Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I Hate My 'Ghetto' Name. Can I Change It?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
petiteone29 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petiteone29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2013 at 4:58pm
Hmm. I think some people cross the lines though. I've heard some ridiculous names. I knew a chick named Queenmika in highschool and she wanted to name her child Kingmonte. I begged her not to.
Sponsored Links

nekamarie83 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nekamarie83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2013 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by BonitaApplebaum BonitaApplebaum wrote:

I thought Marie was the bomb name back in the day!

it's all fun and games until you live in predominately catholic city. everyone has the name "marie" or "mary". 

yeah-- i'd much rather have my "made up" swahili/hebrew and egyptian name any day. 
BBpants View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBpants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2013 at 5:51pm
I hate my first name. It's plain and every damn girl has it. I rather have a ghetto fablous name than my plain jane name.
coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2013 at 6:05pm
my name looks a little ghetto i think.. but it doesnt sound ghetto. its more on the unique side.. 

i loves it. id hate to have a normal name that millions of other ppl have. 
but if i had to choose between a normal name and boomeequa.. id probably go with a normal name.  
uppitynegroid View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote uppitynegroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2013 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by Samoneisthebest Samoneisthebest wrote:

Originally posted by uppitynegroid uppitynegroid wrote:

The problem with the video is that she is lumping intellectual, pro-blacks with hoodrats that just want to give their baby a cute name that rhymes.  All black people don't give their children "unique" names to reject Euro-centrism.  Some of them are just ignorant people who put little to no thought as to the social, psychological, or economic consequences of giving a child a name with 2 hyphens, 3 apostrophes, and 5 randomly placed accent marks.

You seem to be one of those people who live by the "us" and "them" policy...  homegirl in the hood couldn't possibly be naming her child whatever the heck she want to name them because she doesn't give a damn about what a white person wants. Her dismissal of the white people's standards is merely accidental. Its simply because she is poor and ignorant and doesn't know any better. Obviously if she were a good black her name choice would make more sense and actually count toward rebellion against the man...

Ermm

No, no, and no again to all your ridiculous assertions.  Good night.
uppitynegroid View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote uppitynegroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2013 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by melikey melikey wrote:

The problem with the video is that she is lumping intellectual, pro-blacks with hoodrats that just want to give their baby a cute name that rhymes.  All black people don't give their children "unique" names to reject Euro-centrism.  Some of them are just ignorant people who put little to no thought as to the social, psychological, or economic consequences of giving a child a name with 2 hyphens, 3 apostrophes, and 5 randomly placed accent marks.

In practice it is all treated the same. For instance, my name is the word "soul" in a different language. It is a religious name. there are a couple of other people in the US with my name and they are white (i found out through googleLOL). But guess who is accused of having a ghetto name? they see me with a name that does not have english origins and make wild assumptions about it being ghetto & made up, I don't separate my name from those who names ARE in fact made up because we share the same struggle. 

Is your name Bou-ghe'tica'laquisha?  Well then I don't lump your name into that category.  If whites do, well, I wouldn't be surprised.  Like you said, your name actually has a meaning in a language.  Some thought was put into it.  Not every black person can say the same.  Same way a lot of people think Condoleeza Rice's name is ghetto, but she was named after a famous Italian musical composition. 

Let's not compare Aisha and Shante to Desire'qua'boom'laqua.  Come on yall!
ModelessDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ModelessDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2013 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by aNgElIc*SoUl aNgElIc*SoUl wrote:

Originally posted by keelolo1 keelolo1 wrote:

what I hate the most is when the girl has a ghetto name after their dad:
Kevin- kevinishia
Albert- Albertine
mike- mikethia
Gary- garysha
Charles- charlesetta 

I hate that too, it's verrrrry rare that it sounds ok. There was a David'eisha in my 4th grade class.

I went to highschool with a Garysha and Curtisha.

And wasn't none of these damn deadbeats even in their daughters lives

yep that's usually how it goes
Dead

carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2013 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by melikey melikey wrote:

In practice it is all treated the same. For instance, my name is the word "soul" in a different language. It is a religious name. there are a couple of other people in the US with my name and they are white (i found out through googleLOL). But guess who is accused of having a ghetto name? they see me with a name that does not have english origins and make wild assumptions about it being ghetto & made up, I don't separate my name from those who names ARE in fact made up because we share the same struggle. 
Guuurl!

If I name my baby Armani, it will be considered a ghetto trashy name.LOL
herwoman View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2013 at 11:06pm
My SO has a ghetto name, I hate it! Her mom likes middle eastern names her brothers name is equally ghetto. When I first met her I would tell people her name was Kim.
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2013 at 11:37pm
^Oh, so you just making up names for the missus? I c u herwoman.LOL
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Make Them Stare Hair
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819>