake; FOR THE EARTH IS THE LORD'S, AND ALL IT CONTAINS.” [NASB]

Paul was saying that mature believers (or more knowledgeable, see 1 Cor 8:1) know that those so-called idols were nothing and had no power, especially in comparison to the one true God, from which that very meat/food came (see 1 Tim 4:4-5: “For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with gratitude; for it is sanctified by means of the word of God and prayer).  Thus for those who knew those truths, at the end of the day, meat sacrificed to idols was still only meat that could not harm nor defile them.  Paul also admonished that food was one of those spiritually neutral things, that could not commend us to God, i.e., eating or not eating that meat would not bring them any closer to (or further away from) God since salvation is by grace through faith alone.

I think these same principles can be applied to hair weave that was potentially sacrificed to idols.  Whether human hair weave is sacrificed to idols or not, it is still just hair that cannot harm nor defile you, especially given the fact that God made every single strand of hair on their heads!  If anything, just pray over the weave as you do your food.  Furthermore, wearing this weave is one of those spiritually neutral things that will not commend us to God since our salvation rest solely in the person and work of our Lord & Savior Jesus Christ (see Acts 15:11). 

***However, if your (i.e., OP’s or any other’s) conscience is convicting you against weave wearing for this purpose, then by all means, abstain from it…for it is not in my hearts (and should not be in any of our hearts) to cause you to stumble in your walk (for this is a serious offense against the Lord, see 1 Cor 8:12).  

mizqtpye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mizqtpye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2011 at 2:48pm

I thought I should add the following for your own edification!  The deeper point Paul was making with the above discussion was this: If my eating meat sacrificed to idols offends another (less knowledgeable) believer, then I should not eat it because of that person (i.e., so as to not become a stumbling block to them). 

1 Cor 8:7-9: “However not all men have this knowledge; but some, being accustomed to the idol until now, eat food as if it were sacrificed to an idol; and their conscience being weak is defiled.  But food will not commend us to God; we are neither the worse if we do not eat, nor the better if we do eat.  But take care that this liberty of yours does not somehow become a stumbling block to the weak.”

1 Cor 8:12-13: “And so, by sinning against the brethren and wounding their conscience when it is weak, you sin against Christ.  Therefore, if food causes my brother to stumble, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause my brother to stumble.”

1 Corinthian 10:25 - “Eat anything that is sold in the meat market, without asking questions for conscience' sake.” . . . vs. 28-29: “But if anyone should say to you, ‘This is meat sacrificed to idols,’ do not eat it, for the sake of the one who informed you, and for conscience’ sake; I mean not your own conscience, but the other man's; for why is my freedom judged by another's conscience?”

In other words, we are to be cognizant of the person whose knowledge about God, salvation, justification, sanctification, etc. is limited and whose conscience still accuses him/her concerning these spiritually neutral areas.  We are not to judge this person, nor are we to offend this person, but we are to help edify and build this person up in love, truth, and wisdom of Christian doctrine. 

**Oh and one more thing, sorry LOL.  It is indeed true that we are to “flee from idolatry” (see 1 Cor 10:14-22).  But note that Paul makes a distinction between (1) the items being sacrificed (i.e., knowledgeable believers know that idols and the things sacrificed to them have no spiritual power in themselves) and (2) participating in the sacrificial ceremony (which is strictly prohibited because although the idols were not real, they did/do represent demons). 

See 1 Cor 10:19-20: “Do I mean then that a sacrifice offered to an idol is anything, or that an idol is anything? No, but the sacrifices of pagans are offered to demons, not to God, and I do not want you to be participants with demons. [NIV]

Bahiyieh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bahiyieh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2011 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by mizqtpye mizqtpye wrote:

I thought I should add the following for your own edification!  The deeper point Paul was making with the above discussion was this: If my eating meat sacrificed to idols offends another (less knowledgeable) believer, then I should not eat it because of that person (i.e., so as to not become a stumbling block to them). 

1 Cor 8:7-9: “However not all men have this knowledge; but some, being accustomed to the idol until now, eat food as if it were sacrificed to an idol; and their conscience being weak is defiled.  But food will not commend us to God; we are neither the worse if we do not eat, nor the better if we do eat.  But take care that this liberty of yours does not somehow become a stumbling block to the weak.”

1 Cor 8:12-13: “And so, by sinning against the brethren and wounding their conscience when it is weak, you sin against Christ.  Therefore, if food causes my brother to stumble, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause my brother to stumble.”

1 Corinthian 10:25 - “Eat anything that is sold in the meat market, without asking questions for conscience' sake.” . . . vs. 28-29: “But if anyone should say to you, ‘This is meat sacrificed to idols,’ do not eat it, for the sake of the one who informed you, and for conscience’ sake; I mean not your own conscience, but the other man's; for why is my freedom judged by another's conscience?”

In other words, we are to be cognizant of the person whose knowledge about God, salvation, justification, sanctification, etc. is limited and whose conscience still accuses him/her concerning these spiritually neutral areas.  We are not to judge this person, nor are we to offend this person, but we are to help edify and build this person up in love, truth, and wisdom of Christian doctrine. 

**Oh and one more thing, sorry LOL.  It is indeed true that we are to “flee from idolatry” (see 1 Cor 10:14-22).  But note that Paul makes a distinction between (1) the items being sacrificed (i.e., knowledgeable believers know that idols and the things sacrificed to them have no spiritual power in themselves) and (2) participating in the sacrificial ceremony (which is strictly prohibited because although the idols were not real, they did/do represent demons). 

See 1 Cor 10:19-20: “Do I mean then that a sacrifice offered to an idol is anything, or that an idol is anything? No, but the sacrifices of pagans are offered to demons, not to God, and I do not want you to be participants with demons. [NIV]

Very well thought out and articulate response. I 100% agree.
DeliciouslyWeird View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeliciouslyWeird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2011 at 8:16pm
 Clap 
I love it Mizqtype and not just because I agree but because the proof is right there in writing for those it may concern. 
sexyandfamous View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 12:18pm
One thing is to be consumed by the thoughts of purchasing and wearing and collecting weaves. Another is to wear them because it makes you feel prettier. There is nothing wrong in purchasing weaves, wigs or whatever else, if you still put God first.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic