Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth (Newbies)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

I CAN'T GROW HAIR WITH SEW-IN WEAVES!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
cooljennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cooljennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I CAN'T GROW HAIR WITH SEW-IN WEAVES!
    Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 11:39pm
Hello everyone!

I am VERY new to forums, so my apologies if I'm doing anything wrong!

I have been trying to grow my hair long for FIVE (Yes, I said five) YEARS! I don;t know what I'm doing wrong, so I really would love someone to help me. I must admit that my hair has grown (from shorter than ear length to shoulder length) but it's VERY slow growth. For the past five years I have done protective styles. Now, my current protective style is sew-in weaves.

My current regiment:

- Put in sew-in.
- Leave in for 2-3 months.
- Take out sew-in at night.
- Put new one in next day.

* I wash my hair once a week now (Herbal Essences: Long Term Relationship). I used to wash it only every 2-3 months when I took it down because I washed my hair incorrectly and lost SO MUCH hair due to matting and knotting.

* I take Biotin and Folic Acid daily.

* My edges are DESTROYED so I put Jamaican Black Castor Oil on my edges and through my tracks, massaging for two minutes every night. How else can I grow out my edges faster?

* I want to be relaxed, however, I haven't relaxed my hair in almost a year (a year in April). When I took down my last hair my hair had about 4-5 inches of relaxed hair and the rest was virgin un-relaxed hair. Would it be a good idea to relax now or should I wait for the relaxer to grow out my hair and then relax it??

Anyway, thank you for reading my post, I hope someone can help me! I am currently am shoulder length. My goal is Bra Strap Length right now! Thank you!   
Sponsored Links

rell85 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rell85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2013 at 1:23am

I think cause you keep your sew-in so long you taking your hair out so it's no progress you give your hair no break you should let it rest some sounds you put alot stress on your hair don't think your hair respond well to braiding or your whole regimen.

rell85 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rell85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2013 at 1:39am

could you try full wigs and maybe twisting your in flat twist or 2strand under the wig or try other protective style no braids though even bunning wouldn't be but that's if you ok with wearing your edges out. i don't think castor oil will help ppl say it thicken hair but i've never seen it restore edges. if your hair not damaged go ahead and relax it's what you want and may get better results you know what your hair likes.

iluvmihair View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote iluvmihair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2013 at 5:22am
I would take your weave out after 2 months. I don't recommend washing while in the weave (this works for me..). When you take your weave out do this:

*Pull the tracks up so you can clearly see the thread and snip the thread ONLY. Do this to take your weave out. This always helps me make sure I don't snip my hair.

*Take your braids down, but comb WHILE you go along. Take a wide tooth comb and comb while you take down. Don't wait till you have your whole head to comb, it will be too much to detangle.

The next steps of conditioning and washing should take place over a couple days. Hopefully on your days off on do nothing days. If you have to go somewhere, throw on a wig or pretty scarf over your plastic cap.

*Heavily apply conditioner and oil on you hair (and oil on your scalp). I mean drench it. Put a plastic cap on and let your hair DC for the whole day or under heat for a couple hours. DCing on dry hair is one of my FAVS!

*Wash your hair as usual.

*Do a protein treatment (you can do this instead of the first DC if you would like)

*Wash your hair as usual.

*Deep condition again on wet or dry hair.

*Wash your hair as usual, follow with your leave ins. 

*Wear a bun for a week or two. You can change the position of the bun every three days. You can put a plastic bag on your ends if you you wear a phony pony. You should moisturize and seal daily and simply take off the hair tie at night before you put on your night scarf. Dress up your bun with bangs, headbands, bows, etc.

I also suggest you cut the relax ends and wait to relax until you feel like your hair is in better shape. Good luck, God bless, and HHG!Clap
CrysAngel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CrysAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2013 at 5:39am
Bumping iluvmyhair! You said you had 5 inches of growth within a yr. That's actually quite normal since the average length your hair grows is 6 inches a year. I'm t thinking wigs would be a better option for you. You need to let your hair breathe, daily, but don't stop the protective styles!
Also don't be alarmed by the amount of hair coming out after 3 months of braids. Most is shed hair, a natural process. U lose a few stands per day, imagine 3 months...
Kurls2Kinks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurls2Kinks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 19 2013 at 9:42am
I agree with CyrsAngel, I wore installs and my hair barely grew. I switched to wigs that i was able to take off nightly and I moisturized my hair and my length went from ear length to shoulder length in 4 months. I was surprised myself.

I think you need to find what works for your hair. Most have amazing growth while in installs for months. Some don't, I realized my hair needed more attention and that is why i make and wear my wigs.

CrysAngel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CrysAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 20 2013 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by Kurls2Kinks Kurls2Kinks wrote:

I agree with CyrsAngel, I wore installs and my hair barely grew. I switched to wigs that i was able to take off nightly and I moisturized my hair and my length went from ear length to shoulder length in 4 months. I was surprised myself.

I think you need to find what works for your hair. Most have amazing growth while in installs for months. Some don't, I realized my hair needed more attention and that is why i make and wear my wigs.

Yeeeeeeah my first acknowledgment!!!
femmemuscleisback View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote femmemuscleisback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2013 at 7:22pm
i tried posting here before, but BHM was acting up.  "Only members w/sufficient access..".. any way...

congrats on acknowledging that everyone cannot have the "best of both worlds".. it's been over 20+ years of weaves.  Each "weavologist" promising me while taking my hard earned cash - we're talking tens of thousands of dollars over those years - they could grow my hair with weaves.

First off?  i'm a fine 4c hair.  It took over 20+ years to realize that my fine hair cannot handle the weight of the tracks, the hair and the tension of a weave.  There were also "inappropriate" practices in play. 

Perming my full head of hair,

then tightly braiding it in tracks while still wet,

then putting it under a net,

then the weave on top of it.

Those weavelogists saw the bald patches all over my head from different "anchoring" positions of the tracks.  But didn't acknowledge them.  They just kept right on taking my money - gladly. one of those beauticians in Las Vegas who's now an ex-convict (her name is Stormy, btw), slipped and said that i would be a "weave head" for the rest of my life.  That's a person who has barely any hair on their head - but just enough to hold a few weave tracks..

After several setbacks - and i mean several - i came to the conclusion that everyone can't wear them.  Thanks to being on able to come on a hair board like BHM, and vent, lurk, vent, learn, experiment, fail, and try again, i'm on a hair journey.

You can't go on just ANY hair board and do this.. believe me.  i learned my lesson with LHCF.. lot of divas there.  you just can't "be real" there without being e-stoned.

and pay them to do it..Confused
femmemuscleisback View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemuscleisback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2013 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by rell85 rell85 wrote:

could you try full wigs and maybe twisting your in flat twist or 2strand under the wig or try other protective style no braids though even bunning wouldn't be but that's if you ok with wearing your edges out. i don't think castor oil will help ppl say it thicken hair but i've never seen it restore edges. if your hair not damaged go ahead and relax it's what you want and may get better results you know what your hair likes.

i agree.. wigs are great protective style while you are able to take care of your own hair at the end of the day..

CrownRhoyale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrownRhoyale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2013 at 9:19pm
I agree with mostly everyone here... I was able to go from APL to MBL in 6 months just from wearing wigs. You can pay so much more attention to your hair wearing wigs than you'd be able to accomplish wearing weaves. I think weaves are fine, but, like you, my growth was slow and I'm not sure it was receiving the moisture and care that it needed. 
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>