BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Hyphenated last names

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 2.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Lady ICE View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady ICE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 4:57am
Originally posted by Harmonii Harmonii wrote:

Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

It ain't that deep.

I didn't think so either.
LOL
Sponsored Links

f8dagrate View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote f8dagrate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 5:04am
Originally posted by Lady ICE Lady ICE wrote:

It ain't that deep.

LOL

I really don't understand why most women who do hyphenate, don't take their husbands name. Unless, they are entertainers or really known through media or something? Help me understand yall is it a pride issue?
ScorpioLuv View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ScorpioLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 5:44am
I'm going to hyphenate my last name when I get married bc my degrees and my job will have my original name, just in case we ever get divorced, I can go back to my original name and nothing else has to change. I remember a poster here talking about their aunt I think and how she got married before she finished college and started her career so everything had her married name on it. Fast forward 20 years her and her husband got divorced, she decided to keep her ex-husband's name bc that's how everyone knew her for her whole career and what her degree said. I don't want those issues one day
beautiful_hair View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote beautiful_hair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 7:57am
When and if the time comes for me to get married, I will be taking my husband's last name.  I feel that we have become one and we need to have the same last name.  If I were to get divorced, I'll change my name back.
Tbaby View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 8:04am
Originally posted by dreamz dreamz wrote:

Originally posted by Tbaby Tbaby wrote:

My for work I use my hyphenated name.  For social occasions and for kids school just my husbands last name.  Life would be easier without the hyphen tbh.  Businesses/work documents get them out of order all the time. Angry

If I had to do it all over again I wouldn't have hyphenated and just dropped my maiden name all together.

after many 17 of hyphenating, i officially changed my name to his last year.  why? my daughter asked me to, she said it was embarassing because i was the only one in the house without the exact same last name - i don't know why i paid attention to her, she was 16 lol.  i just didn't have the same 'imma be independent' mindset that i had all those years ago, i don't really work anymore, so the professional license excuse was null and void'.  i was tired of explaining to folks that yes, i'm their mother lol.

i don't know, i can't verbalize it - i just all of a sudden wanted us to be the same.

you got me thinking--maybe I'll drop the hyphen, too...
freedom76 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote freedom76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 9:23am
Originally posted by f8dagrate f8dagrate wrote:

It ain't that deep.

LOL

I really don't understand why most women who do hyphenate, don't take their husbands name. Unless, they are entertainers or really known through media or something? Help me understand yall is it a pride issue?

Pride? Yes to a degree. I have an extreme bond with my family. All my life I was Freedom X. I see no reason to become another name. I see no reason to change documents. I have found there aren't any real repercussions to not changing your name or to hyphenate your name. With the way things are now, I can also prove I am the wife and/or the mother in my family. Too easy. It doesn't prevent any issues other than the perception of outsiders. 
f8dagrate View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote f8dagrate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 9:26am
Originally posted by freedom76 freedom76 wrote:

Originally posted by f8dagrate f8dagrate wrote:

It ain't that deep.

LOL

Pride? Yes to a degree. I have an extreme bond with my family. All my life I was Freedom X. I see no reason to become another name. I see no reason to change documents. I have found there aren't any real repercussions to not changing your name or to hyphenate your name. With the way things are now, I can also prove I am the wife and/or the mother in my family. Too easy. It doesn't prevent any issues other than the perception of outsiders. 

thank you for that perspective.
goodm3 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goodm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 9:31am
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

my friend has a hyphenated haitian last name [i.e. Jean-Jacque]
her current boyfriend who is haitian also has a hyphenated last name

i feel bad for their potential kids if they decide to keep all 4 names

how will the kids fill out those standardize test forms. there's only like 16 spaces on those things. lol..LOL
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123