Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

I saw this bullshyt at the zoo today

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2014 at 7:35pm
I don't find it offensive on its face

But I know that type of advertising was exploitive and intended to be offensive 

Spread the word though, they think they're slick, next will be confederate flags
Sponsored Links

liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2014 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by rickysrose rickysrose wrote:

I don't find it offensive on its face

But I know that type of advertising was exploitive and intended to be offensive 

Spread the word though, they think they're slick, next will be confederate flags
phattrabbit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phattrabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2014 at 7:55pm
I'm sorry. I hate to sound ignorant, but what is offensive about the signs? Aren't those like vintage signs or something? Is it because "Mammies" where from the slave day? Honestly, I wouldn't have paid them much attention, but the woman looks like the woman on the  Aunt Jemima Syrup bottles that I see all the time in the stores. Not being sarcastic or anything. I would genuinely like to know so I do not stay in the dark.Smile
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2014 at 7:59pm
^^^The women are dressed to look like slaves/maids and the child's hair is uncombed. Sum mo=Some more. The mammy and the pickaninny stereotypes. I can understand them stocking nostalgic memorabilia that hearkens back to a better time but what was good about that? Is this something anyone should celebrate or want to reminisce about or recreate?
phattrabbit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote phattrabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2014 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

^^^The women are dressed to look like slaves/maids and the child's hair is uncombed. Sum mo=Some more. The mammy and the pickaninny stereotypes. I can understand them stocking nostalgic memorabilia that hearkens back to a better time but what was good about that? Is this something anyone should celebrate or want to reminisce about or recreate?

I see. Agreed. Thank you.
HaitianDiva64 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote HaitianDiva64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2014 at 8:33pm
No offense but we shouldn't be supporting zoos anyways if you want to take it there. Remember about 100 or less years ago they were keeping africans there to. I don't like takig my niece to see anything caged so they don't think it's natural
ragincajin View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ragincajin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2014 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

Hi Lies!
Do keep us posted to let us know how it goes.
I'm interested to hear what line they'll try to feed you on this ridiculousness.
ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2014 at 11:28pm
if black people had it i wouldn't really feel any kind of way bc the mammy figure is painful, but deserving of remembrance...i can just see how or why it could be appreciated by someone out there bc those are the women we came from, however they were more than a "mammy"...if i saw a white person or other non african american buying it then i'd feel queasy and uncomfortable.  Paula Deen probably had shyt like this hanging up in her kitchen.
JamCaygirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote JamCaygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2014 at 8:21am
As a black person I would not have that $hit hanging up in my house... If I'm going to display black images of yesteryear, it will be of inspiring people... Marcus Garvey, Martin Luther King, Malcolm X etc. Positive re-inforcement for my children.

I would side-eye the hell out of any white folks who had this proudly displayed....
mizzsandra00 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote mizzsandra00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2014 at 9:12am
So many white folks collect this shyt its crazy......
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic