Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > The Archives > Natural Hair Care - Archives
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Forum LockedI think my hope is fading...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
Greetings View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: I think my hope is fading...
    Posted: Sep 05 2007 at 10:05am
Hello dears,

I cut my hair about a month ago due to a bleaching accident gone wrong Ouch. Well, since then I've been wearing a wig, and my hair has been doing WONDERFULLY. My hair is natural, but I've never seen it quite like this. There are 3 distinct textures going on in my head...

The front has very loose waves

The middle has very nice, distinct curls

The back..lord the backOuch...the curls are so tight back there that they are about an inch un-stretched, 6 inches stretched. I measured it last night and couldn't believe my eyes. The back of my head contains really skinny, tight tight tight curls...it's so tight that I can barely comb or put my fingers through it. They are shaped like perfectly round little "O's"

I'm going to start wearing my natural hair without my wig soon, but with all these hair types dancing on my head, I really don't know how to get one uniformed look. I washed my hair yesterday and it looked a mess...not to mention I have about an inch and a half of straight ends all over my head. Cha...it just looks so raggedy.

The only thing I do it moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. I wash my hair once a week and keep it in 4 big cornrows under my wig.

I just don't know what to do. I'm glad my hair has regained its health, but now styling seems almost impossible.
Sponsored Links

PrettyEyes View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2007 at 10:18am
Hey Bless,
I love all your posts ! Try getting twists done. ANd mabe cutting the inch of straight hair off and wearing a afro puff.
PrettyEyes View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2007 at 10:19am
BTW I been wearing a wig also and my hair is in cornrows. I am really concerned about protecting my hair under the wig I use a wig cap and sometimes a du-rag but I worry about my hairline. I don't wear a lf just a BSS wig.
newcurlygirl View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2007 at 10:38am
hi bless,

I have lived with different curl patterns (or lack of) all my life and I know finding a style that accommodates all of them is  Angry, Ouch AND Cry. The differences were not as extreme as yours but I had completely straight temples and nape and a nice loose wave at forehead to the start of my crown and then the crown went  to FRIZZZZZZZZ city. I have been frustrated all my life trying to find styles so I just didn't.  I would put my hair up and wore french braids and had NO STYLE whatsoever. Roller sets worked if I wanted to go thru all that.

THEN I found a stylist who said, "You need a body wave to even out the curl pattern and give you a curl pattern where there is NONE." She was so right. They rodded it on different size rollers and sure enough I had a uniform curl pattern. Where my curl pattern was tighter (my crown), they used the biggest perm rods and didn't spiral it up (I got a spiral perm) but rolled it just like a regular roller set. That loosened the curl pattern there. At my temples and nape, they used the teeniest rods and lo and behold I had a curl pattern THERE! Clap

Well, I stopped getting body waves about 12 years ago and have just let my hair be. To my great surprise I now have a curl pattern at my temples and nape (although it is weaker than my other 2 patterns) and I am amazed.

I don't know what to attribute this change to, but I am telling you this to say, "Don't give up hope." I don't know what your hair will do after the break from any chemical services at all, but you may be surprised. Doing the cornrows sounds like a nice way to transition until you see what will transpire over your growing process. Keep the faith, gurl! Smile
CenteredGirl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2007 at 11:14am
Hey Bless,

Don't forget to balance with a protein treatment at least monthly!  Overall, great plan.  Keep up posted!Thumbs%20Up
SuperNova View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2007 at 11:19am
I feel you bless.  Me and my daughter have different textures.  I wear mine relaxed so it's not a big problem.  What about twist sets and braid outs?  Maybe styles like that would give your hair a more even texture.
Carib_n_curly View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2007 at 11:43am
i have all different textures to and i have and area or hair around my left and right ears that is straight and wavy and even when it's wet it's wavy at the bottom and straight in the middle. i'm natural to i have just learned to ignore it. well at least you can cut out the straight parts because it's at the end if i cut my one i will have a bald path at the side of my head and i never relaxed my hair so this is natural for me.
DrunkClouds View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2007 at 12:11pm
What leave in conditioner are you using? Some leave in conditioners usually the ones made specfically for AA are supposed to loosen curls a bit. I have heard good things about certain curly curstards not talking about miss jessies but mixed chicks and naani have curly curstards that help loosen curls by weighing them down. You can also try a mini version of the shingling process that miss jessies deveolped. I suppose you wouldn't have to get so involved like the original process does. You can experiment and see how fast you can create a looser look in the back and all around. It would be a process that you might have to attempt sevearl times to get it right.

You can also make your own version of miss jesses there are a few recipes that are floating around. That you might want to attempt since you can't try shingling with just any leave in it has to be heavy and thick and have some hold.

Edited by DrunkClouds - Sep 05 2007 at 12:12pm
suburbanbushbab View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2007 at 1:11pm
Bless, a month isn't very long in hair time.  My natural hair has gone through a few changes since I began to co-wash, condition, and do deep treatments and use a goodleave-in.  The texture is more consistent, but it's not unifor and never will be.  It's different in different places and shrinks the same (a lot!). I have s-waves in some places corkscrews in others. I use a leave-in and gel to help make consistent texture.  Some good leave-ins for texture enhancement:

Curls Milkshake
Kinky Curly Knot Today
Sheamoisture Shea Butter leave-in
Beauty without Cruelty leave-in
Paul Mitchell the conditioner
Abba Nourishing Leave-in

Greetings View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2007 at 3:02pm
^ I've been natural my entire life (never had a perm...always wore my hair in braids though), but it isn't until recently that I've noticed the patterns in my head. This would probably be easier to manage if I DID get perms/relaxers though lol.

Thanks for the references! I'll be sure to try some of them out *smile*

Edited by Bless - Sep 05 2007 at 3:02pm
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic