Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth (Newbies)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Ideas And Suggestions For A Hair Care Regimen!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedIdeas And Suggestions For A Hair Care Regimen!!

Post Reply Post Reply
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
*Natural vibe* View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ideas And Suggestions For A Hair Care Regimen!!
    Posted: Jun 19 2012 at 7:56pm
Hey my BHM FamilyHug, I have been on a natural healthy hair journey for going on a year (aug11-aug12) and I have not been successful as I planned to be. Well let me just be honest, I didn't do much research at all and because of that i had no idea what i was doing Embarrassed. Coming across BHM (which I love), has motivated me to pick up from where i left off and create a new start for my hair's health. My hair is very thick and dry, I have 4C type hair, and I absolutely have no idea how to properly care for my hair to get it to grow to it's full potential. My hair has been damaged since I was a young girl, I'm talking about short , uneven , dry , broken just a hot mess Unhappy. I decided I didn't want to be the girl that always wore weave and was ashamed of herself because of the way her hair is, so i got on youtube and from then on I became a natural sista! As I am closely approaching my year mark post BC, I would like to come up with a regimen for my hair to start off year two in the right path for my hair. Please feel free to leave comments, suggestions , and helpful tips Please and Thank-you Smile
Sponsored Links

tSyvione View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2012 at 9:00pm
Hi good luck to you.    I also have what I call "4z" hair.  Maybe what i do is not the best.  During my shower while I have conditioner in I use a wide tooth comb to comb thru.  (I do have a texturizer)  after I add shine serum to my hair then immediately add gel and let my hair dry in a ponytail.  I leave my hair like that for a few days and use lace wigs.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2012 at 9:14pm
What products do you normally use? I have tried the Cantu Shea butter leave in conditioning repair cream, and elasta qp olive oil & mango butter moisturizer. So far it's done good to my hair.
Veemack View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2012 at 8:49am
Originally posted by *Natural vibe* *Natural vibe* wrote:

What products do you normally use? I have tried the Cantu Shea butter leave in conditioning repair cream, and elasta qp olive oil & mango butter moisturizer. So far it's done good to my hair.
Start with how you cleanse your hair, and what you cleanse it with and how often you cleanse your hair. Be sure you are using non sulfate shampoos. Type 4 hair hates sulfate shampoos. It loves co washes, but you still need to shampoo your hair at least once a month with a good non sulfate shampoo. Try co washing twice a week and DC'ing once a week, and then shampoo with a non sulfate shampoo once a month. Get you a good protein treatment to strengthen your strands so they do not break.
littlebabybug View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2012 at 8:58pm
the biggest key is leaving your hair alone. If you can find a means of styling that involves you basically being minimally involved with your hair- like twists, braids, wigs or whatever you pick- then that's gravy. even if your version of lack of involvement has to do with just setting your hair in rollers or defining your curl- and then leaving your hair completely alone for weeks on end except maybe just to moisturize and perhaps wash a little in between, then that's GREAT. most times when people lose hair to breakage and get split ends, it's because of the detangling process. so it goes without saying that the less you have to detangle your hair the better. and when you do detangle, be GENTLE. if you're getting a 1:1 ratio of broken strands to shed strands, that is BAD. you always want at least 3 times as many shed hairs as there are broken hairs. An even better ratio would be well advised, as just a general thing to go by. I recommend learning the art of finger detangled, as it serves damaged hair way better than combs and brushes do. Try to limit manipulation, and only manipulate your hair when it has some element of slip (moisture) to it. Some people like adding slip with oil, conditioner, detangler, pure water, or whatever suits. Learn your hair, though. There are so many variables that it really can take months to years for you to find what works perfectly. and then you'll find that often times as your hair retains length, it requires different types of care at different stages of length. What i could get away with doing when my hair was from 1-6 inches is totally different from what i can get away with now that it's 11-13 in places. So you're always going to be changing your regimen at some point to suit your hair's needs at that particular time. 

my regimen is almost all over the place lol it suits my personality because i'm a spontaneous person by nature. i wash once every 3-4 days (currently trying to leave my hair in big twists for a few weeks. let's see how that goes!), and i usually either set my hair in twists or define each and every curl. i don't use combs- fingers only, to detangle my hair thoroughly. I wash in conditioner most washes, but every 2-3 washes i'll shampoo my scalp primarily and let the water run the remainder through my hair. I leave my conditioner in my hair, and after that...i just style as i want throughout the rest of the days between washes. i don't really have a night or morning care regimen, as the essence of my care revolves around wash day only. This works for me, because i have no discipline whatsoever, but not everyone's hair can thrive on my brand of hair care. I would suggest looking into the TC method to see if it works for you, as it's very simple and basic and if you have hair that does well in clumped, defined curls, then hair care for you will be breezy and you'll see results in about 2-4 months. MahoganyCurls on youtube uses the TC method and her hair is gorgeous; so it works, but from what i've heard from others, it's heavily dependent on the hair type. 

that's all i have, but i do hope you find something! 
at the risk of sounding like a promo, i wanna promote my blog so you can follow my own progress, as i'm on a hair growth journey myself! hopefully you can find inspiration there, as i really wanna be able to help you and others (and myself too lol) grow hair to the length of our dreams!

Thumbs Up

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2012 at 12:48pm
Thank-you all for the info..keep em coming Thumbs Up
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic