Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Weaves / Extensions (Newbies)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI suck at splitting wefts

Post Reply Post Reply
Hair ViVi

Author
SweetNovember* View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Topic: I suck at splitting wefts
    Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 12:46am
I don't know what to do. I just tried to split a length of practice wefts and ended up cutting the weft into lots of pieces. I'm sick and tired of this. I don't understand why companies don't offer single wefts. What are we supposed to do with these hard ass, thick ass wefts? As soon as I put the blade in I cut a side of the weft. I've tried eyebrow razors and an exacto knife. My other option is thinning shears but that would be a waste of the hair. What am I doing wrong? Can I request single wefts?
Sponsored Links

f8dagrate View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 1:22am
Originally posted by SweetNovember* SweetNovember* wrote:

I don't know what to do. I just tried to split a length of practice wefts and ended up cutting the weft into lots of pieces. I'm sick and tired of this. I don't understand why companies don't offer single wefts. What are we supposed to do with these hard ass, thick ass wefts? As soon as I put the blade in I cut a side of the weft. I've tried eyebrow razors and an exacto knife. My other option is thinning shears but that would be a waste of the hair. What am I doing wrong? Can I request single wefts?

Do you already know how long you want the wefts to be? Are you using a pv or cv ?
LovesLace View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 9:09am
Originally posted by SweetNovember* SweetNovember* wrote:

It may not be you, some wefts are poorly constructed and should not be split. If you must split your wefts try using a seam ripper.
You could also request single wefts when you place your order.
SweetNovember* View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 4:01pm
Thanks, I'll try that. I don't think a seam ripper would work at all. It's as if they are already sealed. I used and exacto knife last night which wasn't sooo bad but I cut myself a few times lol.
cosmogirl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 4:29pm
I just use some slim scissors that are not to sharp.Embarrassed
musbjaz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 6:51pm
Yes some wefts are poorly constructed... I've had some that split perfectly and others that would split and at about 2 inches it would cut off from the entire weft.
DivaKeya View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 7:49pm
Get a seam ripper from the fabric store
ShadyLady View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 10:25pm
Split the end, and then kinda pull the rest apart. Also, try one of those little razor blades...be careful with a steady hand tho.
Tokyocereza View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2013 at 1:00am
I share in your pain!LOL I recently hacked up some kinky straight wefts. I sewed the ends all together to make the wefts a bit easier to deal with and sealed well. I wore them once and they gave me no issues, but I don't ever plan on trying to split my wefts again. If I had known I could order single wefts I certainly would have. 
Hair ViVi
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic