Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Lace Fronts (Newbies)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How to choose density?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
furrfurr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furrfurr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to choose density?
    Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 3:15pm
I was wondering if there is a rule of thumb you should go by for choosing a density? I wanted pretty heavy and nice and thick but don't want it to look fake, like I'm wearing a wig. Any suggestions on how to choose? Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links

SoDivine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoDivine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 3:19pm
Hi furrFurr,

It really depends on what you like!  I like big curls so I like a heavier density. What type of hair are you getting?

Edited by SoDivine - Jan 14 2013 at 3:20pm
furrfurr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furrfurr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 6:14pm
I'm going to get 100% Indian Remy silky straight. Thanks for the help.
chatnoir View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chatnoir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 8:38pm
I like going up to 120% for straight styles, with no more than 80% at the hairline.  Be careful though, make sure that the vendor ventilates enough hair at the crown so you don't get that see through scalp look.
SistaHollywood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SistaHollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 10:23am
Originally posted by chatnoir chatnoir wrote:

I like going up to 120% for straight styles, with no more than 80% at the hairline.  Be careful though, make sure that the vendor ventilates enough hair at the crown so you don't get that see through scalp look.

It's easier to take out hair then to add and vendor dont like you to send the hair back to add more 120 % for me to I do 80-100 % at the hairline Remember lace wigs are work you will have to tweak them to what you like from bleaching the knots to thining the hairline.Wink
furrfurr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furrfurr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 10:51am
This is probably a really stupid question... What do you mean by ventilates enough hair at the crown? I defiantly don't want a see through scalp look!! So you think 150% would be to much for a straight look? Do I ask the vendor to think the hairline to less or do I do it myself? Sorry for so many questions... I am so new and am almost ready to put an order in but don't want to screw it all up!! Thanks!!
chatnoir View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chatnoir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 11:32am
Originally posted by furrfurr furrfurr wrote:

This is probably a really stupid question... What do you mean by ventilates enough hair at the crown? I defiantly don't want a see through scalp look!! So you think 150% would be to much for a straight look? Do I ask the vendor to think the hairline to less or do I do it myself? Sorry for so many questions... I am so new and am almost ready to put an order in but don't want to screw it all up!! Thanks!!

No question is a dumb question. Smile  I think 150% "might" be unnatural looking, but that's just me.  You want the unit to look as natural as possible, as if it's your own hair.  I like to use Maria Shriver as an example, and Oprah has thick hair too (though nowadays it's hard for me to tell if she's wearing added hair or not).  I've gone as high as 130%, and for myself, I wouldn't go any thicker than that.

Ventilation is how hair is placed on a wig cap, kinda like needlepoint, lol.  If you're worried about a thin hairline, ask for 100%, and then tweak it to your liking.  There are some vendors that do sell a few heavier density wigs, such as Cooper Wigs.

Edited by chatnoir - Jan 16 2013 at 11:35am
Naturalchick30 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naturalchick30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 11:47am

I think most vendors have density charts.  Ask to see their chart and pick one that looks how you want it to. 

furrfurr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furrfurr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 12:29pm
Thank you ladies! Makes a lot more since! I will ask about a density chart too. When you say ask for 100%... how would I fraise that question? Sorry, I am so new to all of this.
chatnoir View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chatnoir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by furrfurr furrfurr wrote:

Thank you ladies! Makes a lot more since! I will ask about a density chart too. When you say ask for 100%... how would I fraise that question? Sorry, I am so new to all of this.

When you visitor a vendor's website, they typically have a FAQ with a density section and density charts.  Here are some search results to members who have had similar questions.  Also, be sure to go through the newbie stickies. Wink

density percentage - Black Hair Media Forum
Choose a density for the hairline, front of wig and then the base of wig. Hair style ñ freestyle: having no built-in tendency. Can be worn in most ...
http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/density-percentage_topic83384.html - Cached - Linking Blogs
Lace Wig University - Black Hair Media Forum - BlackHairMedia
Texture: Choosing the correct texture to match the density, thus meaning coarse hair high density will not give me hair bouncing in the wind, ...
http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/lace-wig-university-bhm-taught-me_topic253561.ht... - Cached - Linking Blogs
Swiss cap with single knots throughout - Density?? - Black Hair ...
Choose a density for the hairline, front of wig and then the base of wig. With all- lace systems, where the hair density is such that there isn't ...
http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/swiss-cap-with-single-knots-throughout-density_t... - Cached - Linking Blogs
Help please! ordering my 1st Lace wig - Black Hair Media Forum
My hair is thin, what density should I choose? Do I need to choose a light density in front- thicker in the back? What do you think? I am going to ...
http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/help-please-ordering-my-1st-lace-wig_topic294152... - Cached - Linking Blogs
Thick Density WIgs? - Black Hair Media Forum - Page 1
The density on this one is 150% ... I just ordered a custom and the density is 80% and still looks really full. ... Yes,choose the one you like.
http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/thick-density-wigs_topic312799.html - Cached - Linking Blogs
Ask A Silly Question Thread - Black Hair Media Forum
The amount of hair in a style; may also be referred to as thickness or volume. This choice is definitely up to the customer. Choose a density for ...
http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/ask-a-silly-question-thread_topic189166.html - Cached - Linking Blogs
Lace Fronts for Beginners - Black Hair Media Forum - Page 1
And as far as the best density it depends on what you like some people choose a higher density to compensate for any shedding that may ...
http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/lace-fronts-for-beginners_topic338281.html - Cached - Linking Blogs

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic