Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth (Newbies)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I may just cut it all off again. Need Advice?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12

Author
darlinnic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darlinnic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 8:46am
Your not forgotten!!!
I'm going to read your post and look at your fotki
Sponsored Links

TRENDIIVERSE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRENDIIVERSE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 11:26am
Originally posted by darlinnic darlinnic wrote:

Your not forgotten!!!
I'm going to read your post and look at your fotki

Darlinnic can you make the link clickable please, it's not working for me.
littlebabybug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote littlebabybug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 12:11pm
i recommend cutting off the damage and starting from scratch. the key to having long hair is not damaging it in the first place. if you don't ever damage your hair you'd be amazed by how thick and long your hair can get in a relatively short space of time. 
When your hair's a TWA you really should just leave it alone and ignore it, only washing and moisturizing on a need to basis. but when your hair starts getting to NL stretched and SL then you should utilize either curl defining or stretching methods to keep your curls intact so that they don't tangle and matt and knot. i've had that experience and it's awful. Also start protective styling around this time. 
I recommend too avoiding heat altogether until you get your hair to where you want it, and even then when you do implement it be cautious. as you've seen, it is very easy to damage our hair. 
i suggest using roller sets or flexi sets or curlformers and things like that if you want a straighter texture without heat. Thumbs Up
If you want to blow out your hair, generally blow dryers are fine and much more gentle on the hair than flat iron, but you want to use the right technique for that. 
Practice leaving your hair alone for long periods (benign neglect) as your hair gets longer in protective styles to ensure optimal length retention. 
Products don't matter- just find something that keeps your hair moist or a routine that is built around moisture and protection.

Personally the only product i ever use is conditioner, and that only on wash day. it serves me well. My hair is about APL now and i last cut it 4 months ago to CBL, if that gives you a picture of how well my own routine works for me. 

Also, have patience. It will take a few months to a year or so to get the length that you desire, depending on if you cut. if you cut, it'll take you about two years going from a fresh shave. enjoy the ride and try not to think about your hair too much over the meanwhile. you'll get there. 

good luck! i've gone through what you have, if that helps. :)

i can totally relate to being one of the few naturals around. i don't even know anyone who's natural in my own personal circle except my aunt and grandma, if they count lol they're old phogies. but of my coworkers i'm the only natural- the rest of them have permed, breaking short hair except one, whose hair is healthy relaxed same length as mine. and there are tons of natural girls on campus but...they wear their hair a lot differently from how i wear mine so, eh. i feel like a fish outta water around other naturals sometimes. 
peaceloveandcurls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peaceloveandcurls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 7:21am
thank you for the advice! I can't wait to get it cut off.

here's the thing though. what happens if i get it cut and the hair is still breaking off? 

Edited by peaceloveandcurls - Nov 06 2012 at 7:24am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peaceloveandcurls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 7:26am
or maybe im just shedding? idk how to tell but a lot of my hair (i just scratched/massaged from back to front) is on my paper...it's little pieces of hair....yeah i must be breakage cuz it looks broken off from the strand. :/ 
KunoichiNindroid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KunoichiNindroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 9:45am
Castor oil did wonders for my edges. Also don't braid cornrows or closed weaves too often. And if you do box braids don't let them pull your edges too much. And use the castor oil daily because you wash the oils of your edges when you wash your face and shower usually.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peaceloveandcurls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 3:38pm
Yeah tats why im keeping my edges and nape out a bit whei gwt it braided :) i will start using castor oil again. and im going to do hairfinity. 
hairfanatic501 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairfanatic501 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2012 at 9:33pm
Your edges grow at an extremely slow rate so the best thing you can do is not put a lot of pressure on them and wait. In time they'll grow back unless you've caused severe follicle damage. 
littlebabybug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlebabybug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by peaceloveandcurls peaceloveandcurls wrote:

thank you for the advice! I can't wait to get it cut off.

here's the thing though. what happens if i get it cut and the hair is still breaking off? 

hm. if you cut off the damage then it shouldn't break anymore. now if it's only breaking when you detangle it, then that just means you should implement more texture-friendly and gentle detangling methods. how's your hair doing now? 
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style