Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How long is too long to be engaged?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 16>

Author
goodm3 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goodm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 11:42am
Originally posted by uppitynegroid uppitynegroid wrote:

Decorum really alludes many young people nowadays.  I think what I've gotten from this thread is that some people see a marriage proposal as a romantic gesture.  That's just not the case.  Its not a "I would like to marry you some day."  A proposal is a big deal.  Its a formal declaration of  your intent to marry in the immediate future.  If both people are not ready for that, then they should stick to more informal gestures like romantic gifts. 

EXACTLY. 

i seems a lot of women only want to be called wifey rather than having a marriage license. 

Sponsored Links

mizzsandra00 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mizzsandra00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 11:42am
Ive been engaged for 2 years.....tbh......wedding planning is stressful and i wanna elope.....I feel like Im not really in a rush.....I have more important things going on.....tbh...a wedding isn't the tope of my list at the moment......but I haven't stop planning.....because the date is set in stone.
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 11:45am
Engagement is an intent to marry.
You're seriously making up the immediate future part bc engagements used to be very lengthy.

mizzsandra00 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote mizzsandra00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 11:46am
Originally posted by goodm3 goodm3 wrote:

Decorum really alludes many young people nowadays.  I think what I've gotten from this thread is that some people see a marriage proposal as a romantic gesture.  That's just not the case.  Its not a "I would like to marry you some day."  A proposal is a big deal.  Its a formal declaration of  your intent to marry in the immediate future.  If both people are not ready for that, then they should stick to more informal gestures like romantic gifts. 

EXACTLY. 

i seems a lot of women only want to be called wifey rather than having a marriage license. 

When people actually get the proposal they really understand it.......until then its a case of if it was me but it aint you and daydreaming is easy

No shade......
uppitynegroid View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote uppitynegroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 11:47am
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

so people shouldn't get engaged until they have saved up enough for their wedding (whatever it cost)?

Don't make an announcement about doing something you are not prepared to do.  If you can't afford the ring, or your contribution to the event within a year then you shouldn't be proposing to anyone.  Like I said, proposal is not a gesture, its an announcement that you are mentally, emotionally, and financially ready to make a marriage happen within a short period of time. 
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 11:48am
Especially for arranged marriages
Those things could span years
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote uppitynegroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 11:49am
Originally posted by goodm3 goodm3 wrote:

I was listening to a discussion about this on the radio the other day.  A woman called in and said she dated a man for 3 yrs, he proposed and they have been living together and engaged for over 2 years.  Every time she brings up wedding planning he becomes elusive and difficult.  Her question was, "How long is too long to be engaged?"

I think she was asking that question a 2 years too late.  I seriously weep for my generation!  The entire point of becoming engaged is to formally announce and plan a wedding.  For the life of me, I don't understand how a woman winds up being someone's fiance for years. 

Thoughts?

I know women who are 30+ and NEVERRRRR been on a real date with a guy. 

that is sad. 

This is a couple of my friends.  Then when I tell them about a guy I'm dating they say, "you always get the good ones."  Confused  Its called having standards, smh.  I meet losers all the time, I just don't give them a chance.
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 11:50am
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

An engagement is a promise of marriage and the preparation time.
It's saying you're the one so let's prepare for our lifetime together.

I don't think an engagement should last forever but I don't think there is a precise time limit either

Whatever the ppl involved feel..
I'm going to go with this.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote uppitynegroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 11:52am
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

Engagement is an intent to marry.
You're seriously making up the immediate future part bc engagements used to be very lengthy.

I'm not making up anything.  At the end of the day, people are speaking on their perspective.  In my culture engagement of over a year is impossible.  Your family, his, and everyone who knows you would just assume the wedding isn't going to happen.  I've never had a family member or friend engaged for longer than 1 yr aside from one person who had to postpone their plans due to a death in the family.  Its unheard of.

My culture aside, for most of U.S. history, the etiquette has been to marry within a year.  Even now, many people marry within that time frame, so I don't see what's "made up" about that.
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 11:52am
That whole year and a day thing started with the Wiccans .
The Chinese typically were 2 years and Catholics about 6 months.

For those in arranged marriages like in India.
You could be engaged for years until you were a certain age then you would meet and marry and go through the ceremony.

Preparation of the dowry wasn't always quick and fast.

Edited by jonesable - Jun 19 2014 at 11:54am
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair