BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

How White People Got So Rich

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 7 Votes, Average 4.29  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2014 at 1:15pm

I posted a thread about the lack of generational wealth in the black community and folks were offended, like it was just one more negative thing to report

no real discussion
Sponsored Links

iliveforbhm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iliveforbhm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2014 at 1:25pm
A lack of generational wealth is easily seen without the numbers, the numbers speak for themselves. Name a few businesses that are black own that have precious resources outside of Africa?
ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2014 at 1:28pm
not sure how that discussion was presented but context may have been a reason some were offended...

Edited by ThoughtCouture - Mar 12 2014 at 5:11pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2014 at 1:29pm

I found the thread

I didn't reread the article but I did read the comments

search generational wealth gap

but now I think I may have posted another thread on it because a few comments that I remembered weren't there so maybe it was another thread I made on the same subject

and maybe offended did not apply to the thread I found.....more like dismissive

Edited by SamoneLenior - Mar 12 2014 at 1:30pm
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2014 at 1:37pm
Well, below are a few sections that stood out to me... didn't get a chance to delve deeply into his solutions yet but I'm going to buy his book today. I'll post more when I get a chance

Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

i don't feel like googling.  can you touch briefly on a few of the solutions he offers?

"Until black America collectively aspires to acquire its own power to alter its marginal conditions, it is highly unlikely that they will ever obtain power. A plan for self-empowerment must begin with realistic analysis of blacks' assets and lead to the development of strategies to maximize their fullest potential.

True empowerment would give blacks new tools and strengths to deal with the power imbalances that today promote racism in the court system, educational institutions as well as government and private corporate sectors. These entities have no accountability to blacks, even though they exert tremendous power over blacks. They are repositories of the cultural power to whites. They have not changed through the centuries, thus, they still safe-guard the culture, heritage and social values of the original European settlers."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Blacks have made little relative progress from slavery to today because we still have not acquired the necessary sources of power to create positive change in our marginal conditions. People who use their individual means to build collective wealth and power understand that there is strength in numbers. Blacks have yet to recognize or act upon this truth. The black vote alone will not ensure blacks a respectable status or new role in America. The vote must be backed by a national plan of public policies specifically designed to help blacks achieve economic self-sufficiency and self-empowerment."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dr. Claud on the "dead letter" of Civil Rights legislation

"The equal protection clause was written into the Constitution as part of the 14th Amendment in 1868. But it wasn't until 1954 that this language was interpreted to make it unconstitutional to overtly and explicitly discriminate against blacks.

The court interpreted the 13th, 14th and 15th Amendments broadly and applied them to many situations unrelated to blacks. By the turn of the century, the court used the new Constitutional amendments primarily to protect the wealth of major corporations. In 1886, the Supreme Court used the 14th Amendment on equal protection and due process to abolish 230 state laws that regulated corporations. Corporate legal counselors argued that corporations were "persons" and their money was property protected by the due process clause of the 14th Amendment.

Of the 14th Amendment cases brought before the Supreme Court between 1890 and 1901, only 19 dealt with blacks, versus 288 with corporations. The court showed favor to the corporations, but it ruled against blacks in all 19 cases. The court refused to hear the majority of cases involving blacks who were openly disenfranchised, exploited, terrorized and lynched by the powerful and the wealthy. Between 1882 and 1892, approximately 2,600 blacks were lynched."

Edited by Alias_Avi - Mar 12 2014 at 1:41pm
Over_all View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Over_all Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2014 at 1:39pm
I read a letter I can't remember what it's called where the gov "acknowledged" it but didn't say what they were going to do to fix it.. It included alot of things slavery racism etc it makes you mad if you read it through to find out nothing fixes this from their side 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2014 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

Well, below are a few sections that stood out to me... didn't get a chance to delve deeply into his solutions yet but I'm going to buy his book today. I'll post more when I get a chance

Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

i don't feel like googling.  can you touch briefly on a few of the solutions he offers?

"Until black America collectively aspires to acquire its own power to alter its marginal conditions, it is highly unlikely that they will ever obtain power. A plan for self-empowerment must begin with realistic analysis of blacks' assets and lead to the development of strategies to maximize their fullest potential.

True empowerment would give blacks new tools and strengths to deal with the power imbalances that today promote racism in the court system, educational institutions as well as government and private corporate sectors. These entities have no accountability to blacks, even though they exert tremendous power over blacks. They are repositories of the cultural power to whites. They have not changed through the centuries, thus, they still safe-guard the culture, heritage and social values of the original European settlers."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Blacks have made little relative progress from slavery to today because we still have not acquired the necessary sources of power to create positive change in our marginal conditions. People who use their individual means to build collective wealth and power understand that there is strength in numbers. Blacks have yet to recognize or act upon this truth. The black vote alone will not ensure blacks a respectable status or new role in America. The vote must be backed by a national plan of public policies specifically designed to help blacks achieve economic self-sufficiency and self-empowerment."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dr. Claud on the "dead letter" of Civil Rights legislation

"The equal protection clause was written into the Constitution as part of the 14th Amendment in 1868. But it wasn't until 1954 that this language was interpreted to make it unconstitutional to overtly and explicitly discriminate against blacks.

The court interpreted the 13th, 14th and 15th Amendments broadly and applied them to many situations unrelated to blacks. By the turn of the century, the court used the new Constitutional amendments primarily to protect the wealth of major corporations. In 1886, the Supreme Court used the 14th Amendment on equal protection and due process to abolish 230 state laws that regulated corporations. Corporate legal counselors argued that corporations were "persons" and their money was property protected by the due process clause of the 14th Amendment.

Of the 14th Amendment cases brought before the Supreme Court between 1890 and 1901, only 19 dealt with blacks, versus 288 with corporations. The court showed favor to the corporations, but it ruled against blacks in all 19 cases. The court refused to hear the majority of cases involving blacks who were openly disenfranchised, exploited, terrorized and lynched by the powerful and the wealthy. Between 1882 and 1892, approximately 2,600 blacks were lynched."

this turns my stomach
trudawg View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote trudawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2014 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

I found the thread

I didn't reread the article but I did read the comments

search generational wealth gap

but now I think I may have posted another thread on it because a few comments that I remembered weren't there so maybe it was another thread I made on the same subject

and maybe offended did not apply to the thread I found.....more like dismissive

I've discovered threads that spark intellectual discussion rarely get traction on BHM unless they involve Bhey/Rey/Jay/ or some other type of Cray-cray. Just depends on who's logged on at the time.

That's why I wanted to take the time to express my appreciation for the select brand of BHM members who embrace intellectual curiosity on higher levels such as yourself.  Wink
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2014 at 2:42pm

aww thanks tru!

PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2014 at 2:48pm
well hmmm

Edited by PurplePhase - Mar 12 2014 at 2:49pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair