Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Wigs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

How to make Your Wig Look its BEST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 32>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
femmemuscleisback View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemuscleisback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2014 at 5:12pm
i ordered the Amber wig, and was nervous about cutting the lace.

I went back over Miss Sunshine's posts, plus went on Youtube that were recommended in this thread, and a few others, and took the plunge.

I like the fact that you can wear your lacefront without glue or makeup or adhesive.

I have a problem with the combs and straps, and usually cut those out the moment i receive my wigs. 

I cut the lace extremely close to the knots, placed the wig right on the hairline.  I like side parts, thus this wig did it perfectly.

I used bobby pins to hold it in place, though the wig is snug.

This will be my go-to summer wig, or if i decide i want to wear a straight look, occasionally.

I really like the way the hair is very light around the edges.  I threw out my Vivica Fox wig.. It doesn't even compare to this one.  and what's worse? the Vivica Fox "Rumer" wig was almost 2x as much, and still looked wiggy... (and the hair made me itch)..

This FreeTress will be one of my stock wigs.. Thanks Miss Sunshine!!
Sponsored Links

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemuscleisback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2014 at 5:16pm
and...

i did the concealer trick.. the one from Samsbeauty,  "Kiss Cover and Care"  ACF02 ($7.99), works perfectly for my complexion.

i did exactly as the tutorials here in this thread stated, and use it on my curly wigs, plus the new lacefront.  My SO inspected the wigs, and said "Yep, they're perfect"..

thus, i get the "man pass".. which means, the scalp looks realistic.Smile
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemuscleisback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2014 at 8:07pm
also,

i'm not here to hurt anyone's feelings, but why is it so important to use glue/adhesive on a lace front anyway.

I'm hoping that i'm not walking around looking weird because i don't wear glue, concealer and foundation around the hairline.

I only wear the concealer to darken the "scalp" of my wigs.

sunshine321511 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunshine321511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2014 at 8:13pm
Well Ms. FEMME...

Go ahead with you bad self!!!  I am quite pleased to hear that you have ventured into the world of lace wigs.  Make sure you put it on a wig head at night, nothing expensive just a foam head.  I find it keeps my wig better.

Good luck, I love my wigs, It makes life so much more convenient.

Some people do use glue to make the wig lay flat as possible but I don't.  I have not used glue yet but I can see it working and being needed when people wear a wig ponytail.

Edited by sunshine321511 - Jan 16 2014 at 8:22pm
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunshine321511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2014 at 3:32pm
This Wig is still going strong.  I just can't believe that I started wearing this wig around Oct 16th and I'm still wearing it.  That is why my preference is really the syn. lace wigs because the curls last a long time, and with care you can really have a wig for MONTHS.  Below I'm going to post current pictures.

[/QUOTE]
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunshine321511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2014 at 3:38pm
Now here are recent pictures as I'm gong to the plantation (work).  Now I am purposely putting the pictures at this size so you can SEE...I'm not perfect, I've seen better and I'm still learning but I hope this post in encouraging you to 1) try a lace wig or 2) have a lace wig on standby for when needed.

Now this is a close up so you see it is getting "dusty" 

Now notice the picture with the pin, the purpose is to show that when the bang of a wig is moving a lot  you can put a hair pin in the wig and pin it down.

Edited by sunshine321511 - Jan 19 2014 at 3:41pm
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunshine321511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2014 at 3:44pm
Now you ask, can people see the pin in your hair.  I don't think they can from a 3 feet distance if they are standing in front of me.  These pictures are right at the hair line. 

Also, for those who don't perm their hair.  My edges need a perm to lay down.  I am putting a perm just on my edges tomorrow but this shows that with some wig textures, it is best to perm your edges.  I consider myself "natural" but I only perm like one inch.  Just the hair by the part and no further.

Maybe once every 1 1/2 years I might perm my full hair for a purpose but it is not my norm.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunshine321511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2014 at 10:12am
Perming your edges -

Today I am off, so I just permed my edges.  I only permed one inch in the front only.  Just the bare minimum of hair is permed.  The sole purpose is to blend better with my wig.  Now that is my choice, I'm not saying everyone does this or must do this...BUT FOR ME...I prefer to per my edges.

What perm do I use:
Since I am only perming 1 inch, I use a lustrasilk perm kit from WalMart for around $4.00. 

Reasons:  Why invest in a mizani or expensive perm and you are only perming one inch.  My goal is to spend as little as possible.

Well, they forcast snow here so I don't expect to be going to work tomorrow but when I next do my hair, I'm going to take a picture with the same WIG to show how perming the edges looks better.

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunshine321511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2014 at 10:21am

How to make your wig last as LONG AS POSSIBLE -

The wig above was purchased in OCT 2013 and now it is Jan 2014.  You may ask...how were you able to keep the wig looking good for so long.

1) Put on wig head with "wig pins " T " shaped metal pins made for securing wigs.  I do not mean an expensive wig head, I'm talking about a 4.00 styfoam wig head that you buy at a local BBS.

2) I take my "work" wig off as soon as I get home.

3) I don't make it a habit to lay down in the bed or sleep in my wigs.

4) I understand that I am wearing a 25.00 wig so I know it may not look good after washing, some syn. wig come out great...but I have also messed up a few....so I don't wash my syn. wigs any longer.  When it is done...it is a trash wig.  PERIOD

5) I do spray my wig with wig holding spray but try not to make the mistake I made above and spray to frequently because it will get "dusty".

6) I don't take a shower with my wigs on or swim.   
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunshine321511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2014 at 6:03pm
TODAY ...I wore a new wig...FridayNightHair.com.  The Wig is GLS63.

The wig is a synthetic lace front wig with curls.  I tried to copy the picture but the site might have a "BLOCK" feature because I can not do it. You will need to move the arrows in the picture above to see the picture.

The wig is about 15 inches long and I had to cut it to fit "my" needs.  The curls are nice.  I am going to post pictures below.

Initial Comments -
I bought this wig at least 6 months ago if not longer.  It is a lace front and I am IMPRESSED with the way the lace is virtually invisible.  This wig has the best lace Ever.  It is none seen to the naked eye.  This wig looks like MY HAIR and I never say that.

Curl Pattern:
The wig has medium size curls with I loosened with my fingers.

What I had to do:
  • first off, this wig is shiny.  I had to do my speedstick method
  • Placed wig on head
  • I cut the wig to a shorter bob length
  • I wet the bang area, used my  brush and blow dryer to create bang.
  • Sprayed bang area and Put on scarf to flatten wig and kept on for like 2 1/2 hours.
  • sprayed with hair spray to "FIRM" up the wig.
  • Put behind my hair line, put weave aid on edges in the front by the part
  • THIS WIG REQUIRES HAIR TO BE PERMED, if wearing behind hair line. 
  • about 2 weeks ago I permed about one inch by my part area only.

Edited by sunshine321511 - Feb 02 2014 at 6:11pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 32>
  Share Topic