Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

I desperately need some HELP!

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
CrazyBeautiful5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyBeautiful5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I desperately need some HELP!
    Posted: Aug 29 2013 at 11:50am
So this is me....

I've been getting relaxers since i was 12. I became fed up with it ALL in october of last year. Fed up with the breakage, smoothing the new growth and getting touchups every 6 weeks. So my last relaxer was in october and I started transitioning. In May I put in kinky twists but took them out soon after because my edges were breaking. 

So after I took them out i was like eff it.... i'm cutting off all my relaxed ends which was about 6-8 inches of my hair. So now i'm rocking lil afro which I don't feel comfortable with most of the time... but it is what it is. 

I have TRUE 4c hair... coils that are generally the size the tube in a pen that holds the ink. In some spots the coils are bigger but not by very much. 

I get strands of strands of hair in my hands that fall/break out every time wash my hair. I wash every 2 days. I have to be honest i could do more with moisturizing and protecting my hair but I don't have a moisturizing routine... i just use leave in conditioner and wet my hair everyday and wash/cowash every 2 days. i also don't protect my hair at night with a scarf, and wake up looking like gumby most of the time LOL So is this the cause of the breakage? not moisturizing and not protecting my hair at night?

Does anyone have any recommendations for moisturizers and techniques to define 4c curls? 

Sponsored Links

NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2013 at 2:20pm
I recommend the LOC/LCO method which is liquid, oil and cream done at night.  You can chose whatever product you have in your stash to keep your hair moisturized.  There are youtube tutorials for more information.
krisviola1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krisviola1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2013 at 11:04am
It seems like you already know the answer. Protect your hair at night with a scarf, bonnet or satin pillowcase. I would try banding my hair at night if I were you with some soft hair ties or sliced pantyhose.

If what you are doing now for your hair isn't enough to keep it moisturized, try sealing the moisture in with some oil. Any oil will do, for example olive oil, coconut, castor, canola, vegetable, Crisco or shea.
Ritle View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2013 at 9:02pm
Washing your hair every 2 days might be too much for your hair. Especially with the texture description once a week or bi-weekly should be sufficient for it to stay clean.

If you have TRUE 4c hair as you say, then you won't be able to define the coils, so your focus will mainly have to be moisture.
You could always do braid/twist/bantu outs or use rods or rollers for sets.

Cover your hair with a satin(make sure it's finely woven satin made from polyester or silk, satin made from cotton will dry the hair out.) scarf at night.

The shampoo and conditioner you use could contribute to drying out your hair if there are ingredients in them that dehydrate, like sodium lauryl sulfate.

Are they free of sulfates, parabens and silicones(the silicones are handy to protect the hair from heat, but might prevent moisture from getting in under regular circumstances) ?

I ask because you haven't mentioned using any additional moisturizers which could mean that the conditioner you are leaving in might not be providing your hair with the moisture it needs. And if that is the case even sealing with an oil won't help, you will need an additional (water based)moisturizer (first ingredient will be water) that does get the job done, or you will have to find a moisturizing conditioner... and once you do, you will notice that sealing with an oil (or oil based moisturizer) will help lock the moisture in.

You will need something that provides moisture first, if your hair is dehydrated by the wrong ingredients and you seal it, you will be locking moisture out and your hair will become dehydrated.

You can do an ingredients check here to see if the products you are currently using have drying ingredients in them: http://www.tightlycurly.com/ingredients

You may also want to deep condition once in a while, maybe once every two weeks or once a week, it will help keep your moisture balance in check.

Good luck.

Edited by Ritle - Aug 30 2013 at 9:12pm
mstinycurls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstinycurls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2013 at 9:13am
Oh my...Confused
      Just Shampoo once a week.  It sounds like your hair doesn't like the frequent shampooing. 
      Deep condition once a week or every other week. 
      Find a good leave in conditioner and seal hair with oil.
      Find a silk scarf, cap or pillion to sleep in....

You may want to keep it simple for the next month or two to get your hair back on track. Smile
bebe88 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bebe88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2013 at 12:40pm
Reduce shampoo use
LOC
Protect hair at night
bebe88 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bebe88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2013 at 12:41pm
Deep condition regularly
Queensheba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Queensheba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2013 at 11:59am
deep condition every week has been a life saver for me as well as cowashing  is  a great start im also trying to find out what works also just big chopped in april..
hairluuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairluuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2013 at 1:00pm
Also, what is your diet like? Do you eat fruits and veggies and drink plenty of water? Juice fresh fruits and veggies. This will change your life! It will make your hair, nails, and body healthy. Wear a silk bonnet/scarf at night always. Use Aphogee conditioner once a week. Stinks to high heaven (don't know if they've changed this formula) but it will strengthen your hair as time goes by. Happy hair journey to you.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply