Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > The Archives > Talk Archives
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - how long to wait after a relaxer to apply weave
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Forum Lockedhow long to wait after a relaxer to apply weave

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
collcoll View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: how long to wait after a relaxer to apply weave
    Posted: Apr 29 2006 at 6:18pm

for those who have in a sew in weave or a full head weave, how long after applying a relaxer would you recommend placing back in a sew in weave. also what is your regime while having in a sew in weave

Sponsored Links

PElegance View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 29 2006 at 8:29pm
Hi, I asked this in a previous thread.  I remember that most said that they get weave the same day as the relaxer without any problems so far.  I do the same.  The only thing with a fresh relaxer is doing braids on straight freshly relaxed hair.  All I do is air dry mine and go to the stylist like that, because my hair is not straight in it's wet or air dried state.   It requires heat for that. 
I only wear straight styles right now and I wash once a week w/ the shower massage or in the shower with Creme of Nature shampoo.
Conditioner- Creme of Nature
Wrap lotion - Proclaim
Bonnet dryer
Hot comb for blending
Jam shine blending
Proclaim oil sheen
Avoid applying too much product during the week.  I make my ends stringy.

My stylist uses the hot comb also.  One time she got my hair so straight on top you could see my tracks. LOL 
I've only had bss hair so far.  Ordering IH, some remy hair or something real in the next couple of days and I will let you know.
mltrs62 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 29 2006 at 11:14pm
i have relaxer and weave the same time i am at the hair stylist...but she is great and knows what she is doing she can do both, as long as your stylist can weave and relax should be no problem...
collcoll View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2006 at 3:17pm
really ladies you can do a full head relax and still sew in on the same day without damaging the hair. won't your hair be too weak. i believe this is the reason why my hair was damage sfter taking out my weave the last time. however, it can also be due to the fact that i only wash it once. how often do you ladies wash with having in a sew in weave .
Moria View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2006 at 3:34pm
I believe you should wait 2 weeks, most stylist I go to recommend that, but i think it depends on the health of your hair.
ariana79 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2006 at 4:35pm
I've gotten a relaxer and sew-in at the same time and didn't have any problems...but I dont think I would do it again.

Like Moria said, I think you should wait two weeks...let your scalp breath before you put back the sew-in.
lacie24 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2006 at 8:20pm

I like to wait at least five weeks after I get a relaxer before I get my sew in put in. I like to have new growth because my hair is really fine. I guess it depends on what you are comfortable with.SmileSmile

DivaVocals View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2006 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by collcoll collcoll wrote:

really ladies you can do a full head relax and still sew in on the same day without damaging the hair. won't your hair be too weak. i believe this is the reason why my hair was damage sfter taking out my weave the last time. however, it can also be due to the fact that i only wash it once. how often do you ladies wash with having in a sew in weave .
Yes.. BUT your hair has to be in good condition.. But if you are having issues, this is where a good stylist comes in.. If your hair is healthy, and the relaxer was applied properly, then there should be no issue.. As for washing your weave.. IMO, this is the BIGGEST myth still floating out there about wevae care.. WASH YOUR HAIR, weave or not.. Your hair and scalp need moisture to stay healthy under your weave.. This means you need to wash your weave. If you are using quality hair, the weaving hair also needs moisture and care to kee your weave looking good.

I go see my stylist once every two weeks to have my hair washed, conditioned and styled. In between visits to my stylist, I wash and condition my hair at home. I wear my weave for 12 weeks, takedown, relax and weave on the same day, and my hair is growing very nicely..

IMO, the key to weave care is to remember your own hair is under there.. You still need to take care of it.. Wash, & moisturize your hair, as well as the weave hair, and never wear any weave longer than 12 weeks. If your stylist isn't removing your weave for you, use care when you remove the weave so that you don't cut your own hair when taking it out.. Get someone to help you for those areas you can't see.

Use this forum as a resouce.. The ladies here are QUEENS when it comes to weaves.. You'll be fine..Wink
divasm View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2006 at 9:30pm

Needless to say I NEVER where my ownhair out so whenever I relax im basically relaxing and weaving in  the same day.  The only thing is I dont normally relax the hair thats being braided up...i normally only relax the front thats being left out and the edges

DivaVocals View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2006 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by divasm divasm wrote:

Needless to say I NEVER where my ownhair out so whenever I relax im basically relaxing and weaving in  the same day.  The only thing is I dont normally relax the hair thats being braided up...i normally only relax the front thats being left out and the edges

True.. Now I am only having the blending areas relaxed.. My previous stylist used to relax all my hair.. Either way, my hair was healthy and I had no issues.

Edited by DivaVocals - Apr 30 2006 at 10:10pm
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic