Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How old is too old to start a music career?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 13141516>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
princesshoneybee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princesshoneybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by PurpleHaze PurpleHaze wrote:

I'm close to 50. 

Cool. Age is nothing but a numberTongue
Sponsored Links

PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 8:00pm
oh I love it. I'm not 50 yet but I'm claiming it. I've always added a few years to my age anyway lol. I round it off.

Edited by PurpleHaze - Dec 15 2012 at 8:01pm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 8:03pm
I don't think 22 is too old to be starting.  
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princesshoneybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 8:10pm

oh I love it. I'm not 50 yet but I'm claiming it. I've always added a few years to my age anyway lol. I round it off.

I do this too! If I am almost there why not claim it now and get used to the idea.Wink
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 8:11pm
for some reason I always wanted to be older than I was. 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princesshoneybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 8:11pm

I don't think 22 is too old to be starting.  

I hope your right! I gotta compete with 18 year olds!
modelbusiness82 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modelbusiness82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by princesshoneybee princesshoneybee wrote:

Originally posted by modelbusiness82 modelbusiness82 wrote:

Originally posted by Jr1127 Jr1127 wrote:

Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

princess, are you a singer or a rapper?

do you have a youtube channeL?

Not yet but I will make one! I am a singer
Do you have a manager?

I don't think I need one, i thought managers were for people who are already signed to a label

Not necessarily. Sometimes having someone focused on the business side can free you up to focus on the quality of the product. A manager is good sometimes bc as an indie, it can be hard for other businesses to take you seriously. Case in point, the agency I created only works on a b2b basis. I find that often enough, the actual artist isn't thinking about the business aspects in terms of the marketing, PR & promotional work that needs to go into "making it". And often enough, many mainstream firms won't even entertain a dialogue with you when you're an indie artist with no form of representation.

On the flip side, not everyone who says they're a manager is actually any good at it. However, I know S. Florida has a lot of reputable artist management firms if what you're looking for is someone local. I would suggest aligning with an artist management company with a reputation for at least getting their artists booked or having radio airplay in their regional market. Find artists that you like in your region, and see who's managing them.

Do artists have to pay upfront or is it like a modeling agency where the management only makes money if you do?

Traditionally, they take a percentage of revenue earned. Upfront fees for a management company are questionable. Now if you hire a PR person or marketing agency...that's a different story and they traditionally won't accept a "we'll pay you when we get paid" scenario.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princesshoneybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 8:44pm
realistically do you think a 22 year old just starting out can make it in pop? It may take like 3 years and then i'll be 25. 
modelbusiness82 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote modelbusiness82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 8:51pm
It really depends on the person, their connections and who they're marketing to.

IMO you need an artist management firm. Not knowing your budget, you will be money ahead if you go that route. It sounds like you don't have a demo EP. So getting the demo done is going to be your biggest priority. Ideally, get producers who are "workers for hire", meaning they can't make any claim to the music you're making and anything you pay them equals total compensation for time and efforts invested on their part. In this way, if you link up with an artist management firm or get signed to a small/medium label, you won't have any issues with rights.

Likewise, if you go with an artist management firm, you won't be out of pocket for the other necessary yet unknown costs like PR, marketing, booking fees, etc. That will be on the firm to front to people such as myself to do on your behalf. Now, of course, this means they'll get more of your money when/if you start earning revenue. But if you really feel like you have no clue about what to do, doing it alone can be a huge risk.

The indie market isn't how it was when I first got on the scene in '03. EVERYONE - majors and indies alike -  is mixed into the same platforms and fighting for "eyeballs & wallspace" as we say in the marketing industry. So, if you don't have connections, you can spend your life gigging it or making singles and never making headway. And if you don't already have "ins" with people (which is a feeling I get from what you're saying), doing everything by yourself is probably not the greatest idea.
EasterBell View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EasterBell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 9:26pm
over 35
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 13141516>