Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Care - General
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - I don't know what moisturized hair feels like...?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

I don't know what moisturized hair feels like...?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
MissDomo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MissDomo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I don't know what moisturized hair feels like...?
    Posted: Sep 17 2012 at 5:10pm
I don't know if it's the products I'm using...the methods of drying, but no matter what I use on my hair, I only get a momentary feeling of moisture. Or maybe my hair is just wet. I don't know the difference. I like the feeling though---but it never lasts more than 10 minutes *sigh*. Also my ends are subject to drying out first no matter how much of the product I use on them.

The only moisturizing products I have of now are my deep conditioning packs - 
I deep condition once a week btw..
(I mix all of these together to deep condition)
ORS Olive oil Replenishing Pak
Mega Thick Intense Repair Doo Gro
Mega Long Extreme Reconstructor Doo Gro
and Milk Protein & Olive oil sofn'free

And I use the 

Africa's best Kids organics hair lotion, shea butter detangling moisturizing lotion

as a daily moisturizer...
(Everyone raves about this stuff, but idk it's like any other thing I use. A nice 10 minutes of moisture then once my hair dries BAM crunchy hair.... maybe I have to use it more, i just got it yesterday :P )

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I usually judge how moisturized my hair is by rubbing my fingers against my scalp, and by touching my hair. My hair feels like...idk sorta like soft hay, it sounds a bit crunchy too. And my scalp makes a drying sound when I rub against it. Is this all normal or am i doing something terribly wrong? 

Edited by MissDomo - Sep 17 2012 at 5:13pm
Sponsored Links

Veemack View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Veemack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2012 at 1:07am
Your story is a popular one. It sounds like your hair is overly porous.
Co wash with conditioner (do away with all shampoo for now)
DC with a good moisturizing conditioner.
Do not mix all of those conditioners together at once, use the ORS replenishing pack by itself
After you rinse conditioner out with cool water.
Pour a mixture of apple cider vinegar and bottled water over your hair let it sit for 3 minutes, then rinse with cold water for 3 more minutes. Use 1/4 ACV to 2 cups of bottled water. (do not do more than once every two weeks)
Proceed with applying your leave in conditioner and style.

Beware of harsh alcohols in your hair products. Apply a natural oil to your hair daily.
EVOO, CO or grapeseed oil.

Edited by Veemack - Sep 18 2012 at 1:11am
MissDomo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissDomo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2012 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Veemack Veemack wrote:

Pour a mixture of apple cider vinegar and bottled water over your hair let it sit for 3 minutes, then rinse with cold water for 3 more minutes. Use 1/4 ACV to 2 cups of bottled water. (do not do more than once every two weeks) 

Thanks for all your suggestions Veemack, but what exactly is the above supposed to do for my hair? Also I was thinking of mixing glycerin, evoo, and water together as a moisturizer...is this another thing I should not be mixing or would it do me some good? I'll google some more about over porous hair, thanks again!
Veemack View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veemack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2012 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by MissDomo MissDomo wrote:

Originally posted by Veemack Veemack wrote:

Thanks for all your suggestions Veemack, but what exactly is the above supposed to do for my hair? Also I was thinking of mixing glycerin, evoo, and water together as a moisturizer...is this another thing I should not be mixing or would it do me some good? I'll google some more about over porous hair, thanks again!
Overly porous hair absorbs water really quickly but it also releases water rather quickly. This is why some feel their hair eats up product, because you hair is absorbing it fast but releasing any benefits it gets from the DC. All hair is porous but most Afro hair is overly porous you want to get you hair to a balance. The ACV rinse helps your hair cuticle to close and lay flat and this traps in the moisture from your DC. Healthy hair should keep its moisture for 2 days at least before needing to apply anymore product. If you hair is overly porous it does not matter how good the conditioner or product is that you use, it will not work. Correct your overly porous issue and even a cheap conditioner will work miraculous. ACV is also
 anti bacteria. and helps with an itchy scalp.

Edited by Veemack - Sep 18 2012 at 11:08pm
KunoichiNindroid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KunoichiNindroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 9:57am
Sounds more like protein overload to me. I literally have the same problem. You can check out the last post on my blog to see if it's really similar to mine. You might have protein sensitive hair especially since most of the products you're using have protein.
KunoichiNindroid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KunoichiNindroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 10:00am
Actually looking at the products you're using I'm 99.99% sure it's protein overload.
sugabanana View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 10:38am
I'm in the same boat. I wash my hair and it feels luscious for like 10 minutes then back to crunch city. If I do the baggy trick then the hair feel ooober luscious for like 15 minutes. The air zaps it.  Yesterday I used mane & tail clarifying shampoo to start all over. My hair felt squeaky...Like wet shoes on a shiny floor you know that sound.(not sure if its supposed to make sounds) Is this a good thing or bad thing. 

I'm not going to use any shampoos for a while until I solve this mystery of am I overly pourous or do I have protein overload...That is the question????

I'm told cones are the beast so everything I have now has a cone or 2 in it. Some of the product also have alcohol. I'm hearing alcohol is the devil.

Chime in ladies cos I need this hair to grow and grow right. Everyone has such an amazing attitude with awesome results!

Edited by sugabanana - Nov 06 2012 at 10:41am
Veemack View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veemack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 11:59am
Protein especially the weak ones listed in the products the OP is using will rinse off of your hair strands very easily with shampoo. Contrary to popular beliefs protein is not usually the issue. You must get your hair to retain its moisture for more than just a day.
sugabanana View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 12:06pm
Product suggestions please...after an AVC rinse?
MissDomo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissDomo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 2:13pm
I stopped doing ACV rinses for the time. I believe that my skin on my scalp and around it are too sensitive for apple cider vinegar. I think my hair is just naturally dry, but if it is protein overload why am I receiving large amounts of breakage still?

Thanks for all the replies!

Edited by MissDomo - Nov 16 2012 at 2:15pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures