Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - I wonder if Whoopi saw this. Canada and the N word
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

I wonder if Whoopi saw this. Canada and the N word

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>

Bootiful Cream

Author
Immie89 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Immie89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2014 at 11:45am
I knew those newfie weren't as nice as people always paint them. She needs to move to T.O
Sponsored Links

JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2014 at 11:53am
Originally posted by Immie89 Immie89 wrote:

I knew those newfie weren't as nice as people always paint them. She needs to move to T.O

LOL, Immie. Everybody can't be living in TO. Isn't it full capacity as it is already???
eanaj5 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote eanaj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2014 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

Originally posted by eanaj5 eanaj5 wrote:

hopefully his mother is instilling uplifiting images and positivity about the black race to him at home. He will never be able to run and hide from racism completely.
Very sad situation and hopefully he wont let these experiences effect his productivity and mental well being

The mother is white. 

this is why im not too keen on IRR.
if you are not equipped to be able to explain racism and how to deal with it, then dont procreate with people of color
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2014 at 12:12pm

hopefully his mother is instilling uplifiting images and positivity about the black race to him at home. He will never be able to run and hide from racism completely.
Very sad situation and hopefully he wont let these experiences effect his productivity and mental well being

The mother is white. 

if you are not equipped to be able to explain racism and how to deal with it, then dont procreate with people of color

I don't know if the father is still around, I didn't see him on TV.
In any case, so many IRR out here in my city (not just black/white), I actually mentally cheer when I see a black/black couple walking downtown. It's actually becoming a rare occurence in the downtown core!
Az~Maverick View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Az~Maverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2014 at 12:21pm
Placing a black child in a school where they're the only raisin in the group does more harm than good. I was in a mostly yt school from 7-8th grade after a transfer from an all black school. My self-esteem took a severe nose dive. Constant questions about "Why do black people.....?" Touching my skin and hair like I was a petting zoo, Being called the N-word......Were there not any mixed  or all black schools in the area they couldn't send him too? I mean, really?? Sleepy

Edited by Az~Maverick - Jun 13 2014 at 12:21pm
Az~Maverick View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Az~Maverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2014 at 12:23pm

The mother is white. 

So the mama is yt. This explains a WHOLE lot....and not in a good way. These "colorblind" folks I tell ya.......
rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2014 at 12:35pm
I was an only black child in school up until high school in canada (then there were two of us)

I had a relatively pleasant experience no overt racism but that could be because I went to catholic school and there were enough ethnic whites that may have had their own identity problems to focus on me?

There was a lot of talk about the melting pot vs salad, respect for the original peoples, different cultures, culture days, very early on

I think the school should take the responsibility to educate, reinforce inclusion/cultural awareness and punish any bullying kids quickly and severely 

It is ridiculous to isolate the child with a supervisor and a separate bathroom instead of dealing with the bullies

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2014 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by rickysrose rickysrose wrote:

I was an only black child in school up until high school in canada (then there were two of us)

I had a relatively pleasant experience no overt racism but that could be because I went to catholic school and there were enough ethnic whites that may have had their own identity problems to focus on me?

There was a lot of talk about the melting pot vs salad, respect for the original peoples, different cultures, culture days, very early on

I think the school should take the responsibility to educate, reinforce inclusion/cultural awareness and punish any bullying kids quickly and severely 

It is ridiculous to isolate the child with a supervisor and a separate bathroom instead of dealing with the bullies

Same here. Except I did experience some degree of marginalization from the other kids.  I got the N word. There was only one other black girl and we always hanged together even though I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have been naturally inclined to do so if it weren't for the fact that we were the only ones.

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - Jun 13 2014 at 12:59pm
rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2014 at 1:10pm
True you do need that first hand knowledge transfer about racism.

My parents, extended family, church, other black families instilled that afrocentric/jamaican pride

And also set the expectation that overt racism was completely unacceptable and how to call it out, and how to watch out for subtleties and how to counteract them, I use those skills to this day

I would not have done so well without that... so yes I agree mixed kids with a white primary parent would be at a disadvantage 

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2014 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by rickysrose rickysrose wrote:

True you do need that first hand knowledge transfer about racism.

My parents, extended family, church, other black families instilled that afrocentric/jamaican pride

And also set the expectation that overt racism was completely unacceptable and how to call it out, and how to watch out for subtleties and how to counteract them, I use those skills to this day

I would not have done so well without that... so yes I agree mixed kids with a white primary parent would be at a disadvantage 

Same here. Which is why I didn't come out of that experience mentally scarred. I knew those were just stupid kids. And I didn't get beat up or anything, I could take care of myself. But I got some verbal abuse or just straight rejection so we kept to ourselves. I had white friends in the neighborhood I lived in though (although even there, there have been situations. Thinking of a half italian/half french canadian I had who got robbed and all of a sudden, police turned the suspicion on to me!) High school was much better for me. More diverse.

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - Jun 13 2014 at 1:20pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarg
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>