Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
NinaS View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Topic: I have a few questions about S-Curl
    Posted: Aug 23 2009 at 1:36pm
I met someone yesterday who looked like she had her hair relaxed (it was styled in a cute chin-length bob and it was perfectly smooth). When I commented on how nice her hair looked, she told me that she did not relax her hair but used S-Curl. I was a little stunned because I always assumed that S-Curl was all about, well... curls. She proceeded to tell me that S-Curl gives you the curly effect only if your hair is short and that past a certain length, it will look like your hair is relaxed. She also says that it's a lot less damaging than relaxers.

I went natural close to 2 years ago after I noticed that my sides were disappearing. Although I like being natural, I'm not sure that I can keep up with it eternally (I braid my hair every night and let it out in the morning, which is quite tedious. And if I exercise or take a steamy shower, the curl pattern that I like to have disappears and I'm left with fuzz. I know that I will never go back to relaxing because it's too damaging for my hair and some people just can't handle it. Relaxing has always meant breakage and hair loss for me, no matter how well I tried to take care of my hair. So I'm wondering, is S-curl really much gentler and is it a viable solution for someone like me who cannot tolerate relaxing but would like to have my hair straight and exercise? Anybody have experience with this?

Thanks

PS: I forgot to say but she didn't just mean S-curl moisturizer. She made it sound like it was a chemical process (could it be some kind of jheri curl process that allows you to wear your hair smooth? There was none of that greasy drip at all, hair looked relaxed and she says her natural hair is 4a-4b)

Edited by NinaS - Aug 23 2009 at 1:59pm
Sponsored Links

NinaS View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2009 at 6:10pm
Zero answers??? Is it that no one knows what I'm talking about or the topic itself? I just wanted to know if it was indeed gentler on the hair than a relaxer...
jineat View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2009 at 6:25pm
I met a lady in the drug store a while back and she had neck length hair that had a wave pattern to it, and it was straight like a relaxer. She told me she had an S Curl which is a mild form of a relaxer to loosen the curl pattern. To me its still a chemical and as far as I've seen, nobody has ever had a extreme dryness or breakage like a relaxer, but then it all depends on how well you take care of your hair and how long it takes to process it. It's really about just taking good care of your hair.
Loves2Laugh View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2009 at 5:59pm
It seems to be a texturiser meaning properly applied it should be kinder to you hair than a relaxer. However, the effect you get will depend on your hair type as texturisers loosen/elongate the natural curl in your hair. If your hair has no curl eg you have 4b or 4c type hair IMO opinion you will get a 'yaki' effect. HTH

http://www.lusterproducts.com/products/Scurl/main.htm#
NinaS View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2009 at 5:38am
Originally posted by Loves2Laugh Loves2Laugh wrote:

It seems to be a texturiser meaning properly applied it should be kinder to you hair than a relaxer.

=Jneat

She told me she had an S Curl which is a mild form of a relaxer to loosen the curl pattern.

Hi ladies,

So S-curl is a mild relaxer? Then, what's there a difference between an S-Curl and a texturizer? About 7 years ago, I asked a stylist for a 'texturizer' and she told me she would use the exact same relaxer product that I was usually using but not leave it on as long. So I had her do it and the result was disastrous. My hair felt like when you're in that "in between" stage when you're transitioning and your hair is breaking like mad Ouch So I assumed that  "texturizers" weren't for me either. Did she do it the right way or should she have used a product that specifically said "texturizer" on the box?

If S-Curl is a mild relaxer, what's the difference with a texturizer, which is also a mild relaxer? I assumed that S-Curl was a completely different process that would allow me to wear my hair either curly or straight whenever I felt like it Confused. I don't get it. The girl I met who had the S-curl done, her hair was stick straight (not just loosened), as if she had done a full relaxer process, except she didn't experience breakage anymore. She also has the same hair texture as me when it's natural (4a-4b)

If all these processes (S Curl and texturizer) are essentially relaxers, than I'm assuming none of it will work on my hair, since I already tried a mild relaxer to texturize and it broke my hair off badly. What do you think? The annoying part is that I actually really like my natural hair, the upkeep is just getting too difficult, working 2 jobs...

Thanks for your input

Edited by NinaS - Aug 26 2009 at 5:57am
Loves2Laugh View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2009 at 6:55am
The link I provided above is for the Lusters Website - they do S-Curl. They don't have any relaxers listed , only a texturiser & a 'comb thru' texturiser.
neekie5235 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2009 at 12:29am

It seems to be a texturiser meaning properly applied it should be kinder to you hair than a relaxer. However, the effect you get will depend on your hair type as texturisers loosen/elongate the natural curl in your hair. If your hair has no curl eg you have 4b or 4c type hair IMO opinion you will get a 'yaki' effect. HTHhttp://www.lusterproducts.com/products/Scurl/main.htm#

lol OMG i didnt know s-curl was for men!!! i do not pay attention in the hair aisle obviously lol...

i wonder now how many dudes with waves in the club actually have a relaxer (because in my opinion, s curl is a texturizer aka mild relaxer thats not combed through or smoothed out)

i learn something new every day!!!

neekie5235 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2009 at 12:32am
Originally posted by NinaS NinaS wrote:

It seems to be a texturiser meaning properly applied it should be kinder to you hair than a relaxer.

=Jneat

She told me she had an S Curl which is a mild form of a relaxer to loosen the curl pattern.

Hi ladies,

So S-curl is a mild relaxer?Then, what's there a difference between an S-Curl and a texturizer? About 7 years ago, I askeda stylist for a'texturizer' and she told me she would use the exact same relaxer product that I was usually using but not leave it on as long. So I had her do it and the result was disastrous. My hair felt like when you're inthat "in between" stage when you're transitioning and your hair is breaking like mad [IMG>http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/smileys/smiley18.gif" height="17" width="17" align="absmiddle" alt="Ouch" />So I assumed that"texturizers" weren't for me either. Did she do it the right way or should she have useda product that specifically said "texturizer" on the box?

If S-Curl is a mild relaxer, what's the difference with a texturizer, which is also a mild relaxer? I assumed that S-Curl was a completely different process that would allow me to wear my hair either curlyor straight whenever I felt like it [IMG>http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/smileys/smiley5.gif" height="17" width="17" align="absmiddle" alt="Confused" />. I don't get it. The girl Imet who had the S-curl done, her hair was stick straight (not just loosened), as if she had done a full relaxer process, except she didn't experience breakage anymore. She alsohas thesamehair texture as me when it's natural (4a-4b)

If all these processes (S Curl and texturizer)areessentially relaxers, than I'm assumingnone of it will work on my hair, since I already tried a mild relaxer to texturize and it broke my hair off badly. What do you think?The annoying part is that Iactually really likemy natural hair, the upkeep is just getting too difficult, working 2 jobs...

Thanks for your input

when my home girl used to get an s-curl, she got the same exact results as when she used just for me... i dunno for sure if they're really the same, but every one who i know has ever got an s-curl has gotten the same thing from a very mild relaxer...
Cocoa View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2009 at 9:41pm
Iv always wondered this coz im thinking of a way to tame my 4b hair without relaxing and damaging it
kelly_gt09 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 16 2009 at 1:48am
good info
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic