Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Wigs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

How to make Your Wig Look its BEST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 32>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
sunshine321511 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunshine321511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2012 at 4:33pm
Are you tired of wigs and want a quick and easy break.  Well, I need a break but I wanted to spend a little money and do it myself.  SO here is what I did...

1) permed the first 2 inches of my hair
2) bought a weave net wig cap - for those who don't know what it is....Its similar to a wig cap but much stronger, it has elastic all the way around and it has rows of nets in the middle.  I will attach a picture
Click to enlarge

The cap may have extra netting at the top, you just tuck that down into the cap.

3) Track hair - 12 inches or whatever length you want.  One pack is ENOUGH
4) Weave Thread and Weave Needle - iT CAN BE STRAIGHT OR EVEN WET AND WAVY HAIR.
iF WW HAIR IS USED THEN MOUSSE WOULD BE REQUIRED ON THE WEAVE AND NATURAL HAIR

Then what you do is -
Wash your hair, get a comb and seperate the front portion that you want to leave out.
then with the back of your hair, brush it as flat as possible and apply a little gel or mousse and either sit under the hardhat dryer or use hand held hair dryer
But make sure the hair is DRY
Then remember the front is seperated by clips and you are doing nothing to that hair right now, just make sure it is dry.
THen you put on your weave net cap - Dont worry

The weave cap will stay on your head, Then you get your weave hair and you are starting at the lower nape of your head.
The first track should be like 1/4 ti 1/2 inch from the nape
Then you just sew the tracks straight across.  TO keep the rows straight use a hair pins (3) to indicate the start, middle and end of each track.
You just keep going adding tracks.
Tracks should be like a finger width a part.
Then when I got up to the top I was done.

I have in about 8 rows of tracks, the when you get to the 2nd/3rd from the last row you sew it forward so when you flip it back the hair has a "hump" and appears more FULL like the picture below.  Then the last track is sewn as normal.

And I wear my headbands...in the following style.....remember, this is a quick and dirty break from wigs. This is not an elaborate, weave. 

With my hair in the front I just flat iron it, and at night I put small rollers in my natural hair so it lays down.  Also I just cut in a few layers and that is it.  
Then I wear my million and one headbands...and I'm done...Here is the final result.

NOTHING FANCY...JUST A BREAK FROM WIGS.

Edited by sunshine321511 - Aug 31 2012 at 4:41pm
Sponsored Links

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunshine321511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2012 at 7:08pm
Today I wore my wig again.  I had a nice break for a few weeks.  I found out that one of my staples is being discontinued.  I ordered 7 of them in color 1b.  THe cost was 135.00 and I was thinking THANK YOU JESUS, for the invention of these wigs because....for 135.00 that is not even enough to buy some of the weave hair that is all the range.  I could not buy the hair and pay at stylist for 135.00.

Point is....if you find a wig that you like, keep the stock card...and buy in bulk so if and when it is discontinued you have a supply.  These 7 wigs will last me 6 to 7 months. 
femmemuscleisback View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemuscleisback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2012 at 9:37am
Wow Sunshine!

Thank you for all of the wig tips!  This is great, i started reading from page one, and stay abreast, even up til now!

you'd be surprised at who's lurking, and taking notes.  Me, for one...

Wink
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemuscleisback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2012 at 9:43am
i've done exactly as you've stated regarding saving the "stock card"..  

Also, i'm learning that wig companies take advantage of wigs that will be discontinued by hiking up the price.

Wig.com/Ebonyline had a Human hair model that i liked called "Rona".. i bought it for $39.99.  3 months later? the wig has been discontinued.  they only had 3 left in stock, with colors that didn't suit me.

I went to the Wilshirewig.com website.  This same wig is now $72.

Other websites because of it's clearance?  the highest i've seen was $89.99.

I finally went to a  website called "Beauty of New York.com".. The same wig is in stock, with a variety of colors for $45.00. Thus i bought 2 more.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemuscleisback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2012 at 9:47am
Sherri Shepard has come out with her own wig line (through the LUX hair company)..

It's on the Wigs.com (used to be wowwig.com) website.  I decided to go for a short wig called "Full-on Curls"..

Here's the difference.  Wigs.com is hasn't fulfilled the order for this wig as of yet, and i ordered it 5 days ago.

Whereas Beauty of New York.com has fulfilled my wig order the next day, and they've sent an email with tracking information.

Maybe the reason Wigs.com isn't sending it right away?  its because the Sherri Shepard wigs are a new celebrity launch.

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunshine321511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2012 at 10:36am
Ms. Femme - THank you so much for your encouraging words.  Many times I post my ideas and its like.....silence...birds singing.....

But I am glad my ideas and experience has been helpful.

Handshake
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunshine321511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2012 at 10:58am
DISCONTINUED WIGS 101

This has not been  a good wig week for ME.  WHy did  I just find out that my ultimate favorite wig, Easy Vera by Janet is being discontinued.  Angry

I will attach a link of the wig.  I looked through my hair binder and this wig has been around for over 3 years and I wonder if that is the average timeframe before wigs are discontinued.  My other staple top cassy by vanessa was also recently discontinued.

Well, I will encourage you to perodically check online for your favorite wig and budget your money to purchase an extra one here or there.  Lord knows, I have enough wigs to last my until the end of 2013 but I am glad to know the wigs were being discontinued so I had the option to stock up.

How I wear this wig - 

First off, I may have the same wig with two or three different wigs in rotation or for different uses.   
THis helps because once you cut a wig to fit a certain style, it is difficult to switch it to fit another sytle. 

Let me clarify...to wear your wigs in certain styles, you might need to tweak it to that style.  SO I might have one that I wear back with headbands, one that I wear to the front like the picture below. I store the wigs in the plastic bag it comes in and write a note and place it in the inside indicating..cut for headband or cut shoulder length.

Weekend - Travel - I wear it longer more like the picture -  when I travel and go out with hubby on the weekends.
To work - I cut it shoulder length. I also wear it similar to the picture or with a head band.  Cuting this wig shorter does not take away from the style

This wig is shiney so I do my solid speedstick method.  The hair texture is silky so one MUST PERM THEIR EDGES!!! 

Link to Easy Vera -

Edited by sunshine321511 - Sep 29 2012 at 11:15am
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sunshine321511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 30 2012 at 8:20pm
How to feel comfortable in your first wig... I received a PM and here are my tips....I hope this HELPS!!!

1) stay close to your natural length or your length before the big chop.  If you keep it close to the same length of your natural hair or a weave worn recently, it won't gather too much  comments.
THe "funny" comments is what makes ANYONE...second guess themselves and loose confidence.  Keep it simple.

2) stay close to your natural color...when you stay close to your natural color, it is 1000% easier to blend and once again it will draw less comments.

3) leave out some of your edges..not a lot but 1/2 inch to 1 1/2 inces..., and perm those edges so they "BLEND" better with the wig hair.  ANYTIME your edges are shown the wig/weave looks more real

4) Have your supplies on hand BEFORE you start  - edge tamer, hicks edge tamer, I use weave aid straight edge pomade so you can lay down your edges.

5) Have some kind of spritz spray, wig hair spray so you can spray the wig to make it "firm"...sometimes when you open the wig pack the wig is so shaky, flippy, floppy that it needs some structure.

6) wear your wig on the weekends for a while before you wear it to work.  So you gain confidence.

7) once you start wearing your wig to school/work make sure you are ready and confident so you can continue to wear it for a while.  DOnt have a long wig MOnday, then back to Halle Berry on Tuesday...that draws unnecessary attention.

8) don't go too long at first so you won't draw unnecessary comments or attention.  When something is "NEW" to you...and you are just starting out...don't go to crazy so everyone from the bus driver to the mail man is commenting on your hair.  Keep it simple to start

9) Don't buy into every tutorial on YouTUbe, you don't need to invest in a $300.00 lace wig,  you don't need to always get a remi wig, do what is right for you. Honestly, when you are just starting out with wigs I honestly don't recommend investing in the SUPER expensive wigs because you are still in the learning stages and will make cutting, styling, and various other mistakes.

10) Don't get caught up in the tube and buying every wig a person says looks good, because many of the tubers get their wigs FREE to promote. I made that mistake!!!

11) Buy and Wear a wig that is appropriate for your age, size and your facial features.  A wig that looks great on my slim 20 year old niece, can look like a royal mess on a 45 year old woman.  We have to honest with ourselves and our genetic makeup.  A wig that might look good on a white or latino sister might look crazy on a darker sister. 

Edited by sunshine321511 - Sep 30 2012 at 8:27pm
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sunshine321511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 30 2012 at 8:37pm
Where you work makes a difference....Wigs and the workplace...I received two PM's today so I hope this helps...

Everyone is different.....if you are in corporate america...and you are trying to advance and move ahead please be mindful in your wig selections.  HOW i wear my wig on the weekend with my husband is different then the wigs I wear to work.

When I'm at work I don't want my hair to be the JOKE of the office.  I don't want my hair to be so much of the conversation that it over shadows my work.  I don't want white people asking me about my wig or making statements in the group meeting about my hair. I saw this happen to a black girl at work, the white supervisor commented about her hair in a meeting. 

If your goal is to be a director, senior executive just keep these comments in mind and be mindful in your wig selections. 

honeybee10 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeybee10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 30 2012 at 10:20pm
Sunshine I love these tips. Thank you ladies that keep this section alive. My budget is synthie friendly, so I try to make them work as best I can lol. Need to squeeze every ounce of beauty and life from them I can get. I appreciate your help so much!
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 32>
  Share Topic