BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Business / Finance / Money
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

I want to start a beauty supply business

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

Author
MZYOUNG26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MZYOUNG26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I want to start a beauty supply business
    Posted: Jul 19 2011 at 1:44pm
I want to open up a beauty supply store. Where I live the beauty store are 25 miles away but my credit is very bad and I really don't where how to get there started? I also saw us documentary on how the Korans makes it impossible for African Americans to get started in the business.
Sponsored Links

MZYOUNG26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MZYOUNG26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2011 at 12:55pm
Sorry this post doesnt sound right but I type it on my cellphone and I couldn't figure out how to edit my post. Thanks
BrownGal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrownGal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2011 at 12:23pm

Great Idea!! This has always been something  I wanted to do... However I think the competition with the Koreans would make this an expensive operation. They are able to get supplies for dirt cheap and we would have to full price!!

redbone.savage View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redbone.savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2011 at 12:25am
SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT PLAN, YOU SHOULD GOOGLE AND SEE WHAT IDEAS YOU CAN COME UP WITH, GOOD LUCK
khivey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote khivey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2011 at 3:13am
My godsister's boyfriend opened up a beauty supply in Atlanta, GA..Gordon's Beauty Supply ..black owned and his shop is legit. 
yurika975 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yurika975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2011 at 2:23pm
I don't think Koreans make it impossible for Blacks to succeed in the business. I think that it's just that many Black only want to conduct business in English. In a global economy some of your partners or other entities will be in other countries and likely speak other languages. Of the korean beauty supplies many order from suppliers IN Korea. It's natural they would speak the same language. Anyone wanting to buy from them will likely want to learn the language. They don't put the industry magazines in Korean to spite Blacks. If I were selling a latin product, I would expect to deal with someone that speaks Spanish. I'd have to know how to speak it or get someone who did know to speak to them for me.

The best prices are for wholesale. You'd have to buy direct and many probably have a minimum. Otherwise you'd have to go through a middleman who jacks up the price. I think that's the hurdle some black biz are encountering. The middleman charging too much and not sure how to make contact with the right wholesale suppliers offering the products you want to sell. 

I was in a black owned beauty supply that no longer carried wigs. That's what I came in for. She catered to the neighborhood that wanted sew ins. She was ranting to another customer about how the Koreans are taking over. And that the wholesalers won't let her buy only a few items at a time. They all have minimum purchases and she said she refused to learn Korean and wanted them to deal with her in English. 

Edited by yurika975 - Oct 26 2011 at 2:26pm
MsCheeks86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsCheeks86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2012 at 8:10am
Great idea. Start by researching and researching your competition. Business Plans aren't always needed but, it might be helpful for this type of business. Start small then expand.
iskalay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iskalay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2012 at 10:39am
Maybe try servicing a niche market with a smaller but more specialized product line. Ex: sell all natural and homemade products.
How about a beauty supply consignment shop?
sexyandfamous View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 3:57pm
I agree with yurika... Nowadays, a second language is important, even for volunteering somewhere. For Koreans who have Korean citizenship and/or speak the language, it is much easier for them to purchase and find ways to import, plus they know the top brands from there that people will buy.

A black owner trying to open a beauty supply salon has to get what is in demand and in some cases, offer a variety of products that will attract customers of all ethnicities and genders.
OhMyCurlz View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote OhMyCurlz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2014 at 11:38am
Hmm sounds like a good idea. A lot of beauty supply stores that carry boutique brands have gained popularity and then you can add your own line as well. I googled "create your own product line" and "how to open a beauty supply store" and saw references to PLM Cosmetics. They are allegedly who helped some of the other brands get into Target and Whole Foods and they help salon owners and beauty supply owners create their own natural brand of products for pretty cheap. I see they offer customization and contract manufacturing too. My sister owns a salon and is using them to private label from. I think she had customization done but her edge control balm and twisting cream is awesome. :)

So that's a start. 

1. You can create your own product line (http://plmcosmetics.com)

2. You can have boutique brands in your store (think Qhemet, Koils By Nature, etc)

3. You can order a few things in bulk to stock your store. I think a lot of the koreans get their makeup and stuff from dollardays. (dollardays.com)

4. As for your credit, I would try and find a private owner to let me rent a spot. They are more lenient and you have a better chance of getting a decent spot with them. 

5. As for weave and such, you can order weave in bulk from hairsisters.com and clairhair I think. I would special order bundles from aliexpress and charge for them in store. People would be receptive to that idea since people don't like ordering hair online. 

Hope it works out! 
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic