Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Weaves / Extensions (Newbies)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I CAN'T GROW HAIR WITH SEW-IN WEAVES!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
cooljennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cooljennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I CAN'T GROW HAIR WITH SEW-IN WEAVES!
    Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 11:35pm
Hello everyone!

I am VERY new to forums, so my apologies if I'm doing anything wrong!

I have been trying to grow my hair long for FIVE (Yes, I said five) YEARS! I don;t know what I'm doing wrong, so I really would love someone to help me. I must admit that my hair has grown (from shorter than ear length to shoulder length) but it's VERY slow growth. For the past five years I have done protective styles. Now, my current protective style is sew-in weaves.

My current regiment:

- Put in sew-in.
- Leave in for 2-3 months.
- Take out sew-in at night.
- Put new one in next day.

* I wash my hair once a week now (Herbal Essences: Long Term Relationship). I used to wash it only every 2-3 months when I took it down because I washed my hair incorrectly and lost SO MUCH hair due to matting and knotting.

* I take Biotin and Folic Acid daily.

* My edges are DESTROYED so I put Jamaican Black Castor Oil on my edges and through my tracks, massaging for two minutes every night. How else can I grow out my edges faster?

* I want to be relaxed, however, I haven't relaxed my hair in almost a year (a year in April). When I took down my last hair my hair had about 4-5 inches of relaxed hair and the rest was virgin un-relaxed hair. Would it be a good idea to relax now or should I wait for the relaxer to grow out my hair and then relax it??

Anyway, thank you for reading my post, I hope someone can help me! I am currently am shoulder length. My goal is Bra Strap Length right now! Thank you!   
Sponsored Links

tabbikay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabbikay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2013 at 3:27am
Maybe you need more time in between sew-ins to give your hair a rest and proper care. I've seen a lot of people suggest protein treatments to be done before and after sew-ins to strengthen the hair, this is something you might want to incorporate since you say that your edges are destroyed. I'm glad that you say you wash your hair much more often now, since a clean scalp promotes growth. 

Also, I would hold off on relaxing hair that you feel is in bad shape. Adding any chemical process to already fragile strands is a gamble. Have you considered wigs instead of weaves? It would give you daily access to your hair and scalp, and you wouldn't have to worry about leave-out. 
darlinnic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote darlinnic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2013 at 5:07am
1. What is your regimen when your wearing a weave?
Do you shampoo, condition.....?
2. How do you take your sew in out?
3. How do you wash your hair after a sew in?
4. What kind of weave are you using?
5. Does the weave your using match your hair or are you constantly manipulating your hair to match the weave (i.e. flat ironing, relaxing...)
6. DO NOT RELAX YOUR HAIR ... YET please listen to what Tabb said above this post
7. Have you ever thought of a closure or a full sew in? I'm assuming you have leave out.
8. What about moisture? I don't see you adding moisture to your hair.
I know your new to this site but I need you to go to this link
http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/for-the-newbies-othersgeneral-info_topic21821.html

That should be your guide.
It's a lot of info but you won't be able to make heads or tails out of this process unless you read it.
Darlinnic
ms.blue View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ms.blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2013 at 7:56am
Your hair is growing but you are not RETAINING length and I could understand why based on your post.
-Herbal Essence is fine for your weave hair but not for your real hair. Find better quality shampoos and conditioners.
-You have moisturize your real hair every day-you could use braid spray as your leave in conditioner.
-I have done back to back installs which has helped me greatly but I always done a cleansing wash followed by a protein treatment which then is followed by a deep moisture treatment to keep my hair strong before installation and after take down. I do recommend now to give yourself a break between installs to help strengthen your hair.
natural essence View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote natural essence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2013 at 9:22am
OP,

All of the information provided to you by the other ladies is fundamental.  I also suggest either taking a longer break between installs or consider trying a wig.  You need to be able to access your hair so that you can apply moisturizing and protein treatments which should be your primary goal at this time to get your hair back on track.

Alos keep in mind that not everyone's hair flourishes in a weave...some may get great growth and others may get set backs...sometimes it takes a little trial and error to see which protective style works for you....I was an avid weave wearer and couldn't see myself ever rocking a wig but I decided to give wigs a try and I am so glad that I did as my hair is really thriving.
chidiva79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chidiva79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2013 at 10:25am
Hey There! I can see a few problems with your current regimine. Maybe you need to let your natural hair "breath" for a couple of weeks. I have been doing sew in's for the last 2 years as a way to grow out my relaxer. I have had GREAT results. Search by my name and I have a few post with my before and after pics as well as details about my regimine. First thing I would questions is how tight your installs are. Make sure to keep your edges out. Maybe looks at using closures as a ways to prevent damage on your leave out. Make sure to take care of YOUR hair while having a sew in. Trimming your hair is Key. Be gentle on your hair as you have 2 different textures. Make a decision on if you are going to relax or go natural. Personally, I love being natural. My hair is so thick and healthy. I see no reason to relax while having a sew in. I'm not crazy about being the type to have bone straight edges. Get a master plan...and stick with it. Good luck!!! 
I mainly used my sew in's to grow out my relaxer. It will be 2 years in Jan/Fef of 2013.
I swear by sew ins. I usually keep them up 8-12 weeks. I make sure to take care of my leave out and my braids while it's up in a sew in. That's the key.
Products:
1. Aphogee 2 step Intensive protein Deep Conditioner Treatment - The night before I install, I do a treatment
2. Jane Carter Solution Leave In Conditioner OR Infusium 23 Protein leave in conditioner - I alternate each week between the 2 and use a color bottle to make sure I apply it to my braids
On my Leave Out
1. Prior to stlying - I use lotta body, leave in conditioner mentioned above, heat protector is a MUST and roller set my leave out.
2. CHI Iron Guard AND silk elements olive oil heat protector. I also use sebastian humidity blocker occassionally.
3. I don't use a lot of heat on my hair, top heat is 375 or 30 for my babyliss flat irons.
4. I wash once a week because I work out. I ONLY flat iron my hair 1x and that's when it's freshly washed.
My hair genearlly blends fine with any hair I use. however i try to get coarser hair (such as a coarser indian hair, or CLY) so that blending isn't a big issue.
Hope that helps and let me know if you have any questions.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cooljennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2013 at 10:16pm
Since having more time between sew-ins is a common theme, I will do this for my next take down/install! I won't relax my hair, but how will I know when my hair is healthy enough to be relaxed? I haven't considered wigs because it takes me a while to try new things but I will look into them now! Also, I don't have any leave out, it's a full weave.
ms.blue View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ms.blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2013 at 10:27pm
Your hair will have less breakage and will seem thicker/stronger. If you could wear full weave installs then the transition to wigs should be fairly simple.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cooljennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2013 at 10:33pm
1. I wash my hair once a week, I don't condition until I take my weave down (every 2 months).
2. I take my sew-in down with a seam ripper, cutting the thread and gently taking the braids apart.
3. After a sew-in I detangle my hair using a wide toothed comb, separating my hair into four sections. Then I wash my hair, deep condition it, air dry and straighten it.
4. I am using human hair, alternating the brand every time.
5. I do not have any leave out, I straighten my hair every 2 months when I take my weave down. I haven't relaxed my hair in almost a year (April will be a year).
6. Okay, I won't relax it! How will know when the time is right?
7. I have only done a weave with a leave out one time, all the other times I have done a full sew in.
8. I guess I considered Jamaican Black Castor Oil as the moisture - I like Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioner, is that a good moisture product?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cooljennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2013 at 10:46pm
- What kind of shampoos and conditioners would be good for real hair AND weave hair?
- I will incorporate moisture into my regiment!
- I will leave breaks in between installs as well!
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Make Them Stare Hair
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic