Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Humans of New York: I used to be a princess

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Diane (35) View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2014 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by Brjasuga51 Brjasuga51 wrote:

Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

being american born does not automatically equal wealth and being well educated

I know this...but many come with the idea that Americans have it easier than people in their homeland.

They do, at least (have it better than) the Jamaicans. Yardies leave for the "opportunities" the "pay raise" among other things. If i told you what doctors and teachers earn you'd say I'm lying.

______ said America's biggest export was the American Dream. mhmmmm

Edited by Diane (35) - Jul 08 2014 at 9:05pm
Sponsored Links

rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2014 at 9:08pm
my parents expected 100% on every test

Wanted an explanation for the three wrong answers (97/100)

Like JamCay said school/life seemed a cakewalk for children here 

We had nothing better to do than be first (in their mind)

Edited by rickysrose - Jul 08 2014 at 9:16pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2014 at 9:15pm
i have an aunt that came to Canada and worked in corp

Another Aunt that stayed in Jamaica and worked in corp

Both ended up in the same place, lovely home, savings, pension, retirement, travel

My aunt in Canada wonders if it was worth it to end up pretty much in the same place
eanaj5 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eanaj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2014 at 9:17pm
well, whenever she comes of age she can go back and live like royalty again...
#notearsforyouboo
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2014 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by Brjasuga51 Brjasuga51 wrote:

Can't even blame them ^^^^
As for your cousins...smh. I beg for stuff all, the time from Jamaica from my siblings.I want castor oil... banana chips etc .

MOMMY Diane and my aunt and cousin brought 1. Castor oil 2. jerk seasoning 3. this spicy mango sauce (cause a BHM member told me she lved it and now all the family needs it, it was sitting in the stores for years)LOLLOLLOL 4 . bullas 5 buns 6 fried fish 7. salt fish- apparently farin salt fish isnt the same wtf 8) tins of cheese 4 dozen beef patties 8) chocolate balls 9) 12 tins of small grace corned beef (my BIL is obsessed ever since my sis returned home the other day) 10) frozen ackee 12) frozen breadfruits 13) white cake soap again 14) coconut milk powder 15) maggie cock sup 16) about 8 tins of big Grace corned beef 17) lasco readi milk about 15 packets 18) Oxtail seasoning 3 bottles (liquid)
Here me and my badmind self: "dem supm yah nuh sell a farin?, dem even online at sams caribbean store?" 

My sister brought up nuff excelsior water crackers and banana chips.

Those complaining need to start an exchange program, the farin stuff for the home stuff.
Brjasuga51 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brjasuga51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2014 at 9:23pm
My mum is a teacher for 38 years now in Jamaica so I know how much they make. Same slackness they go through in Jamaica as government employees for a pay raise government workers face here in the US . We have been waiting 5 years for a pay increase.... and cost of living goes up every month.
But as to my response to being American doesn't automatically equate to having wealth or education..... its CHUeeee.This is because some don't recognize an opportunity and some don't embrace the opportunity presented. That's y I agree its not automatic.

Edited by Brjasuga51 - Jul 08 2014 at 9:27pm
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2014 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by rickysrose rickysrose wrote:

Both ended up in the same place, lovely home, savings, pension, retirement, travel

My aunt in Canada wonders if it was worth it to end up pretty much in the same place

interesting. Plus she in the coldDeadDead

But we cant use that for the avg yardie my coworker makes $100 USD more a week than her monthly paycheck here.Shocked
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brjasuga51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2014 at 9:25pm
Diane K...almost everything on that list.its true the selfish don't taste the same. Bull beef is $7 a tin. I even buy the run down mackerel. I bring back coconut water as well.
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brjasuga51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2014 at 9:29pm

my parents expected 100% on every test

Wanted an explanation for the three wrong answers (97/100)

Like JamCay said school/life seemed a cakewalk for children here 

We had nothing better to do than be first (in their mind)

It is easier... especially college. I struggled at UTECH. But it was a walk in the park here... except for the American spelling and foreign languages
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2014 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by Diane (35) Diane (35) wrote:

interesting. Plus she in the coldDeadDead

But we cant use that for the avg yardie my coworker makes $100 USD more a week than her monthly paycheck here.Shocked

Great point. Millions have left. There aren't millions of corp jobs in Jamaica.

The pay isn't the same not even close but my auntie in Canada would give her eye teeth for live in help and my auntie in Jamaica has never been without a helper 

Like anything there's trade offs

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair