Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I Hate My 'Ghetto' Name. Can I Change It?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 19>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2013 at 3:36am
The day I change my name to placate a white person is the day you can shoot me right there.

Interesting how white folks think when a white person names their baby "Isis," it is suddenly "unique."
Sponsored Links

Az~Maverick View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote Az~Maverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2013 at 3:52am
White people have been changing our names since slavery. Always trying to minimize and simplify things on minorities to make it "easier" for them. Fuk them. 

If I gotta live with "Pilot Inspektor" and "Talullah Does The Hula from Hawaii", they can live with Laquita.
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2013 at 4:08am
Originally posted by modelbusiness82 modelbusiness82 wrote:

Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

"Think about the fact that you'll probably never meet someone from Germany by the name of Adolf. Any muslim who truly doesn't want to b"e stigmatized in a Western culture probably would think twice about naming their child Osama or Saddam. "

Omg , we've come to equating the stigma of dictators and murderers to Keisha?
Goodness.

I don't like is subject .
Ill just hmm and rock

Well based on the article in the OP, she can't even get an invite to an interview for a serious job because of her name. So, yeah that's pretty stigmatizing. Much like the names Adolph, Osama and the swastika itself which was in fact a symbol of spring & for temples but was twisted by a nutjob. Much like how the people are twisting this poor girl's name to be the butt of jokes and to marginalize her because of something she had no control over.

For better or worse, it may not be PC to say it, but there are names that will send your resume to the trash can if whoever's in charge of HR isn't "open minded" enough to go past the header to actually read the substance of your resume.

Reality hurts.

it's even been said on here by folks who have worked in HR that silly things such as that is enough to get your resume shredded without even looking to see that your resume might be exactly what they want.

I have a family member who changed her name for this reason.  Her name imo wasn't even ghetto but....that's her whatever.  Her mom was hurt at first....but then understood once she had to start sending out her own resumes in this new market.

*typo

Edited by newdiva1 - May 18 2013 at 5:06am
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2013 at 4:30am
I'm on the fence with this one. It's not about pleasing white people, it's more about giving a child a chance to not be summarily dismissed in the workplace because their name already tells on their ethnicity. It's not fair but it's a racist society and everyone knows it. I would want my kids to have every tool available to them.
Of course, if you have an ethnic last name, that sort of cancels out this whole logic. Although I actually see nothing wrong with Keisha or Khadija for example, as they are actual names that exist out there and I'm fully aware that it's all about white people's stupidity. However, Laquisha, Bonquisha and Jermajesty are just plain ugly and stupid names, on top of hurting your chances at employment/advancement, as fucced up as that may be. 
MizzAmirah View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MizzAmirah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2013 at 4:50am
If I had a ghetto name, bug or any name that sounds like something off a Taco Bell menu, best believe I'd change it. With apologies to no one.
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (8) Thanks(8)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2013 at 5:29am
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

that was a good read and it gave me something to think about that i dont want to tackle right now.  imma file it away in my brain for later.

nooooooooooooooo

LOL i tuck things away when i dont want to deal with or what i'm about to learn something painful about myself. 

but i woke up this morning thinking about a Noam Chomsky lecture i recently listened to where he mentioned how blacks in the U.S. only ever really had a few years of freedom after slavery because  it was reintroduce in 1877 with north/south compromise that virtually criminalized "black life".
We have been systematically programmed to hate everything about ourselves.  So makes me wonder, is there is anything we think about ourselves that is true?  in Stockholm syndrome the trauma the victim faces is so severe that the he will unconsciously identify with the aggressor by taking on his same beliefs in the hopes that it will alleviate the threat. doesnt this sound familiar?

maybe everything we see is viewed with our white eyes, our white perception of the world.
maybe everything we believe and everything that we've ever been told about who we are is a lie because theyve criminalized our mere existence.

yeah i can see that i still dont want to think about this now but part of me thinks that this refusal to name children to appease whites might just be the last act of rebellion for a people who have given up everything.

nitabug View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nitabug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2013 at 5:42am
My problem with dumb names is that they are made up by young girs when they are in jr high.
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2013 at 5:48am
Who cares that's it's made up.
Thats kinda how sh*t is done....
Names don't grow from trees...they don't sprinkle from the sky...they're made up.
keelolo1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote keelolo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2013 at 6:03am
what I hate the most is when the girl has a ghetto name after their dad:
Kevin- kevinishia
Albert- Albertine
mike- mikethia
Gary- garysha
Charles- charlesetta 
CherryBlossom View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2013 at 6:46am
I like my name(s). Approve
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 19>