Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Care - General
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How To Fix My Hair Breakage And Tangling Problem
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

How To Fix My Hair Breakage And Tangling Problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
rashae93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rashae93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How To Fix My Hair Breakage And Tangling Problem
    Posted: Jan 07 2012 at 3:54pm
My hair is right below my shoulders. I've gotten relaxers since i was 7 and i am now 18 I get a relaxer every 6-12 weeks. After receiving my first relaxer when I was 7 my hair became thinner. Over time my hair has gotten thinner and thinner. I recently highlighted my hair at the beginning of September 2011. Then I relaxed it at the end of October and when I went to blow dry my hair and as I blow dried it my hair came out in wads. I still have enough hair on my head to style it. My hair gets really tangled when I wash it it takes atleast an hour to detangle it (it does this on the regular but it has gotten worse since I got a color job) Then on top of that I can't comb or brush my hair without seeing strands of hair in my comb or brush. How do i correct the thinning, shedding/breakage, and the massive tangling? Please help me I'm at my wits end my hair has begun to depress me I need solutions and solutions fast before I officially lose my mind!!!
Sponsored Links

Kocoa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kocoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2012 at 11:03pm
You may want to stop relaxing your hair for a while. I've noticed that when I used relax my hair being fine as it already was, it would get really thin. I mean, if it was any thinner, it would be transparent. I think your hair might be seriously damaged if it's coming out in wads. The first thing I would do is lay off any chemical treatments until I know my hair is strong enough to take them. As for the breakage, I would suggest that you do a protein treatment. There's been a lot of rave reviews on the Aphogee 2 min keratin constructor. There's also the Aphogee 2 step treatment, but that one is supposed to be a heavy protein treatment.

When you're washing your hair, pay attention to you handle it. Doing things like balling up the hair on top your head is a complete no-no. Generally, you should let the force of the water detangle your hair for you. What I do when I wash my hair is to just section it out in 2-4 parts and just wash everything in a downward motion. You could also try oil rinsing your hair sometimes. If you've got some EVOO or EVCO laying around that would be perfect for this kind of thing. If you do have those oil, you could just apply some to your hair (I usually do this after dampening my hair, before co-washing) and when it's saturated enough, you could try running a detangling comb through your hair and then let the force of the water carry the oil out of your hair. Oil rinsing is an easy way to detangle and get some moisture locked in. I know that habit works on naturals but I really can't say how well it would work on a relaxed head.

Since the tangling's gotten worse after you added highlights in, I'm wondering if part of the reason your hair keeps tangling is that your cuticles are still raised. In my case (being natural), I would use a ACV rinse (apple cider vinegar) to help close up my cuticles. Other ppl use Roux Porosity Control for that. If you can't get either of those things, just rinsing your hair in cold water will help shut those cuticles and maybe help bring the tangling to a minimum. I should also advise you to stay away from the blow dryer for now. High heat can make the damage worse and cause more breakage. Try airdrying for a bit, until you get the breakage under control. The same goes for the brush. Brushes are known for causing mechical damage (hair breakage and split ends) so since your hair is so delicate at the moment, I would think should stepping away from that thing is a good idea. HTHs
Loveverythinghair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loveverythinghair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2012 at 3:20pm
rashae93, if you colored you hair you need to do deep conditioning treatments often.

You sound like me, I love the color and I went through Cosmetology school doing the same thing relaxing and adding color just months later, the bleach itself will make your hair tangle, it will become dry and brittle and combing hair wet was not recommended as my Instructor told me " do not comb wet hair) Although I still do it.

Also hair is going to shed no matter what.

You can make it shed less and try to keep it healthy.

I recommend what the first user said but I also would recommend hot oil treatments to put the oil back in your hair.

Bleach strips the hair of it's natural oil.

Blow Dryer with bleach isn't good it will make it come out worse.

Wrap it maybe or let it air dry some way that is easier for you combing and blow drying makes your hair stress.

Do a hot oil treatment, if you have dead ends get them cut and buy a sealer for the ends to seal dead ends.

I would lay off on the color overall.

High lights are bad for the hair, no way around it even though it be so pretty.

I purchased a temporary rinse and added it on my highlights, as temporary color does not do any chemical changes to hair it only coats the surface so no damage will be done.

That will help make your hair more manageable until the color grows off, Of course if you got gold/blonde highlights for example, don't use black get a color to compliment the color you have on your hair already. If not condition the highlighted areas very good so you can add moisture back in your hair, Hair is nothing but protein and if you add to much more of that your hair will become even more dry and brittle.

I hope this helps you too.

modelbusiness82 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modelbusiness82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2012 at 12:20am
They pretty much said it all, but try stretching your relaxer from 6-12 weeks to even 12 - 24 weeks if you can. Lay off the heat.

Also, what's your diet like? Are you eating a balanced diet or no? Exercise? Drinking plenty of water?

What's your stress level like? Try to control stress when & where possible (although this can be difficult).

Try growth vitamins in the meantime while you change your haircare routine. Nioxin or Hairfinity are good ones (I've used both). Try adding a teaspoon of MSM (powder form) to your juice daily to lengthen the anogen (sp) growth cycle in hair.
rashae93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rashae93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2012 at 5:36pm

Thank You All For Taking The Time To Respond To Me!!! Im currently trying to go 3 months without a relaxer jan. 26 will make 3 months i havent used a blow dryer or flat irons in 2 weeks and i'm actually doing surprisingly well without using my normalities i'm going to do a  co wash tomorrow so would it be appropriate to use the apple cider vinegar then and i was also told by my hair stylist that i shouldnt use apple cider vinegar (or as she would say "my grandmas remedies") in my hair because it would be to harsh on my hair my diet consist of mostly vegetables fish and baked chicken and if i eat other meats or junk food its probably once every month or two i'm not really a fan of the junk food and i dont sodas i usely drink water and i dont drink milk because it gives me cramps

rashae93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rashae93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2012 at 5:43pm
What is MSM? (and i also failed to mention that i am on birth control and some say that my birth control pills could be a factor in my hair)
Kocoa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kocoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2012 at 12:18am
That's good news to hear that your hair is doing better. As for the ACV rinse, as far as I've experienced, it's really harmless because it's supposed to be diluted in water (1 tbsp to 1 cup of water). I don't do it too often though because I have low porosity hair and it's pretty much not needed in my situation. If you do really feel uncomfortable using the ACV, you could still always just use cold water - either will work to close your cuticles down. You sound like you're getting enough nutrients with your diet but don't forget to exercise regularly. The increased bloodflow should help out your follicles.

As for the MSM, that's just another way to say "organic sulfur". I've heard that it lengthens your anagen (hair growing) phase. I've considered using it but I'm scared that it would loosen my curl pattern too much, lol.
rashae93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rashae93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2012 at 8:50pm
I Just Co Washed My Hair And I Did The Sectioning And It Helped Tremendously With The Tangling Any Minor Tangles I Came Across Came Out Easily With Finger Combing I Chose To Blow Dry My Hair With Low Heat So I Wouldn't Cause Too Much Heat Damage And I'll Wear A Bun Until I Get A Relaxer In Two Weeks So I Am Really Shooting For Strengthening My Hair Before Using Any Lengthening Products So I Can Get The Results I Truly Want From The Lengthening Product.... How Would I Know Whether Or Not My Hair Needs Moisture Or Protein Because I've Heard That You Can Do An Overdose Of Protein And Moisture And I Want To Ensure I'm Getting The Right Mixture Of Protein And Moisture... And Where Would I Find The MSM Product And Does Hairfinity Actually Work Or Is It One Of Thise Products That Work For The Moment Then Eventually Stop Working? And Also Was Told To Use Sulfur Free And Silicone/-cone Free Shampoos And Conditioners Is This True For African American Hair?
Kocoa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kocoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2012 at 2:18am
Clap

I thought sectioning would help. I had an awful time keeping my hair from curling up w/ itself when I was newbie natural. It weren't for the girls in the Natural Hair Care forum, I'd be still pulling out knots in the shower. Bunning is a great PS. Low manipulation is the key in times like this. Don't worry too much about the Protein-Moisture balance. It's really all about learning how to listen to your hair. Since you relax, I would say you should do a light protein treatment right before you go in for a touch up. The reason why I say light is because you could do these more often without worrying about overload. More often than not, your hair is always gonna be craving moisture more than anything else. From what I've read on the net, I think if your hair is overconditioned, it will start to feel mushy. Now if you're getting too much protein, your hair will feel constantly dry and will get brittle. I suggest that you study your products' ingredients because that usually the pitfall to protein overload. There's so many products out there with a label that just screams "MOISTURE" and it contains proteins. That's not to say proteins are bad because we also need them to bind moisture to our hair especially when it's porous.

I've seen MSM powder available at my local GNC. I don't have any experience using stuff like Hairfinity. I just use my regular ol' Hair, Skin & Nails vitamins. As for Sulfate-free and Silicone-free products, in my experience, my hair does prefer non-sulfate shampoos a lot better because they are less stripping. When I clarify, that's when I pull out my sulfate shampoo and that's only like once a month. The same goes for Silicone-free products. The reason why so many ppl are against cones is because while it does help keep hair detangled and looking shiny, they also create a barrier that can block out moisture after awhile but that's where clarifying kicks in. As long as you know when to clarify, you shouldn't have too much problems when it comes to cones.
rashae93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rashae93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2012 at 10:22am
Would it be ok to use a cleansing shampoo before relaxing my hair?
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic