Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

I dont know

Post Reply Post Reply
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
callmeDEva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote callmeDEva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I dont know
    Posted: Mar 04 2014 at 3:56pm
Hey ya'll! I haven't posted in forever. How is everyone doing in these BHM streets?

I don't even know what to name this thread. But I'm pissed. And need to vent/seek advice.

Ok. So this is my first semester in my second degree (Business Admin/Management). The focus of the class is primarily discussing the disproportionate amount of women and minorities in management, why this occurs, what we can do about it etc. We also touch on sexual orientation, and some other factors supervisors/managers may use to discriminate when hiring.

This week we started talking about ethnicity/race. My professor brought up an article in which our university, which is also a PWI, was recognized nationally for graduating minorities more than whites. This has been a trend since 2009ish. She asked us what we thought about this, and a Mexican-American female who is pretty outspoken says "I hate studies like this. Why try to have us compete against each other? There's been a CONTROVERSIAL article out about Black girls and how they are supposedly the most educated, and I think it's just dumb. I don't even know if the article is real but I had to log off of Facebook because all the Black girls I'm friends with kept talking about it. Who cares."

At this point I'm seething. And I'm looking around the class at the other Black women/men (there's about 5 of us) and they're just sitting there with blank faces. Ok...so i'll bite. I have to say something because at this point I'm pissed and feeling damn disrespected. I said how proud I was of the article, and how it's beautiful to see something so positive in the media about us. How far we've come as a people to go from not even being ALLOWED the right to a fair education...and now look at us......entire class is quiet. I can tell some people may have been uncomfortable.

I called my Mom to tell her and she says I should have just chilled and said nothing because obviously the other folks got the memo not to to be the angry/bitter Black person. But seriously? Is that how we're supposed to handle situations like this? Is this not a teachable moment? Obviously homegirl didn't understand why this article and statistics like it can be celebrated by everyone, but I was just surprised I was the only one to say something?

I'm coming from a degree in Dietetics so everyone is pretty much trying to make it out of Chem/bio classes without a C. I've never been in the situation where I'm discussing race with a mixed crowd. But this class is draining me. I'm always leaving feeling like I'm the only one representing my race and speaking up.

Ugh. Sorry so long. I hope ya'll read it. But how do you handle situations like this???
Sponsored Links

Bonjour baby ooowee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Bonjour baby ooowee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2014 at 4:03pm
do you/ say what you feelWink it's SOOO prevelant black folks makin all kinds of strides so some folks do get jealous and act out like mexican chick LOL bests believe she be checkin you and other black chicks on etiquette/ swag / demeanor and MOREShocked however whatever your 1st reaction is usually is the correct one/ you dont have to be all laid back all the time that aint the ticket all the time its fine to speak your mind ... exhale all that ignant bullsheiitt just like she did EXCEPT yours is validStar

Edited by Bonjour baby ooowee - Mar 04 2014 at 4:05pm
Bribby View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Bribby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2014 at 4:40pm
I think the way you handled it was good. You did not attack the girl, rather you put a different spin on it. Saying you know about the article and how you proud of it you are. At least you didn't attack the girl you had a good point.
Lonisha87 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Lonisha87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2014 at 7:48pm
I think you handled the situation just fine
coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2014 at 7:51pm
i dont see anything wrong with what you said. 

she'll think twice next time before she makes dumb comments 

Mixer View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Mixer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2014 at 7:53pm
You did nothing wrong. It sounds like you're a little bit worried about people that just don't get it. Throw away that little bit and you'll be fine.
DiorShowGirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote DiorShowGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2014 at 8:46pm
u shut her down in a respectful way and the way you handled it was great..very professional..her mexican man must of left her for a black female..a very educated black female
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic