Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Weaves / Extensions (Newbies)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

I CANT GROW HAIR WITH SEW-IN WEAVES!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
blackarosoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackarosoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2013 at 1:08am
Originally posted by natural essence natural essence wrote:

OP,

All of the information provided to you by the other ladies is fundamental.  I also suggest either taking a longer break between installs or consider trying a wig.  You need to be able to access your hair so that you can apply moisturizing and protein treatments which should be your primary goal at this time to get your hair back on track.

Alos keep in mind that not everyone's hair flourishes in a weave...some may get great growth and others may get set backs...sometimes it takes a little trial and error to see which protective style works for you....I was an avid weave wearer and couldn't see myself ever rocking a wig but I decided to give wigs a try and I am so glad that I did as my hair is really thriving.

This
I used to be a weave wearer but i had setbacks now i wear wigs i am retaining length.
I was scared by the idea of wearing wig but now i love them and make my own.
Thanks to bhm and you tube
Sponsored Links

Cream1970 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cream1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2013 at 1:50am

The washing your hair every week but not conditioning it but every 2 months may be part of the problem. IMO, conditioning is more important than shampooing. You can "wash" your hair w/ conditioner "co-wash", but you can't get but so much moisture and conditioning from a shampoo. And if it's like most shampoo, it's loaded w/ sulfates which are stripping your hair or moisture.

Dry/fragile hair breaks.
Kurls2Kinks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kurls2Kinks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2013 at 9:48am
I had the same issue with not retaining length. I had to make changes and leave time between my installs. Honestly I had to switch to wearing wigs that i made for myself. With combs so I can take them off and treat my hair nightly. I do protein treatments now and moisture treatments.

Just remember everyone hair grows differently, my hair does not do well when i do installs at all. Since switching back to wigs over the last four months my hair has gone from ear length to just below collar bone. I have tracking pictures to prove it.

You have to find out what works for you.
ShadyLady View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShadyLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 5:58am
I pretty much wear sew-ins back to back with no problems. I've had an amazing amount of growth.

Your problem sounds like you're not moisturizing and nourishing your real hair, which is probably leading to damage and breakage.

First, I would suggest you use a more moisturizing and nourishing shampoo and conditioner than Herbal Essences. Look for ones that focus on moisture and strengthening.

Also, you said you don't condition...please do. That's a must. I'd condition before I shampoo any day.

Moisturize your braids under your weave. So you don't have to worry about putting too much product on your weave, get a bottle with a nozzle and fill it with a really great leave-in conditioner. I also put a little oil on my scalp, but be careful not to get it in your weave.

Are your ends healthy? If not, trim off any dead, unhealthy ends to avoid breakage.

Good luck!

Gillygandy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gillygandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 9:15am
Hi I think one of the problems is that you have a weave in.  a weave is a foreign body as far as our hair is concerned and when it is sewn into the hair is puts extra stress on the hair.  Black hair is quite fragile and needs to be cared for to maintain optimum health.  Whe you take out an old weave you shouldn't put a new weave in straight away, your hair has no time to recover and the hair underneath becomes very fragile and prone to become thin and break even when it has length. in my opinon it is best to leave the hair with no weave, braids etc for at least two weeks, during this time maintain the hair as you have been doing.  I drink aloe Vera juice and mix my own moisturiser with glycerine and rosewater and aloe vera juice and this hair improved the health and lenght of my hair, co washing is also a good thing to do when the hair has just come out of a weave, deep conditioning over night if possible and just taking time to take care of your hair will bring results.
IntricateBeauti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote IntricateBeauti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 2:52pm
Hi Op if all else fails maybe you may need to have a test done by your doc for your hormone level and vitamins maybe you could be deficient in one or the other sometimes we lack proper nutrition and diet that is a huge factor in the overall growth of our hair when my hair wasn't growing how it normally did I went to see a trigologist (hair and scalp) doc she told me my eating habits and me lacking the proper vitamin intake was the main reason as to why my hair had thinned out hthSmile
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic