Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - I wonder if Whoopi saw this. Canada and the N word
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

I wonder if Whoopi saw this. Canada and the N word

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2014 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by rickysrose rickysrose wrote:

I was an only black child in school up until high school in canada (then there were two of us)

I had a relatively pleasant experience no overt racism but that could be because I went to catholic school and there were enough ethnic whites that may have had their own identity problems to focus on me?

There was a lot of talk about the melting pot vs salad, respect for the original peoples, different cultures, culture days, very early on

I think the school should take the responsibility to educate, reinforce inclusion/cultural awareness and punish any bullying kids quickly and severely 

It is ridiculous to isolate the child with a supervisor and a separate bathroom instead of dealing with the bullies

Same here. Except I did experience some degree of marginalization from the other kids.  I got the N word. There was only one other black girl and we always hanged together even though I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have been naturally inclined to do so if it weren't for the fact that we were the only ones.

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - Jun 13 2014 at 12:59pm
Sponsored Links

rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2014 at 1:10pm
True you do need that first hand knowledge transfer about racism.

My parents, extended family, church, other black families instilled that afrocentric/jamaican pride

And also set the expectation that overt racism was completely unacceptable and how to call it out, and how to watch out for subtleties and how to counteract them, I use those skills to this day

I would not have done so well without that... so yes I agree mixed kids with a white primary parent would be at a disadvantage 

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2014 at 1:19pm

True you do need that first hand knowledge transfer about racism.

My parents, extended family, church, other black families instilled that afrocentric/jamaican pride

And also set the expectation that overt racism was completely unacceptable and how to call it out, and how to watch out for subtleties and how to counteract them, I use those skills to this day

I would not have done so well without that... so yes I agree mixed kids with a white primary parent would be at a disadvantage 

Same here. Which is why I didn't come out of that experience mentally scarred. I knew those were just stupid kids. And I didn't get beat up or anything, I could take care of myself. But I got some verbal abuse or just straight rejection so we kept to ourselves. I had white friends in the neighborhood I lived in though (although even there, there have been situations. Thinking of a half italian/half french canadian I had who got robbed and all of a sudden, police turned the suspicion on to me!) High school was much better for me. More diverse.

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - Jun 13 2014 at 1:20pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2014 at 1:27pm
JP did you get the same cultural awareness lessons I think in social studies?  In Ontario or QC?

Another thing might be that our "class" was pretty much the same from pre-kindergarten up to high school. They sifted us into categories in half day daycare and it stayed the same from there.

There were a lot of dynamics at play and I don't yet understand them all

Not sure how much was institutional, circumstantial, cultural, etc
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2014 at 1:32pm

Hmm maybe some incidents missed me because I was in the house lol my parents also didn't allow me to go anywhere like over friends houses, sleepovers etc 

Doesn't sound too bad, relatively, from what we hear now, but it's a completely different story when you're living it, sorry that happened, relieved high school was better

Benni View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2014 at 1:46pm
Leaving the Town does not solve the problem.   

Running away in not a solution....Educate the dumbarses
rell85 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rell85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2014 at 2:34pm
Sad he have to go through this home schooling would be nice but don't sound like that's an option.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2014 at 4:28pm

JP did you get the same cultural awareness lessons I think in social studies?  In Ontario or QC?

Another thing might be that our "class" was pretty much the same from pre-kindergarten up to high school. They sifted us into categories in half day daycare and it stayed the same from there.

There were a lot of dynamics at play and I don't yet understand them all

Not sure how much was institutional, circumstantial, cultural, etc

No cultural awareness lessons. Never experienced that. It was in Qc. Francophone catholic school run by nuns. Complete with corporal punishment and everything.

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - Jun 13 2014 at 4:30pm
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2014 at 4:33pm
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2014 at 4:34pm
the people in that town are calling him a liar by denying that racism occurs.  how the hell do you speak for everyone?  you only know whats going on in your head not everyone else's.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>