Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

How do we feel about the SNL slave joke?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
stardaqueenb23 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stardaqueenb23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do we feel about the SNL slave joke?
    Posted: May 05 2014 at 6:41pm
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/05/05/leslie-jones-of-snl-defends-her-jokes-about-forced-breeding-during-slavery/

Leslie Jones of ‘SNL’ defends her jokes about forced breeding during slavery

By Soraya Nadia McDonald     
    May 5 at 3:04 am

Unless you watched the entire broadcast, it was easy to miss the controversy over “Saturday Night Live” writer Leslie Jones’s bit on “Weekend Update” this past weekend. The first trickling of commentary about this week’s episode was all about the comic brilliance of the “Beygency” sketch, but Twitter soon found its way to Jones.

In her first on-camera appearance on the show, Jones congratulated Lupita Nyong’o on winning People magazine’s “Most Beautiful Person” award, then argued for a “most useful” category for herself, asserting to “Weekend Update” host Colin Jost that she would be his pick if he were approached by three Crips in a dark parking lot. “The way we view black beauty has changed,” Jones said. “See, I’m single right now, but back in the slave days, I would have never been single. I’m six feet tall and I’m strong, Colin. Strong! I mean, look at me, I’m a mandingo … I’m just saying that back in the slave days, my love life would have been way better. Massah would have hooked me up with the best brotha on the plantation … I would be the No. 1 slave draft pick.”

After a joke about announcing which plantation she would choose, likening the decision to the NBA draft, Jones said, “Now, I can’t even get a brotha to take me out for a cheap dinner. I mean, damn. Can a b—– get a beef bowl?”
Michael Fassbender as "Edwin Epps", Lupita Nyong'o as "Patsey" & Chiwetel Ejiofor as "Solomon Northup" in Steve McQueens's 12 YEARS A SLAVE.

Michael Fassbender as Edwin Epps, Lupita Nyong’o as Patsey and Chiwetel Ejiofor as Solomon Northup in Steve McQueen’s “12 Years a Slave.”

Jones actually referred to herself as a mandingo, a term that already has a reputation as a lexical landmine when used to describe black men, but takes on a particularly pejorative distinction because black women have struggled to assert and define not just their humanity, but their femininity. Think of Patsey, Nyong’o's character from “12 Years a Slave,” whom Master Edwin Epps heaps with praise because she consistently outperforms her male counterparts — often by more than 100 percent — harvesting cotton.

Jones isn’t the first black comedian to make a joke about slavery, particularly about the inhumane system of forced breeding that treated people like livestock. The most famous example is this clip from Chris Rock’s “Never Scared,” which turns 10 years old this year:

“During slavery, they used to take the biggest, strongest slaves and breed them, and try their best to make big strong super slaves,” Rock said. “Okay? That’s right. That’s right. And there’s evidence of that today, like the NFL, for instance. NFL stands for ‘N—- F—— Large.’ They bred the slaves — and this is why black people dominate every physical activity in the United States of America, okay. We’re only 10 percent of the population. We’re 90 percent of the Final Four, okay? We f—— dominate … basketball, baseball, football, boxing, track, even golf and tennis. And as soon as they make a heated hockey rink, we gon’ take that s—, too.”

Sunday, Jones gave an impassioned response to critics in 16 tweets, attributing the negative response to sexism.

“If anybody should be offended is white folks cause it’s what they did,” Jones tweeted. “Y’all so busy trying to be self righteous you miss what the joke really is. Very sad I have to defend myself to black people. Now I’m betting if Chris Rock or Dave [Chappelle] did that joke or jay z or Kanye put in a rap they would be called brilliant. Cause they all do this type of material. Just cause it came from a strong black woman who ain’t afraid to be real y’all mad. So here is my announcement black folks, you won’t stop me and Im gonna go even harder and deeper now. Cause it’s a shame that we kill each other instead of support each other. This exactly why black people are where we are now cause we too f—— sensitive and instead of make lemonade out of lemons we just suck the sour juice from the lemons. Wake up.”

So what’s the difference between Rock’s commentary, which was well-received and critically praised — Washington Post critic Tom Shales called it “thinking man’s raunch” and a “furious tour de force” — and Jones’s?

Rock’s monologue was served with a heaping mound of condemnation for slavery; he put his jokes in a larger context, arguing the merits of affirmative action. Jones’s bit, however, seemed to diminish the importance of a dark-skinned black woman such as Nyong’o being named “most beautiful” — Nyong’o has spoken publicly about her struggle to see herself as beautiful because of her dark skin — while also depicting forced breeding as consensual or enjoyable.

“Where is the rape idiots,” Jones tweeted. “I said nothing about rape you f—— morons. I was talking about being match to another strong brother.” She continued: “Not being raped by white man. What part of this joke wasn’t true? I would have been used for breeding straight up. And that’s my reality.”
Sponsored Links

SoutherNtellect View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote SoutherNtellect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 6:49pm
haven't watched.
won't watch.
but i was put off by her twitter responses to the outcry 
blaquefoxx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blaquefoxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 6:55pm

I bet the Serpent wrote this "joke" for Eve.

liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 7:00pm
smh
naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by SoutherNtellect SoutherNtellect wrote:

haven't watched.
won't watch.
but i was put off by her twitter responses to the outcry 
me 2

No more outrage over non-sense I don't know any Black people who watch SNL anyway
She will dig her own grave!!
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 7:03pm
Black people can laugh at slavery jokes but it's how it's done

You can't really tell a slavery joke without being offensive but if it's not funny expect the blow back
Dave Chappelle never had to worry about that because he's actually funny
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 7:03pm
In a club everybody would be cracking up about this skit.  Did this "outcry" come from the new blacks?  They don't like for us to say "black" sh*t in public. 

Edited by kfoxx1998 - May 05 2014 at 7:04pm
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 7:05pm
1000 points for making yt people feel uncomfortable as fck on national TV Clap
Marcelo22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcelo22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 7:05pm
Comedy should be a no holds barred craft. 

I was just watching the sketch with my grandmother and her friend and they both laughed.
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 7:10pm
I just happened to see that little piece of SNL and it did give me a feeling, not a good one. I don't watch the show and didn't know if I was just out of touch. Probably.

eta: I only saw just that little piece, I didn't see what came before so I don't know context.   I turned it off at that point
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>