Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Relaxers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedHow do you know what relaxer strength to use?

Post Reply Post Reply
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
reeniebabie1289 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do you know what relaxer strength to use?
    Posted: Jun 30 2011 at 12:08pm
Well?

I was wondering because I've been using super / extra strength relaxers for a while, and always got smooth hair. When i was using ORS no lye, sometimes i would get regular and still get smooth hair (my mom relaxes my hair). She makes sure to smooth the hair very good. I switched to ORS lye, in extra strength. I kind of want to try ORS lye in normal my next relaxer, but I'm nervous that I might end up under-processed. That and i was wondering how to have more body when i relax. I usually dislike my hair the first two weeks after i relax. I wouldn't mind a little more texture, but i don't want to be completely under-processed. 

Thanks!

Edited by reeniebabie1289 - Jun 30 2011 at 12:26pm
Sponsored Links

moonglow_diva View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2011 at 5:19pm
I normally use a regular strength relaxer. I have very course negro hair from deep in the jungles of Africa LOL. Regular strength will not get me bone straight but it will loosen the curl enough. I don't feel that you should use a super strength relaxer a regular strength should be sufficient.  A good rule of thumb is to consider your hair texure and go from there. No one in the world need to use a super lye perm ever. If you have fine textured hair use mild if it is course then use regular. Super is not needed usless you are relaxing steel wool Dead. I hope you find the right strength so that your hair doesn't become overprocessed.
reeniebabie1289 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2011 at 10:15pm
Thanks!
I think for my next relaxer i will use the normal strength ORS lye and see how it comes out. my mom usually smooths it well so hopefully it won't be bad. the more i think about it, the more a super lye relaxer does sound too strong. I dont relax until the end of august, but hopefully it goes well. i might just finish my jar of super though
StarOnThaRise78 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2011 at 12:19pm
The strength of the relaxer that you use should be determined by the texture, porosity, and density of your hair. Porosity(ability to retain water). If you have fine hair its best to use regular or mild. Medium hair regular or medium strength relaxers. Coarse or thick hair super. You are not to let you hair get bone staright anyways. If you do it will probably be overprocessed. You can tell this because you hair will be very dry and maybe a different color front roots. Never remove all of natural curl from hair. You are never to process 100 percent. Its best to allow a professional to apply chemicals unless you absolutely know what you are doing.
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic