Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Wigs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

How to make Your Wig Look its BEST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 29303132>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
sunshine321511 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunshine321511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2014 at 4:12pm
Just as an update, if anyone has not make a syn. hair ponytail bun, please take a minute to make one, it is a true lifesaver.  I am still wearing mine that I made months ago, I wear it say once every two weeks for a few days or even just on the weekend.

I also discovered that for people with short hair like me, and people who don't have perms I found a brush to use that works best.  Here are my tips.

Okay I wash my hair
Then I towel dry the hair slightly.
Then I use the paddle brush and brush my hair back
The same paddle brush that you might use on a wig, I have a separate one for my natural hair.

SO the paddle brush seemed to straighten my natural hair pretty well, no let me clarity. It did not straighten my hair, it just allowed me to brush it straight.

Then I used my gel and put it on my hair, brushed it on and put in a ponytail, then I sat under my hard hat dryer.  Then of course at night, I tie my hair up. It works out so well.

I thank GOD for learning all these tips from you tube, the internet is a blessing.
Sponsored Links

gabi03 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gabi03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2014 at 6:29pm
Thank you thank you for this thread sunshine. I cut all my hair off into a pixie a few months ago and now i'm bored so I wanted to venture into wigs. This thread gave me some great tips and tricks!
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunshine321511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2014 at 5:27pm
Hey Gabi - I'm just seeing your message and I'm glad all the tips was helpful to you.  You Tube is a blessing and has helped me greatly.  YOU will learn to LOVE wigs. 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunshine321511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2014 at 4:38pm
Hey Ladies - I'm going on a cruise in 3 weeks and I just wanted to encourage and remind everyone, please please please do not wait until the night before your trip to decide
1) What wig you are wearing 2)how you are wearing the wig

Remember, if you are going to the airport -- your hair pins will set of the security sensors and the lady security guards will have to pat your hair down.  Which can be embarrassing.

SO plan to sew down your wig.  SO what did I do...

1) Ordered the wig I wanted to wear from an online source to ENSURE that I go the exact color and style that I wanted

This is why it is important to know the vendor name and name of the wig so you can order it online if needed. 

2) Today I tried on the wig, cut and trimmed to my likening and GUESS WHAT...I'm going to wear the wig this weekend to see how it falls, do I need to modify, etc.

This will ensure that I'm not surprised while on travel.

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunshine321511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2014 at 5:42pm
I was just on you tube searching how to sew my wig down.  I know I had my own steps but I wanted to see if any better tips or videos were available.  I found this SISTER HERE....what....she is wonderful and I learned so much.

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunshine321511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2014 at 5:54pm
Now in this video she is showing us how she sews down a straight wig WHAT....she ain't nothing but the TRUTH.

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunshine321511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2014 at 8:41am
Well I permed my edges today, I just permed about one inch in the front so the wig would blend better. I did not perm the back or sides.  The sole purpose was for my wig to blend better. 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunshine321511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2014 at 2:55pm
Okay Ladies....I'm back from my latest cruise and I must say this wig was the BEST of all the sewn in wigs. 
First off, if you plan to do this, you need to plan for this event and take your time.  Please do not start this project at midnight when you have a early flight in the morning.  PREPARE, have all your supplies, come home relax and then start your hair project.

My cruise left Saturday morning so I did this on Friday afternoon, mind you I had already packed, had dinner, was relaxed and then started so I would not be RUSHED.

Let me give you all the details:

Which wig did I use - Friday Night Hair GLS 59

Why this wig, the FNH wigs lace blends the BEST To me...expect for like an RPG Show wig.  They are the best syn. lace wig where the lace just melts into your scalp.

How I sewed it in -
Items used:
net weave cap
black dome cap (only for people with a lot of gray hair)
curved weave needle
weave thread
two hair clips
hair scruchie

How to sew in -
- First off, you need to have your natural hair as FLAT as possible.  Whether you wrap it, or if it is short enough just brush it back with a paddle brush.

- Second - I washed my hair and made sure it was fully dry before I started this process.

Steps to continue below and pictures to follow.

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunshine321511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2014 at 3:07pm
I kept in in for almost 2 weeks...back to tips...

Next Step -
Determine how much of YOUR EDGES you are going to leave out.  I left out like 1/2 an inch on the straight across.  Don't leave out too much.
- Use hair pins or silver clips to section hair off that will NOT BE SEWED down...this is your hair edges in the FRONT ONLY.

-Attach black dome cap first (ONLY IF YOU HAVE A LOT OF GRAY HAIR - You don't want if a wig weft moves people see all these gray root).
-Then attach net weave cap

At this point, don't worry you do not need to sew down anything at this point.

Next step -
- Attach wig and pin it down as if you are going to wear it.
---- I used three pins across the front and three pins around the back
----This is just to help in the sewing process, so the wig wont move, they will be removed as you sew in the wig.

---Slowly gather the wig in the front and back with your hands and put in a ponytail.

MAIN TIP -
When sewing in the wig, I left a little string at the end of each area so when it was time to cut it out, I had a guide, remember the wig will cover any 1  inch weave thread.  It helped me when it was time to take the wig out.

DON'T WORRY, WHEN YOU start sewing down the wig, it will stay on your head, take your time and sew it close.  If you want to be even more secure, after all the edges are done, front and back....
Then lift up a weft in the middle and sew the wig track to your net wig cap.

I did not do that step....but say you plan to keep this in for say 2-4 weeks then you SHOULD be all means sew down more of the wig to the net cap.

Edited by sunshine321511 - Oct 08 2014 at 3:48pm
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunshine321511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2014 at 3:19pm
Next step ---
Start to sew in the wig, I started on the side and sew it as closely together as possible, also watch the video above on September 3rd.

--- So I sewed in the wig, I started by the left ear, and moved slowly around the front.
---I did not use long pieces of thread cause I didn't want anything to get tangled.
---Then I continued to sew and when I got around I continue to make sure the wig is pulled firm.

next step
----Then I continued in and when I got to the back I did the same thing, SLOWLY SEWING CLOSE TOGHTHER AND slow.

TIPS -
In the front I did not sew it RIGHT on the edges where your baby hair is, I did not want to LOSE any of my edges.

Sleeping-
On the cruise, I put my hair in two pineapple like ponytails, front and back.
Also put on my satin cap.
But here is the NEW PRODUCT that I found....Turbie Twist
--- I purchased it at bed bath and beyond at the gallery place location in DC

----So after I put on my normal satin cap, I put this on and it lays flat on your hair and keeps the satin cap from MOVING at all and flattens your edges.

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 29303132>
  Share Topic