Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

How old is too old to start a music career?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 16>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
wuts-rly-good View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wuts-rly-good Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by Jewelsnyc Jewelsnyc wrote:

Understand..

...I like that you have a plan and have created a niche for yourself...you will definitely get to where you want to be if you can provide a service.

Have you worked at all with people from the A? If so have you heard of Verse, Rock City or Sham AKA Sak Pase? Verse is now an artist, but he and Sak Pase used to produce. Rock City are writers for any major artist you can name...and Sak Pase produced Man Down on Rihanna last album...The industry is a crazy place, but with perseverance & talent..you can get in...

i heard of them,havent worked with them yet.i connected and deal with a few ppl from the A but i havent been out there since last year on business.a couple of my ppls up here that i worked with in nyc went down there to work at other music companies and they are doing their thing.I plan on going down there 2013 and stay for a minute to do business
Sponsored Links

princesshoneybee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princesshoneybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by modelbusiness82 modelbusiness82 wrote:

@princesshoneybee...

how old are you? You're never too old if there's something you really want to do. But in this industry, you're going to need to be super creative. Also keep in mind, "mainstream" isn't what it used to be.

I personally know and rep artists who are on major labels both in the US and abroad, but they get no real financial backing by the label. So, getting signed doesn't hold the same weight that it did in the past. Nowadays, labels aren't giving you marketing money until you've already proven yourself. So, you'll end up with a deal but still be expected to figure out how to get your name out there on your own. Then once your first album creates that buzz, they'll come back and give you funding (both production & marketing) for your next album...but you will literally have paid them for the honor of doing all the work yourself.

Consider a distribution deal and honestly, look to find a small/medium label or artist management firm who's going to work harder for you than a major will.

I was thinking of going the internet route and not having a label for a while, perhaps creating an online buzz might get me noticed?
ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by princesshoneybee princesshoneybee wrote:

Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

there's no age that is too old unless you're trying to sell sex or youth.

Does nicki minaj sell sex? She is my inspiration for being an older musician. Jlo , Carly rae jepsen and madonna.

i don't consider her an older artist, i just consider her an artist that got older.  her first mixtape dropped when she was like 24-25 which is young, imo.

when you start talking about JLo and Madonna I get confused b/c i thought the question was what age is too old to START...not what age should you stop.  Madonna was also in her early or mid 20's when her first album dropped.

Nicki started at 22. Madonna at 25 and Jenifer lopez at 27

jlo was in the biz before 27 though....but do you consider any of those ages old?
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princesshoneybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 2:42pm

What kind of music are you trying to do? Sorry I didn't read all 9 pages.

I would say you're fine...unless you're going for the Bieber/Mindless Behavior demo...

I want to be an entertainer, I am not necessarily going for having the best vocals. I've been dancing since 13 and I think I'm pretty good. My voice is decent but I have a little way to go.
ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 2:43pm
princess, are you a singer or a rapper?

do you have a youtube channeL?
modelbusiness82 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modelbusiness82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 2:43pm

@princesshoneybee...

how old are you? You're never too old if there's something you really want to do. But in this industry, you're going to need to be super creative. Also keep in mind, "mainstream" isn't what it used to be.

I personally know and rep artists who are on major labels both in the US and abroad, but they get no real financial backing by the label. So, getting signed doesn't hold the same weight that it did in the past. Nowadays, labels aren't giving you marketing money until you've already proven yourself. So, you'll end up with a deal but still be expected to figure out how to get your name out there on your own. Then once your first album creates that buzz, they'll come back and give you funding (both production & marketing) for your next album...but you will literally have paid them for the honor of doing all the work yourself.

Consider a distribution deal and honestly, look to find a small/medium label or artist management firm who's going to work harder for you than a major will.

I was thinking of going the internet route and not having a label for a while, perhaps creating an online buzz might get me noticed?

Yes and no...but much like anything else all websites/platforms aren't equal. You need good PR for that as a lot of the internet postings are based on connections you or your team has with the site owners/writers.

I spend a lot of my day following up with press outlets. Because I work in a select niche (Japanese artists) it works for me, but depending on the genre you're breaking into, you need to find an angle that will make you stand out. Everyone says they can sing, everyone is the best thing since sliced bread...so always be sure to have a way to prove why they should pay you some attention vs the competition of other indie artists.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princesshoneybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 2:43pm

there's no age that is too old unless you're trying to sell sex or youth.

Does nicki minaj sell sex? She is my inspiration for being an older musician. Jlo , Carly rae jepsen and madonna.

i don't consider her an older artist, i just consider her an artist that got older.  her first mixtape dropped when she was like 24-25 which is young, imo.

when you start talking about JLo and Madonna I get confused b/c i thought the question was what age is too old to START...not what age should you stop.  Madonna was also in her early or mid 20's when her first album dropped.

Nicki started at 22. Madonna at 25 and Jenifer lopez at 27

jlo was in the biz before 27 though....but do you consider any of those ages old?

Not at all. I am 22 and I can feel the clock ticking though.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princesshoneybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 2:46pm

@princesshoneybee...

Yes and no...but much like anything else all websites/platforms aren't equal. You need good PR for that as a lot of the internet postings are based on connections you or your team has with the site owners/writers.

I spend a lot of my day following up with press outlets. Because I work in a select niche (Japanese artists) it works for me, but depending on the genre you're breaking into, you need to find an angle that will make you stand out. Everyone says they can sing, everyone is the best thing since sliced bread...so always be sure to have a way to prove why they should pay you some attention vs the competition of other indie artists.

Wow you must be very happy! That sounds like a dream job! You're right though I should work on my image
modelbusiness82 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote modelbusiness82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 2:46pm

What kind of music are you trying to do? Sorry I didn't read all 9 pages.

I would say you're fine...unless you're going for the Bieber/Mindless Behavior demo...

I want to be an entertainer, I am not necessarily going for having the best vocals. I've been dancing since 13 and I think I'm pretty good. My voice is decent but I have a little way to go.

It's good that you're honest. But you need to be more than decent to do well in this industry. It's not about being the best dancer or singer, but having the passion for it. Whether you're infront of the screen or behind the scenes like me, if you don't have the drive, you won't make it.

IMO, figure out what genre you want to be in. Because not all genres get the same love from labels...but some can mean more money in the long run (i.e. dance/house - true house not just David Geutta style - can give you more money & more performance opportunities overall vs being a traditional r&b/pop artist) or give you more staying power.

Until you lock down the style you're going for, you're chasing rainbows with this.
CLCNY20 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLCNY20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 2:47pm
Honestly, it all depends on the type of music you're trying to do, and what age group you're trying to appeal to (sometimes).
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 16>
  Share Topic