Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Weaves / Extensions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

How to Ween Myself From Weaves This Year...

Post Reply Post Reply
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
shalafbabii View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shalafbabii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to Ween Myself From Weaves This Year...
    Posted: Dec 25 2012 at 9:47am
Can somebody help a sister out? I'm a 4b natural and I'm slowly but surely becoming dependent upon weaves. I want to wear my hair out more and get comfortable with it since I am going on my second year natural. I want to perfect my twistouts and braidouts, do a decent bantu knot out, and try curlformers for once.... but I don't get that chance because I have weave addictions! Every time I want to feel "sexy" I wear a weave and my whole life changes it seems like. LOL I can whip my hair and spruce up any outfit with my weave.

I need to let them go at least for 6 months due to a few things.
1. Finances: I've realized since the hair market is going down, I'm going to have to pay quality prices for quality products...and I just don't have it. 
2. Heat Damage: My curl pattern is 3c on my leaveout (the rest of my head is 4b/c) and LUCKILY I still have a curl at the ends. If I keep wearing weave I know it will suffer and break off. Plus the front of my head is looking CRAZY, it's like blending all over again. I've even tried closures but they never come out how I want. My next weave (summer school) will be AAMH or ONYC Kinky Curly so I have to save for these next couple of months anyway.
3. The Hype: Everyone in college has a weave and I want to be different. I want to be care-free. Natural hair is one of a kind because it is MINE and I can wear it how I want. Weaves are just as high-maintenance as my natural hair if not more. I still have to co-wash, curl, wrap, and fix it to my liking so why not wear my natural hair?

Yea it seems easy to just let weaves go, but when you have a soft spot in your heart for it... it's hard to let go. Cry Can someone PLEASE give me some tips on how to break free from weaves? They are causing me more harm than good. 
Sponsored Links

sugabanana View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 25 2012 at 10:21am

Babes its easy. Just do clip ins until you get your hair together.

ms.blue View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ms.blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 25 2012 at 10:22am
When I stopped wearing weaves, I just stopped. I just got sick of it and decided I was going to learn how to take care of my hair...it became a personal challenge.   I started reading everthing I could about natural hair , watched yt and joined a forum. First thing I learned was how to perfect my flatironing. I wore my hair flatironed for two weeks just for me to gauge how I like my hair flatironed....which I found out, I liked it a little too much so I wore a half-wig with my hair braided up then by the week I would take the braids out and wore a braid out for awhile. I done that for about a year. One thing that would get me was I was always nervous about my hair being caught into things (clothing especially) and any snap would drive me crazy . I remember trying to perfect my twist outs and everyday I would look like crazed lion because my twist outs were look horrible.   I got sick of dealing with my natural hair and ran back to weaves then lacewigs until I stumbled across Naptural85 on yt and she did a twist out video that was so awesome that I took out my horrible bantu knots and twisted my hair using her method...it came out beautifully.   I wore my hair in a twist out for 3 weeks straight....I loved it. The whole gist that I'm trying to say, is that 1. Have a goal on what you want to do with your hair. 2. Get some inspiration 3. Don't be afraid to go back to weaves or wigs but realize you are not using it as crutch but as a way to temporarily style your hair. Once you feel it has become a crutch, remove immediately and work with your hair.

I really hth
shalafbabii View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote shalafbabii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 25 2012 at 10:46am
@sugabanana I will definitely try that... fingercomber.com has some clip ins that I want to try for $36!
@ms.blue great advice!!! I think I will do that because I do have one half-wig that I truly love that fits my natural texture but it started to stink so I had to throw it out. Developing a regimen sounds great.... I think I will do a bun for a week straight then on wash day do cornrows for two weeks with the half wig... wear my hair out for that weekend then wash for a bun. Repeat. This will allow me to get through these next 6 months quickly!! 

Thanks so much ladies... I am still taking tips from others tho!
fredricafekkai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredricafekkai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 25 2012 at 1:00pm
Good luck! I'm also natural, but only for about 5 months or so and I've been wearing braids/weave during that time.
My tip is to know that you are BEAUTIFUL. A lot of people deter from being natural because of criticism. But YOU are beautiful and so is YOUR hair! So be proud and flaunt it!
Abbyliciouz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbyliciouz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2012 at 2:29pm
ohhh ok
darlinnic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darlinnic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2012 at 12:27am
Come on over to the natural and hair growth section. The ladies in these two sections will have your natural hair flowing an growing. Go head and just leave this section all together.. Lol
naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2012 at 12:50am
Id say get a Hair cut even if you dont BC again just cut off the damage and get someone who knows what they are doing so you can have a FLY fRESH START
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic