Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Wigs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

How to make Your Wig Look it's BEST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 32>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
sunshine321511 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunshine321511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 7:47am
Well, I took out my individuals in the front and did a good hair conditioning and PUT IT RIGHT BACK IN.
I went back to the braider and got my edges rebraided again.

THis will be my last time, because you KNOW...we much take a break and switch it UP.  I say that because have you ever seen ladies who wear braids TOO LONG and TOO OFTEN and their edges are GONE.

That can happen to anyone if we are not VIGILENT and make ourselves change up the style.  Any style after a while can take break your hair off. 

If you wear a ponytail in the same spot, over and over...that spot will thin.
If you wear braids over and over, some people will lose their edges little by little
I wore my U PART and loved it, but where I was bonding my little track...it started to thin.

SO no matter what any style and all styles can effect your hair if you are not careful.

My plan is to keep these braids in for about 5 weeks, then I'm go  back to the braider and just get a few flat braids, leaving out just a little like 1/2 inch in the front and I'm going to wear my wig as close to the hairline as possible.

I'm going to wear the wig on an angle where it comes to the hairline on one side and further back on the other. I'll see i I can find a picture or video to post showing this technique.

The braider charges like 170.00 to do a weave...I said to myself, it is cheaper for me to pay you 35.00 for some big braids, and wear my WIG.  With my wig, no working with it in the morning, just shower, get dressed and GO.

Sponsored Links

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunshine321511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 05 2012 at 7:10pm
Wearing a WIG and TRaveling....

I just came back from Dallas and I thought I'd post how my wig experience went....

Okay, on my last trip, I had my wig pinned in with bobby pins.  The pins caused a little too much attention and I just told the lady TSA person that I had on a wig and had pins.  She took me aside and was touching my hair extensively.  Now mind you, I'm with hubby so he was able to go through security and he had to wait for me.   Ouch
He didn't make a big deal, he knows the wig status, but I didn't like all the "extra" attention.  So this time, I planned in ADVANCE for this trip.

What I did was .....sew my wig down.

My own HAIR:
I had my hair braided in a circle with a 5 braids down the middle.
I believe that is the KEY, you must have your hair sewed in a circle

Wig -
I used the easy vera but you could use any wig
I gathered up the wig all the way around with a pony tail holder
then I pinned it down to my braided circle

How to Sew down:
I attached a net wig cap (I have a link to this item above)
I sewed a few sections of the wig cap down before sewing the WIG DOWN.
Then I pinned the wig down to my wig cap in a few places to secure
THen I got my curved needle and sewed the wig down around the front and sides.

Airport -
Make SURE when you go to the airport that you have NO PINS IN YOUR HAIR
I secured my hair with a cloth scruchie

Experience at Airport -
From BWI to dallas no one blinked an EYE, I walked through, spread my feet and raised my hands in the circle booth.  NO ATTENTION

Does it affect how long wig will last -
I do beleive the wig will NOT LAST as long because when you can take off your wig each night to ME it last a WHOLE LOT Longer, but this is an option to consider when traveling or when you just want an option.

REturning at Dallas airport, I went in, they had me go in a second time, the TSA lady said, I need to feel the back of your hair and it was a quick 5 second thing.

It was not like the first experience when I had in all these bobby pins to secure my wig.  THis will be my new method when possible for travel. 

Here is a video showing how to attach wig - speed up to around 3:20 - you will get the idea.

femmemuscleisback View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemuscleisback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2012 at 7:51am
thanks for the airport advice, Miss Sunshine.

i learned not to wear bobby pins long time ago, after the 9/11 situation.  A week after that incident i had to travel Delta airlines.  The attitude of airport security totally changed.  One of the security guards (filipino male) went overboard, and took out my tampons from my back pack, held it up and asked "What is this?" like he'd never seen one of THOSE before.

One of the female security guards (hispanic) eyed it with suspicion.  When i finally just said "It's a TAMPON, ladies and gentlemen, a TAMPON"..Ouch

When i finally retrieved my back pack, i held up the suspicious looking TAMPON BOMB for all to see, waved it around and said "Super Plus! Super Plus"!!!

LOL

Edited by femmemuscleisback - Dec 09 2012 at 9:50pm
902sexxi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 902sexxi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2012 at 10:52pm
So glad I read about the traveling with wigs, I was planning on traveling tomorrow and wearing a wig pinned down as a quick style. Ixnay on the wignay LOL, I'll wear a slouchy tam and KIM. Thanks for the tips.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sunshine321511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2012 at 2:12pm
 HOW TO CUT A BANG INTO YOUR WIG

Okay, so I took out my braids yesterday and I want to get all my hair braided up again.  I was looking at a bob type wig but it looked kind of fake....to me...so I said...I wish this wig had a bang so I would not need to have any of my hair out.

I went to the tube and saw these videos...which were very helpful to ME. 

THis video is a hairstylist teaching how to cut hair. He has great videos and I did this technique and it worked.

Edited by sunshine321511 - Dec 22 2012 at 2:12pm
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sunshine321511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2012 at 2:21pm
MISTAKE I MADE YESTERDAY WITH MY WIG...
The purpose of this post is to encourage others to not give up on a wig..

I tried on my bob wig and was like...I dont like this, it looks fake, so I went back to my old "top cassey" wig.  I will admit, I looked a mess, sniffling with a cold, eyes sort of sick looking and I said this wig is a MESS. Ouch SO...I said forget it and I didn't leave the house, I was sick like and decided to just go lay down.  My plan of action was just go back to "top cassey" when I return to work.

Well today I am going out shortly and I showered, did makeup up and I said to myself, go ahead and try on that bob wig again.  I don't think I'll wear it as a bob, that style never really "fit" me...but
I said well I could always wear the bang in the front and do a pony tail in the back.

A sister on you tube, I think her name is phillypoet, she said in one of her videos ....that when trying on wigs, put on your makeup, maybe earrings and then try and style the wig.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE TODAY, her statement is try...

SO I had my self "together", sprayed the wig for some of those flyaways, and I could see potential.

SO just don't be discouraged if a wig does not work at first....Thumbs Up

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunshine321511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 25 2012 at 5:58am
Update -
Cutting Bang in Wig

I made a mistake and I thought I'd share it.  I cut the bang and it was a little to long, so I had this brainy idea to put some hard rollers in the bang and dip the wig in hot water.

My thinking was to get a bump in the bang.  WELL, this idea did NOT WORK, it curled the hair too tight.  So I had to dip it again in hot water to take out the curl.

NOW what if I had done this the night before I planned to wear it to work.  SO luckly I am off this week otherwise this would have been a mess.

Also a lesson learned is always have a extra wig ready to go, so if one idea does not work that you have another plan of action.

What I should have done is......after watching several vides on you tube

What I should have done is when th wig bang was too long, I should have cut it shorter instead of trying to bump syn hair like it was human hair.

ANother option if the wigh hair is going in the wrong direction, I could have wet a brush with a little tap water, and then get my blow dryer and brush the hair in the direction I wanted it to go with the dryer warm air blowing over the brush.

Hope this helped someone...Big smile
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunshine321511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 25 2012 at 6:13am
What to do with your own hair under a wig -

Months ago I did a big chop, and for me it was easier to just mold my hair with grow protect solution and wear my wigs (leaving out hair in front 1 inches)

Now that I have had some hair growth, and after doing the braids in the front and having the briader put my back hair in larger braids....I now realize that it is better to get your hair braided well under your wig if possible.

I used to do the molding or try and plait up my hair to the best of my ability, which was not good.  Having it braided well, makes such a DIFFERENCE, it is so much easier and honestly better for my hair.

THe braid pattern done the first time was a circle,with 5-6 braids going straight back. This was fine but I don't think it was the flatest method.  The braider did use a little syn braiding hair but this did not make it bulky.

Yesterday I went to get it braided in the back only and I did the beehive method, all the way around and it was done very small and flat.  I really like this, I only left out a SLIVER of hair in the front, maybe a little less than 1/2 inch.

So if you have a braider near you, it is really worth it to just get your hair braided. 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunshine321511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2012 at 9:59am
Excellent tip...THANKS!!!!
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunshine321511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 9:52am

I purchased my first "EXPENSIVE" wig - I purchased an RPG Show ES-119s.  Here are the details.  I posted this on the lace wig board -

Details, links, price, shedding, how to apply, etc are all on the link below. 

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 32>
  Share Topic