BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

How would our ancestors feel?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 3.40  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 11:16pm
they were much closer to the actual tactics used by slave owners/overseers, government, institutions, Jim Crow etc ... we could learn a lot about how racism tried to systematically decimate black cultural pride 

from where we stand we can be glib and call it whitewashing but it was a matter of survival ... it's glaringly obvious 

many died fighting and others survived so that we could be

Sponsored Links

sexyandfamous View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

the fact that ppl don't care is a microcosm of the problems in the black community

I can actually give a real life example of that: this is Black History Month. I am enrolled in a college where 40% of students happen to be AA. Some people got together and created this African American group and have 2 movies going on this month for black history ("Red Tails" and "Tales from the Hood").
The only people who went to watch those videos were the ones in the African American Studies class because the teacher, who is black and involved with the AA group, told everyone that they would get extra credit for it.

Lite Brite View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lite Brite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

I forgive them for that though,
I cannot imagine living through those times.
You're bound to be traumatized from it and they were just trying to survive .

That's why I had to temper my criticisms of Booker T Washington.

Thumbs Up
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 11:21pm
I'm not talking about just you Alias_Avi ... millions feel the same way

I keep saying it because I believe it ... as a people, we need to know ALL of the tactics that were used against us

so we can untangle the web and understand where these preconceived notions and stereotypes and attitudes actually come from and their original intention

"moving on" without it ... is piecemeal at best and we get into a blame game usually pointing at the victims instead of the perpetrators

Lite Brite View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lite Brite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by sexyandfamous sexyandfamous wrote:

2 movies going on this month for black history ("Red Tails" and "Tales from the Hood").

Ouch
Gkisses View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gkisses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 11:23pm

Im more turned off by their movie choices vs ppl not turning out for those movies.... tbh
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by Lite Brite Lite Brite wrote:

I forgive them for that though,
I cannot imagine living through those times.
You're bound to be traumatized from it and they were just trying to survive .

That's why I had to temper my criticisms of Booker T Washington.

Thumbs Up

this is why I should actually read threads and refresh before posting LOL
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 11:24pm
LOL

Originally posted by Lite Brite Lite Brite wrote:

Originally posted by sexyandfamous sexyandfamous wrote:

2 movies going on this month for black history ("Red Tails" and "Tales from the Hood").

Ouch
Bunnyahh View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunnyahh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 11:28pm
TALES FROM THE HOOD HAD A GOOD MESSAGE!!!!!
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 11:35pm
Integration had to happen to get to where we are now, let's keep it real

Now, White people can not deny the injustices of segregation "separate but (un)equal" because we forced them to see it through the integration process

There was no way anyone could foresee all of the negative effects of integration, nor could they predict the cultures, legislation and habits that keep Black people in a perpetual state of victimhood

We can look back and pick out the cons of integration but c'mon living in those times it completely reasonable why they wanted to feel like they belonged.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarg
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic