Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Afros
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How can a white guy (like myself) get an Afro ...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedHow can a white guy (like myself) get an Afro ...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
idoesit View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: How can a white guy (like myself) get an Afro ...
    Posted: Jun 28 2010 at 1:44pm

I was wondering if a white guy (like myself) can actually have an Afro? if so.. HOW!? and how would it look like? how long would my hair have to be?? and how would I be able to maintain it? (because I want a permanent Afro, not something temporary that would only last a few days)

This is kinda what I'm aiming for (not necessarily):
http://www.last.fm/music/LMFAO/+images/6564483
(guy on the right, obviously lol)

If anybody knows what I'm talking about and actually thinks it could be possible, leave me a message here, I can also post a picture of myself for you guys to see if its possible at all.. (my hair is a bit curly and very thick)

---------------

Also, I've read a lot about getting a perm but I know I need more than that for an Afro and I wouldn't mind some useful tips!

and any other info that you think might be important, please feel free to post it!
Thanks in advance!!!
Sponsored Links

katakana89 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2010 at 10:29am
It doesn't matter if you're African, Caucasian, Korean, or Mexican; if your hair is fine you will never achieve an afro. All afros are: people with such tight curls in their hair that the hair can stand on it's own from the curl pattern. The looser the curl, the more able it is to weigh itself down.

For instance, despite my heritage I have very small, tight coils throughout my head, creating an afro (as I have natural, non-chemically altered hair). I'm assuming because you stated that you are "white" that your hair is very fine/straight? If it is, I'm not sure if you will ever be able to pull off the afro.

I'm not sure about perms. I've never had one and have no knowledge of it.

And the guy in the picture may have been born with that curly hair, could be wearing a wig, or chemically altered his hair to curl in such a way.

Good luck~ hope this helped~
katakana89 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2010 at 10:32am
Actually, now that I look at that picture again, he might be mixed with ancestry that can make his hair curly. He looks exactly like my ex who has a Jamaican mother and Irish father. His hair curls to an afro just like that guy's hair. Just a thought.
intl_babygirl View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2010 at 9:40pm
you can always get a perm
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2010 at 9:42pm
how curly is your natural hair? is it more like waves?
rissa86 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2010 at 3:51am
I don't think it's going to happen. It's a combo of our hair texure and curl pattern. I've seen some awesome jew fro's in my time though . . . Maybe if you cut is short and got a curly perm it would be close. Kind of like Fred Savages hair.
ejfel View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2010 at 12:45am

It's be interesting to see the result of a perm on a caucasion male. It might give you a fro, as pictures I've seen of white women from the 80's with perms are always big puffy hair. Good luck

juniordetective View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2010 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by katakana89 katakana89 wrote:

It doesn't matter if you're African, Caucasian, Korean, or Mexican; if your hair is fine you will never achieve an afro. All afros are: people with such tight curls in their hair that the hair can stand on it's own from the curl pattern. The looser the curl, the more able it is to weigh itself down.

For instance, despite my heritage I have very small, tight coils throughout my head, creating an afro (as I have natural, non-chemically altered hair). I'm assuming because you stated that you are "white" that your hair is very fine/straight? If it is, I'm not sure if you will ever be able to pull off the afro.

I'm not sure about perms. I've never had one and have no knowledge of it.

And the guy in the picture may have been born with that curly hair, could be wearing a wig, or chemically altered his hair to curl in such a way.

Good luck~ hope this helped~

WRONG. Fine haired people can have an afro. Fine hair is just the thickness of the strand. An afro depends on the size of the curl. The smaller the curl the more likely you'll have an afro. I have fine hair but tight curls, therefore I have an afro. Just because your hair is straight or loosely curled doesn't mean your hair is "fine". Actually 4a/4b people are more likely to have fine hair. Not saying that they all do, but its more likely. That's why I had breakage in the back of my head at the nape when I was relaxed, because the hair there is fine. Even more fine than the rest of my hair.
AllyOrNotAlly View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2010 at 10:35pm
D:< I have fine hair and an amazing afro!
Lady Gem View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2010 at 2:44pm
Not gonna happen. 
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic