Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
California Lace Wigs and Weaves
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedHow often do you go to the salon?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
BrookeRenee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: How often do you go to the salon?
    Posted: Mar 06 2012 at 11:39am
Just curious how often you go to the hair salon, if at all. Do you find more frequent visits help you with growth? Or do you get the same results with healthy hair & growth by doing your own hair at home? I actually go the salon once a week. I suck at doing my own hair, it's long so the washing and styling is just difficult for me to manage. I've never had the gift of being able to really do my own. And I find that my new stylist, whom I've been going to for about two years, really has made my hair flourish. He's excellent with it and keeps it not only looking good, but he's gotten it a lot healthier.
Sponsored Links

Lite Brite View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2012 at 5:38pm
Never. I never got into the habit of doing it because I can only remember ever going before the age of 18 ONE time. Cry I rarely ever got my hair cut, and if I did as a young child my mama's friend used to cut it.. and then I barely ever got it cut after age 8, or my mother trimmed my ends

So as an adult, I rarely go. Maybe once a year for a trim.. But I often hear when people say their hair was so healthy growing up going to the salon, then they got to college and started going bald and had horrible breakage when they tried to do it themselves. But these people usually try to wash hair, blow dry, flat iron with no product at all.. and they say that's how the salon does it Stern Smile

I do like some protein treatment they did at a salon I went to.. maybe I will start going back for that

When you say you go once a week OP, do you get it flat ironed each time?
femmemuscleisback View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2012 at 6:03pm
i stopped going.. 2007. i learned so much more on the hair boards.

I thought i used to sound so "cool" when i would be around other people and say (with the flip of my jacked up weave),  "I have a hair appt.".  Usually, i got the direct look at my hair line, and a smirk from recipients, thereof.  And i actually thought they were "envious"..Confused

The more i researched and read, the more i realized not ONE of the beauticians that i was going to had a clue as to how to grow our hair.

There were even a few that would come up here on the boards and try to tell us how to grow our hair. 

Well, that's like bringing sand to the beach.  It's fine if you're too lazy to read/research yourself.

They don't last long or they basically get ignored by the vets.LOL

Edited by femmemuscleisback - Mar 06 2012 at 6:06pm
femmemuscleisback View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2012 at 6:08pm
Another thing i got tired of? being preached to. Several of my ex-beauticians were hypocrites. But there they were standing over my head, bigger than a house boat, preaching about gluttony, or coming in hungover from the club, laughing about how they barely made it to choir practice, etc. Confused

There's one that still comes to mind: She works in Las Vegas, Her name is Stormy.  She preached while she did my hair - but she swindled several clients (including myself) out of thousands of dollars.

any one interested in beating her up?  let me know.

pay pal is a beautiful thing.  if you don't do a good enough job? i can dispute my f&*&*cking claim.

laddie View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2012 at 6:14pm
Never anymore. I used to never go. My mom always did my hair.
Then at 19-ish, I went to a beautician for goddess braids. I liked her. So, I went back a few times. Each time, telling her that my ends needed clipping. She ignored me and told me they looked fine. I listened. Then months later, she told me I had a lot of splits and she cut off inches. 

And then there's the Dominicans. I went to several Dominican salons. I liked their low prices and the walk-in policy. Everything was cool until they put a relaxer all over my already-relaxed hair. -__-
laddie View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2012 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by femmemuscleisback femmemuscleisback wrote:

i stopped going.. 2007. i learned so much more on the hair boards.

I thought i used to sound so "cool" when i would be around other people and say (with the flip of my jacked up weave),  "I have a hair appt.".  Usually, i got the direct look at my hair line, and a smirk from recipients, thereof.  And i actually thought they were "envious"..Confused

The more i researched and read, the more i realized not ONE of the beauticians that i was going to had a clue as to how to grow our hair.

There were even a few that would come up here on the boards and try to tell us how to grow our hair. 

Well, that's like bringing sand to the beach.  It's fine if you're too lazy to read/research yourself.

They don't last long or they basically get ignored by the vets.LOL

Omg! I literally LOL'd.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2012 at 6:30pm
@ light brite, sometimes I get it flat ironed, sometimes I just get it washed and we'll scrunch my hair up and I'll sit under the dryer to dry. Usually I use that style for the warmer months when I want a style that doesn't make me so hot. But I do agree with you all, some stylist are either A unprofessional or B, they really don't make healthy hair a priority. I know so many stylist who can style the hell out of some hair, but they don't know the first thing about keeping the hair healthy or helping it grow. Im thankful that my beautician (he's a guy) makes health number 1. Almost all of his clients (most of them I've seen atleast a few times coming or going) have a head full of hair. There's a few ladies who prefer shorter cuts, but most of his clients come to him specifically to grow their hair out. And he definitely delivers,

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2012 at 6:35pm
I do wish I had the gift of doing my own hair and making it healthy on my own. For nothing else, it would save me tons of money lol. But for awhile in college (as someone above mentioned) I was having other people do my hair at their home/my home and my hair definitely suffered.
SimplyME. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2012 at 8:46pm
I never go to the salon. I am a DIY-er. However, after I reach my final, FINAL goal, I think I will get it professionally trimmed. For now, I do everything myself.
LetMeFixMyHurr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2012 at 10:39pm
I go everyday! Lol.. I'm in school for hair, but I think the thing that's gonna set me apart is that I've been a member of this board since 07 so I got some pretty good habits that I want to pass along to my guest...

I want all black women to have long hair just because people think we can't...
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic