Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Humans of New York: I used to be a princess

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
purple.chuckz View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple.chuckz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2014 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by nala52808 nala52808 wrote:

Originally posted by Brjasuga51 Brjasuga51 wrote:

Originally posted by JamCaygirl JamCaygirl wrote:

Why'd she come here

probably sold the Dream.... everything better abroad...

people still think there's a dream here? lol. 

Nala...best believe ppl still think America is a bed of roses. I have heard ppl complain that relatives are demanding things because they live in America and it is much easier here.

I feel really sorry for those people. Alot of my family members came to the US back in the 80's and 90's, but when things started getting rough, alot of them LEFT and went back to Nigeria making more money than they ever have over here. I really feel like there are so many  options of places to move to in this world but for some reason the US becomes the default golden gate of opurtunity. People really need to do more research and speak with family members and friends who actually live here, who can kind of tell them what kind of life they'll live if they cant speak english and have no college degree.

They will think that you're sampling hating or don't want other people to be doing as well as you. We had some family members who won the lottery and moved here 2 years ago. My father told them to save and bring money because life in America is hard. They wouldn't have access to social services like immigrants receive in Europe.  They thought that he was hating and called last year to apologize and thank him. My old aunt is working 2 minimum paying jobs to make rent.
Sponsored Links

SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2014 at 7:59pm

I have a question but I don't want to sully the thread
SoutherNtellect View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote SoutherNtellect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2014 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

I have a question but I don't want to sully the thread

this is bhm
we live for sully 
purple.chuckz View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple.chuckz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2014 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by Brjasuga51 Brjasuga51 wrote:

Originally posted by JamCaygirl JamCaygirl wrote:

Why'd she come here

probably sold the Dream.... everything better abroad...

people still think there's a dream here? lol. 

Nala...best believe ppl still think America is a bed of roses. I have heard ppl complain that relatives are demanding things because they live in America and it is much easier here.

Girl, my parents no longer answer late calls on the phone because they know that it is an African asking for money. My cousins would hit me up on Facebook all the time asking for stuff. I told them that I liked receiving gifts too and asked them why they never sent me anything, their response ,"You're in America."
Brjasuga51 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brjasuga51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2014 at 8:04pm
Can't even blame them ^^^^
As for your cousins...smh. I beg for stuff all, the time from Jamaica from my siblings.I want castor oil... banana chips etc .

Edited by Brjasuga51 - Jul 08 2014 at 8:06pm
rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2014 at 8:18pm
I have a family member who lives in the tri-state

She's worked three shifts as a nurse for over 30 years, takes one shift off a week. 

Don't know how she does it.   

SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2014 at 8:19pm

do the ones that come over and struggle see any parallels between their struggle and the struggle of american blacks?

yes the history is different and obviously coming here was a choice american blacks did not have, but do they take any of what they are going through into consideration when they make comparisons

Edited by SamoneLenior - Jul 08 2014 at 8:20pm
Diane (35) View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2014 at 8:25pm
Ask away SL

who wants to hear what mommy diane brought to the states yesterday morning?

BWOM what? LOL I can sympathsize with exoticals even coons.
india100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote india100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2014 at 8:26pm
We continue to struggle as a people . Water shut off and we are Queens . The girl needs Jesus . Disapprove
JamCaygirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamCaygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2014 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

do the ones that come over and struggle see any parallels between their struggle and the struggle of american blacks?

yes the history is different and obviously coming here was a choice american blacks did not have, but do they take any of what they are going through into consideration when they make comparisons

can't speak for all, but I know some of my relatives just expect the struggle as part and parcel of being a first generation immigrant...

They don't understand why american blacks who have had the "benefit" of being born and raised in the US and are documented citizens don't do better for themselves...

They certainly do not expect their American born children to struggle the way they did...
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
  Share Topic