Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedHow old is too old to start a music career?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 16>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
princesshoneybee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

Originally posted by princesshoneybee princesshoneybee wrote:

Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

there's no age that is too old unless you're trying to sell sex or youth.

Does nicki minaj sell sex? She is my inspiration for being an older musician. Jlo , Carly rae jepsen and madonna.

i don't consider her an older artist, i just consider her an artist that got older.  her first mixtape dropped when she was like 24-25 which is young, imo.

when you start talking about JLo and Madonna I get confused b/c i thought the question was what age is too old to START...not what age should you stop.  Madonna was also in her early or mid 20's when her first album dropped.

Nicki started at 22. Madonna at 25 and Jenifer lopez at 27
Sponsored Links

Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by modelbusiness82 modelbusiness82 wrote:

IMO, there are certain genres where starting out at anything other than your early 20s is going to be hard. But much of it depends on what demographic you're looking to market yourself to.

Rock, hiphop and true R&B allow you to be as old as possibly mid 30s and still break into the business as a mainstream artist. However, usually you will find that people who "made it" at an older age were already involved with the industry on some level i.e. backup singers, ghost writers, etc.

Now, if you're focusing on that financially loyal 13 - 24 demographic, you're going to need to be younger as your fan base will always be cycling in and out.

Also ask yourself if you're looking to only "make it" in the US or international as well. The US is probably one of the hardest markets to penetrate as there is a lot of politics involved that aren't necessarily there when you're a US artist trying to break into other countries.

Fans are more loyal internationally and will also run interference for you with various media outlets ranging from traditional (print/tv) to new media (blogs, internet radio, etc).  

I work with a lot of artists and definitely distributing and promoting them abroad works better even in getting them visibility here in the US. It has that "why are you the last to know about someone in your own country" effect I find.

So basically, I am already too old.
PRnena View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

http://www.youtube.com/#/watch?v=GWwnqIdX7q0

http://www.youtube.com/#/watch?v=tkD7r3cjeQI
I like singing the last part of the 2nd song. Sorry imon my phone
modelbusiness82 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

JLo was a backup dancer...so again, that's someone who was already technically in the industry. And I believe the same can be said of Madonna...that she was already doing things that put her in the right circle. Like GaGa doing burlesque and being "discovered" while already on stage. 
PRnena View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 2:29pm
I'm turnin 19 thrusday and I. Feel like I'm pushin it. Smh
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 2:30pm
@princesshoneybee...

how old are you? You're never too old if there's something you really want to do. But in this industry, you're going to need to be super creative. Also keep in mind, "mainstream" isn't what it used to be.

I personally know and rep artists who are on major labels both in the US and abroad, but they get no real financial backing by the label. So, getting signed doesn't hold the same weight that it did in the past. Nowadays, labels aren't giving you marketing money until you've already proven yourself. So, you'll end up with a deal but still be expected to figure out how to get your name out there on your own. Then once your first album creates that buzz, they'll come back and give you funding (both production & marketing) for your next album...but you will literally have paid them for the honor of doing all the work yourself.

Consider a distribution deal and honestly, look to find a small/medium label or artist management firm who's going to work harder for you than a major will.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by PRnena PRnena wrote:

I'm turnin 19 thrusday and I. Feel like I'm pushin it. Smh

You are a baby. Shut up.Wink
Jewelsnyc View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 2:31pm
When we had the listening session for this joint right here...I kicked that chair back and all the professionalism went right out the window...and the island gal was doing the bogle & the butterfly yooo...LOLLOLLOL

Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by modelbusiness82 modelbusiness82 wrote:

@princesshoneybee...

how old are you? You're never too old if there's something you really want to do. But in this industry, you're going to need to be super creative. Also keep in mind, "mainstream" isn't what it used to be.

I personally know and rep artists who are on major labels both in the US and abroad, but they get no real financial backing by the label. So, getting signed doesn't hold the same weight that it did in the past. Nowadays, labels aren't giving you marketing money until you've already proven yourself. So, you'll end up with a deal but still be expected to figure out how to get your name out there on your own. Then once your first album creates that buzz, they'll come back and give you funding (both production & marketing) for your next album...but you will literally have paid them for the honor of doing all the work yourself.

Consider a distribution deal and honestly, look to find a small/medium label or artist management firm who's going to work harder for you than a major will.

I am 22 but in July 23
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 2:40pm
What kind of music are you trying to do? Sorry I didn't read all 9 pages.

I would say you're fine...unless you're going for the Bieber/Mindless Behavior demo...
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 16>
  Share Topic