FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

How do you dilute your tea tree oil?

Post Reply Post Reply

Author
SweetNovember* View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do you dilute your tea tree oil?
    Posted: Jan 10 2013 at 1:52pm
I read it's good for scalp issues. Is it a leave in treatment or part of deep condish that must be washed out? How do you use it on other areas of the body? TIA.
Sponsored Links

modelbusiness82 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote modelbusiness82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 1:26am
Tea tree oil smells like pine sol to me lol...so I rarely use it solo or without another oil that masks it well. I do use TT in my moisturing water/aloe spritz. But you really don't need a lot of it bc the smell is very strong. I might use 5 or 6 drops of it in addition to other oils.

But if you wanted to use it for a scalp massage, you could mix it with a carrier oil like castor, avacado, coconut, almond, etc. Just don't use it alone as pure TT essential oil can cause burns if applied to skin without something to dilute it.
moonglow_diva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moonglow_diva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 7:25pm
I have tea tree essential oil. I guess it would depend on how you are using. Here is some basic information about tea tree oil.

Botanical Name: Melaleuca alternifolia
Common Method Of Extraction: Steam distilled
Parts Used: Leaves and twigs
Note Classification: Middle
Aroma: Warm, Fresh, spicy-camphoraceous
Largest Producing Countries: Australia and Kenya

Traditional Use: Widely known for its healing properties for the skin. Tea tree oil is used for anything from bug bites to sunburns.

Properties: Analgesic, antibacterial, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, antiparasitic, antiseptic, antiviral, decongestant, deodorant, diaphoretic, expectorant, fungicidal, immune stimulant, insecticide, vulnerary

Benefits: Abscess, acne, asthma, blisters, bronchitis, burns, candida, catarrh, chicken pox, cold sores, colds, coughs, cystitis, dandruff, ear and nose infections, fever, flu, fungal infections, herpes, immune system deficiencies, infectious illnesses, insect bites, oily skin, respiratory problems, sinusitis, skin rashes, sunburn, thrush, tooth and gum infections, vaginal infections, viral infections, warts, whooping cough, wounds. Tea tree makes a great addition to most skin care products. A simple way to use it is adding the oil to aloe vera gel.

Blends Well With: Basil, bergamot, black pepper, chamomile german, clary sage, clove, cypress, eucalyptus, geranium, juniper, lavender, lemon, marjoram, nutmeg, oakmoss, oregano, peppermint, pine, ravensara, rosemary, thyme, ylang ylang

Of Interest: In World War ll cutters and producers of tea tree were exempt from military service until enough essential oil had been accumulated. It was issued to each soldier and sailor for them to treat tropical infections and other problems of warfare, including wounds.

Safety Data: May cause skin irritation. Not for internal use.

Because it is an essential oil do not use it "neat" or right out of the bottle without diluting it because essential oils are like prescription drugs. They are very potent. If you want to use it on your scalp mix it with a carrier oil like sweet almond, apricot, jojoba, etc.  The ratio for EO to CO is for ever 1/2 oz of carrier mix with 9 drops of essential oil. For example, if you have a 4oz bottle of jojoba oil  and wanted to mix tea tree with it. You would need about 72 drops of the tea tree.

I hope this information help you.

Grace & Blessings,

~ Moonglow

MsBaucee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsBaucee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 8:07pm
I don't dilute it.
I use it on my scalp at night when I need to.

(seborrheic dermatitis issues)
Heavy Rotation View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy Rotation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 12:53am
i use tea tree oil on my face, in place of benzoyl peroxide (the deep cleaner) b/c i am using noncommercial products more and more for hair and skin care.

i use one drop for my entire face after moisturizing with avocado oil.  i only use it at night b/c it smells horrible! i refuse to leave the house smelling like a herbal medicine cabinet. lol
Kocoa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kocoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 1:08am
I usually have tea tree oil in my scalp mix (a few drops diluted in sweet almond oil or jojoba). I find it's pretty good for keeping away dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis for me. I don't have to use shampoo or use nizoral as regularly now.
SweetNovember* View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 8:52am
I made a 6.25% solution in castor oil (1/2 ounce in a 4 ounce bottle) which is still pretty strong. Next time I will probably use a lighter carrier oil but this will do for now. I'll let you know if it helps with the dry areas.
modelbusiness82 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modelbusiness82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 11:35am
If castor oil doesn't cure your dryness, consider henna. I used to have serious dandruff issues, but I started doing henna treatments (with BAQ henna) and it cured it. 
Newhair99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newhair99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 1:59pm
I've seen some of your posts and wanted to ask you about going natural..once I take my breads out I wanted to start doing more natural hairstyles and mainly just getting my hair healthy again. So for starters I wanted advice as to where to start. Everything I look up is different but I wanted an opinion form someone who knows natural hair. As far as a routine what i've learned is you need to moisturize.
So this is what my daily routine would be..just want feedback on what i'm doing wrong or what to add to it:
-every saturday I'll wash my hair with shampoo and conditioner then deep condition
    -every other saturday i'll do a hot oil treatment intstead of deep condition after I do my normal wash
Monday-friday i'll do a braid out and just style naturally
  -As far as using a sealant i've decided to use shea butter,olive oil,water,and coconut oil. So I would use that after I wash my hair and put my leave in conditioner then style. Question! During the week when im doing my braid outs or going to sleep and braiding my hair up I wanted to know what to put on dry hair to keep it moisturized? Preferably a homemade concoction.

But what do you thnk about the rountine so far? anything I should do different

KikiScorpio92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KikiScorpio92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2013 at 8:51am
Well generally I used tea tree oil exclusively for my spots on face but I instead brought a big bottle to save on costs. I usually mix it with peppermint oil and aloe vera juice, I don't really measure. Apply it every night to my scalp through a applicator bottle with a concentrator nozzle and baggy that bugger. Scalp smells fresh and leaves lovely tingles on my scalp :)

ETA: I don't have any known scalp issues I just love oils and tea tree has been a staple in my household since I was a child. Hope you issues are resolved soon :)

Edited by KikiScorpio92 - Jan 21 2013 at 8:54am
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic