Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How old were you when you bought your 1st home?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

How old were you when you bought your 1st home?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Blac1Chyna View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blac1Chyna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How old were you when you bought your 1st home?
    Posted: Feb 21 2014 at 12:10am
I'm feeling pressure by the fam for me to become a home owner. My mom is forever saying that I should be an owner instead of a renter, etc. Now is just not the time for me to buy IMO. I have no kids, I'm just getting started in my career and haven't even finished school yet. So what I look like buying a permanent residence?
Sponsored Links

Printer_Ink View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Printer_Ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2014 at 12:54am
I purchased my first home at 31 and my mother also pushed me to buy earlier than that. (Renting is throwing your money out of the window - that is true). I didn't have kids either or even a bf at the time but that has nothing to do with it.

Home ownership is an 'investment' - same as putting your money into the stock market (so be careful WHERE you buy and WHAT you buy. It's just that you are living in your investment instead of looking at it on paper. The big rule - you want to buy something that you can one day SELL and make a PROFIT off the home, just like stocks. Long story.) 

And 'permanent' is relative. Nobody your age would live in a house .. permanently chances are. I would say you have to live there for at least 3 years to earn back at least the money you into it originally. But I would say 5 - 6 years would be long enough to live in your 'starter home' before you sell [up]  and buy something else.Wink

I didn't know how to buy a house either of course, but my mother got herself in her car and drove the 9 hours to Atlanta to SIT WITH ME several weeks,  pay down my bills,  and help me find and buy the perfect home. Beautiful place. Since then I have purchased 4 houses on my own - 2 of them here in this new country.

Once you go through it the one time ... you can purchase subsequent houses on your own. But IMO you need your mother or father to help you (or someone you trust) that first time around. Smile

But how long have you been working in your career? If it's too short of a time ... you are not going to qualify for a mortgage anyway.

You have get your credit in order, have 10% in cash to put down on the house, have savings for mainteance (like your oven stops working, or your hot water heater needs replacement etc) and have a stable income so .... is your mother willing to help you?

What you could do on your own to is to make an appointment with the mortgage lender at your bank to discuss how you can get a mortgage - based on your income. Every mortgage lender is different but right there, they will tell you what you qualify for, or what problems they already see. That way you know what you need to correct etc and so when you decide you really are ready to buy ... you will know what to expect. (Mortgage lenders lovvvve to talk to you.)

Otherwise, though I think your mother is trying to help you prepare for your future - maybe she is putting unreasonable pressure on you to buy a house at this time.

I know A LOT about buying a house so if you ever get serious about it - contact me and I will tell you what I know.

Edited by Printer_Ink - Feb 21 2014 at 1:25am
ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2014 at 2:50am
is she going to help you pay for it?
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2014 at 2:53am
Trust me if you can buy young, buy young
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2014 at 5:57am

my parents helped though
Missvw View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Missvw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2014 at 6:06am
I'm buying my house next year, so I'll be 29
beautiful_hair View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote beautiful_hair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2014 at 6:06am
27, but I sold it back in August.
MsBMW View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote MsBMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2014 at 6:57am
I purchased my 1st home at 21 years young along with my husband..he was 23
Princess Grace View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Princess Grace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2014 at 7:18am
21, but I had help. 
Katrenia View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote Katrenia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2014 at 7:52am
I was 23. I used my tax return as a down payment, took advantage of a first time buyers program and bought a 3 BR townhouse. I rented out two rooms which paid most of my mortgage. I lived well and only paid about $150 a month for mortgage and my share of the utilities.

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic