Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

I Hate My 'Ghetto' Name. Can I Change It?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 16171819>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Lonisha87 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lonisha87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2013 at 12:19am
Originally posted by ModelessDiva ModelessDiva wrote:

Originally posted by aNgElIc*SoUl aNgElIc*SoUl wrote:

Originally posted by keelolo1 keelolo1 wrote:

what I hate the most is when the girl has a ghetto name after their dad:
Kevin- kevinishia
Albert- Albertine
mike- mikethia
Gary- garysha
Charles- charlesetta 

I hate that too, it's verrrrry rare that it sounds ok. There was a David'eisha in my 4th grade class.

I went to highschool with a Garysha and Curtisha.

And wasn't none of these damn deadbeats even in their daughters lives

yep that's usually how it goes
Dead

Lonnie-Lonisha :( :( y'all are mean
Sponsored Links

_ConcreteRose_ View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote _ConcreteRose_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2013 at 12:49am
All names were made up at some point and time. Yes, some names seems silly to me (like the ones named after luxury cars lol) but sometimes i feel too mamy people spend time being critical of the name then they do of the society that discriminates based on a "ghetto" name.

_ConcreteRose_ View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote _ConcreteRose_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2013 at 1:00am
Awww. I like your name lonisha. Honestly I can understand why someone would want to do that because its sentimental. Its why my mom named my bro my grandma's maiden name. She wanted to keep it in the family.
Lonisha87 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lonisha87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2013 at 2:30am
Originally posted by _ConcreteRose_ _ConcreteRose_ wrote:

Awww. I like your name lonisha. Honestly I can understand why someone would want to do that because its sentimental. Its why my mom named my bro my grandma's maiden name. She wanted to keep it in the family.

Thanks. Yeah they did it for pretty much the same reasons. I'm names after my oldest brother, sperm donor, and grandfather. I grew to love my name. I hated bein named after a guy for the longest
foxyroy19 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxyroy19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2013 at 5:26am
My daughters name is River...they always assume she is a white boy...lol
Butta Cookie View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Butta Cookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2013 at 6:53am
My name is not necessary ghetto but it's a mess. Folks try to say it by looking at it and jack it up. That ie gets them because the I is silent. When I googled my name to see how many folks have it was 15. I've learn to accept it. It came from a little girl my mom kept when baby sitting in the 1950's. She liked it so much she gave it to me! *yay me* O.o
Ladybird0724 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ladybird0724 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2013 at 8:28am
Originally posted by BonitaApplebaum BonitaApplebaum wrote:

Originally posted by nekamarie83 nekamarie83 wrote:

Originally posted by BonitaApplebaum BonitaApplebaum wrote:

Kristen is my sister's name. My name is very white and very common. My mom gave all of us (me and my 2 sisters) White names. I wanted to change mine to Marie when I was younger (my Aunts girlfriends name) but I learned to deal..
sooo.... you wanted to change it from one common white name to another?  

take it from me, as a marie, you didn't miss out on anything. hahhaha!! 

I thought Marie was the bomb name back in the day! My mom named us Kelley, Kristen, and Katelyn... Like really Mom? I guess Id rather have a white name then one that's considered "ghetto".
These heffas be making up names, meshing names into one. I met a girl name Kanekalon, yes like the braiding hair.

noooooooo LOL

this thread reminds me of the book "Chrysanthemum"

and that one part of "bebe's kids" where the little girl (was her name lakeisha?) was looking at license plates and couldn't find hers and was like "there's like 7 lakeishas in my class" or something like that.

i remember that struggle Cry

i think that some [white] ppl need to understand that they have standard names and varioations of those names (katheryn=katie; caitlyn/caitlin/katelyn/kalee/kalleigh/kaley)

and we have standard names and variations of those names (keisha=lakeisha/takeisha; neisha/tanisha/ other -eisha names). and that while we are their names are considered creative, ours should be too.

zolloh View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zolloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2013 at 12:44pm
Question: those who choose Arabic names as a way to shun Euro-centric/Anglo names don't realize that Arabs were quite active in slave trade, way before the trans-Atlantic slave trade ever started? Geek
TexturizedDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexturizedDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2013 at 1:31pm
I have a very white Irish name.  I think it's ugly.  I'd like a prettier, more girly name...ion' care whether it's black or white.
MissCapricorn View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MissCapricorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2013 at 5:41pm
Meridith?
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style