Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Weaves / Extensions (Newbies)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

How to take care of sew-ins

Post Reply Post Reply

Author
shaylanay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaylanay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to take care of sew-ins
    Posted: Mar 13 2014 at 6:05pm
This is my first sew in and I want to know how to protect my real hair. I don't want to have any missing hair or anything. So what do I do?
Sponsored Links

Kocoa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Kocoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2014 at 8:53pm
Here's a few basic tips for getting a sew-in:

- If you are freshly relaxed (and especially if you have fine hair), wait at least 1 wk before getting an install. If you braid it up too soon, it may cause breakage.
- Protein treatments before and after install. I cannot stress this enough. Protein is good for both moisture and strengthening your hair and it also helps to prevent thinning.
- When getting your hair braided, make sure that your base is firm and not tight. If you feel like you're gonna need an advil right after the braiding is done - that's too tight. If you feel like you've just gotten cosmetic surgery and can't at least wiggle your eyebrows and ears - too tight. This is really important to pay attn to because prolonged tension at the roots and especially at the edges can cause bald spots or lead to tension alopecia.
- Opt for a net weave - it puts less tension on your hair.
- Remember to take care of your actual hair while in the sew in. When I have my hair in a sew in, I usually would dilute my leave in to the point of it being mostly water and add in a few drops of tea tree essential oil  to keep my scalp from getting dry and itchy. I try to avoid having a creamy leave in at this stage because the build up can be a monster when it comes time to do the take down.
- Don't skip washing your hair, just dilute the shampoo and let it flow to your scalp and rinse.
- When the time comes for the take down, be patient with your hair and keep a bottle of conditioner at hand in case you get into some tangles.
- As you are unbraiding your hair, make sure to section your hair, detangle it thoroughly and then braid it up in a larger braid. Never ever just go into the shower with loose hair right after taking down a sew in. Doing that can cause some serious tangling and matting - no one wants that.
- Since this is your first sew in, I would suggest that you don't keep it in for longer than 6-8 wks.

HTHs
shaylanay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaylanay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2014 at 9:14pm
Ok thanks so much. I'm going on a hhh and id be devastated if I had bald spots. Again thanks so much for the advice.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic