Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Humans of New York: I used to be a princess

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Brjasuga51 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brjasuga51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2014 at 8:36pm
SL...i didn't struggle
For many reasons.
But first off some come here illegal and that is their biggest problem. Talking about Jamaicans. So being illegal prohibits them acquiring good jobs... good insurance K...Medicaid(if u have a child in the us ...u will get wic.ebt...housing from the government). But the people I know come here for school(student visas)...(can't apply financial help because of their status). They are given limited grants and very few qualify for scholarships
they can get student loans but have to have someone to sign for them.
U have others who come and just interested in material things...so do whatever they must to acquire these things( use u all imagination). So yes some immigrants do compare especially if they can't get certain amenities from the state.
Sponsored Links

SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2014 at 8:36pm

being american born does not automatically equal wealth and being well educated
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2014 at 8:39pm

thanks for the replies ladies
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brjasuga51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2014 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

I know this...but many come with the idea that Americans have it easier than people in their homeland.
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brjasuga51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2014 at 8:42pm
No problem SL
JamCaygirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote JamCaygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2014 at 8:46pm

true, but I guess its part of the American dream mindset... some foreigners will believe that Americans have better access to education and therefore eventually wealth...

My relatives, from the countryside in Jamaica would have to walk upwards of 6 miles back and forth to school daily... when taxis first started running, no lie you would have in excess of 10 people in a regular 5 seater car...

when they compare the conditions they went through, just to GET to school, and then see how easy it is for kids in the US to GET to school... their next comment is they can't understand why these kids would act up in school not taking advantage of the easy access to education etc...

I guess the short answer is, they don't understand the struggles of african americans to an extent, due in part to the lack of common experience...

I only speak for my family, i appreciate other peoples experiences are likely different...

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2014 at 8:49pm

great insight

I wish we would all take time to learn more about each others' history and expectations

it could bridge the gap
Diane (35) View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2014 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by JamCaygirl JamCaygirl wrote:

do the ones that come over and struggle see any parallels between their struggle and the struggle of american blacks?

yes the history is different and obviously coming here was a choice american blacks did not have, but do they take any of what they are going through into consideration when they make comparisons

can't speak for all, but I know some of my relatives just expect the struggle as part and parcel of being a first generation immigrant...

They don't understand why american blacks who have had the "benefit" of being born and raised in the US and are documented citizens don't do better for themselves...

They certainly do not expect their American born children to struggle the way they did...

I can't answer SL, i dont ask them abut that. But i don't know any one who is really struggling. My coworker just land, my aunt who migrated this January is earning a decent salary.

Look oonu (y'all) send the people them the "farin things" and money and stop gwaan (acting) mean!!LOLLOL Y'all earning in USD!
Diane (35) View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2014 at 8:53pm

great insight

I wish we would all take time to learn more about each others' history and expectations

it could bridge the gap

That's what BHM is forBig smile

IA with Jamcay. 
rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2014 at 8:58pm
I do SL, very much so

Immigrants understand the struggle even if they don't fully acknowledge it

Many are fleeing similar obstacles like nepotism, corruption (same effects as racism), lack of opportunity, high unemployment, stereotypes ... 

Brja is right about the helping hand not being there and that makes it harder on immigrants to get that start if needed

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
  Share Topic