Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

House Votes to Cut Food Stamps by 4 Billion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 13>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 3.40  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
petiteone29 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote petiteone29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2013 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by Az~Maverick Az~Maverick wrote:

And what supposed to come out of the money from these cuts? Build more prisons? Smh Sleepy

right!!yall think they are going to actually put that money towards something that benefits us? we wont see a dime of that. no schools will be built, no jobs, no nothing. id rather my tax money provide someone struggling with a little small luxury like rocky road ice cream than go to some republican's caviar.
Sponsored Links

HaitianDiva64 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HaitianDiva64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2013 at 4:23pm
But I think maysay os saying a lot of ppl are seeing it as luxuries that tocky road ice cream becomes somebody's meal
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2013 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by petiteone29 petiteone29 wrote:

ok I get what you are saying. I just think that trying to control what people eat isnt fair. It would be ideal if people spent the stamps wisely though. I see people misusing their TANF benefits all the time. Buying weave at the beauty supply store, cigs,beer, club outfits at rainbow etc instead of buying pampers and paying their rent. To me that is more of a concern. Atleast the person buying some steak and ice cream with their stamps is eating which is what stamps are meant for. 

You know what actually isn't fair? Children, the disabled and the elderly going hungry because of other people's selfishness.

If for whatever reason a person ends up needing to be fed by the community, they should be thankful that the world is actually fair enough to provide them with nourishment. I can't get behind spending $10 on some ice cream and cake when that same $10 dollars can buy a sack of rice and a sack of beans that will provide 10+ meals instead.
petiteone29 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote petiteone29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2013 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by HaitianDiva64 HaitianDiva64 wrote:

But I think maysay os saying a lot of ppl are seeing it as luxuries that tocky road ice cream becomes somebody's meal

I understand that totally but at the end of the day we cannot and should not control what someone is eating. Not everyone is feeling their carts with "luxuries". Yet everyone will be treated like irresponsible children just because they need a little help.
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2013 at 4:39pm
Just to be clear, I'm not assigning value judgments to people's choices (like irresponsible or bad or whatever). I just look at my own experience with my own budget and how I have CONSTANTLY deny myself simple ish because it's not a necessity.

All I'm saying is, we don't have unlimited money. We need to cut somewhere. Let's feed as many people as we possibly can in a dignified, humane, and respectful manner. We do that with WIC, we do that in prisons, we do that in schools, we can do it in the SNAP program.

Seemingly "down" liberal activists will try to disguise the issue by saying "it's not fair to control what poor people eat" or "everyone needs luxuries to stay sane". But guess who benefits from SNAP money being used on non-essential foodstuffs? Pepsico, Yumco, Kraft, and all the food companies who then line the pockets of the politicians (on the left and right).

So instead of poor people recognizing and choosing a path that is financially and physically healthier for them, they are convinced to maintain their relationships with these companies under the illusion of having "a choice". Even though that choice is contributing to the financial and physical and emotional breakdown of their community.
BBpants View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BBpants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2013 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by kfoxx1998 kfoxx1998 wrote:

Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

I get your point. Was just curious which foods/snacks counted as "extra".

I guess my main rub is the system of punishing the poor for national debt, and the implication that poor people's behavior should controlled to the point of eliminating pleasure,  i.e a kid getting some apple juice/chocolate milk at snack time, or an elderly woman on a fixed income buying some butter peacan ice cream every once in awhile.

Restricting cheap koolaid packages or dessert doesn't necessarily translate to another meal for the people that aren't necessarily health conscious to begin with. I can understand the comparison to WIC to an extent, but think there are enough differences (food budget for a baby vs food budget for an entire family, ranging from child to senior) that separate the two issues.

I just don't think food programs is where budget issues start. Just seems like more tacked on war on the poor initiatives.

Fair points all around though.

Ima just go on and say it sounds Orwellian.   I'm no more ready to have republicans dictate food choices than I am vaginas.  This idea is literally dangerous in the hands of the wrong people.  Treating niccas like children again.  Like they decided what to feed the slaves and the slaves had to make a meal out of it, hence chittlins and the like.

The tiny bit of taxpayer dollars that are spent on kool-aid and sugar (a very, very cheap drink mind you) is minuscule in comparison to corporate welfare.  This whole thing is completely ridiculous. 

Thanked!!
NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2013 at 12:55am
Originally posted by QueenBee QueenBee wrote:

Originally posted by AwesomeAries AwesomeAries wrote:

I hope this doesn't affect seniors

Sad...my mom's elderly neighbor (grandma's friend "Ms. Jean"  gets $88 each month.  It was recently reduced to $76.  My mom ends up sending her plates by my grannie after she cooks.  My mom was clowning "Ms. Jean" granddaughter has 5 kids.  On SNAP/WIC benefits and has NEVER bought her grandmother groceries.  Really,  you can't make your grandmother $100 worth of groceries. 

Damn?  She only gets that much? Wow...This puts things into perspective.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2013 at 1:05am
Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

Meh, cutting $4 billion doesn't bother me. We could increase the $ available for recipients without increasing the budget if we made some items ineligible for purchase (like juice/soda/non-water drinks and prepared/packaged desserts).

I've heard this argument before but have never understood it. Maybe you can explain it to me better. Why should juice or sugary snacks be ineligible for purchase?

Those items are nutritionally void.  True they keep well but they are doing damage to the body, essentially creating a costly medical bill in the future.
Lady ICE View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady ICE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2013 at 1:09am
Originally posted by Naturalchick30 Naturalchick30 wrote:

Plenty of people work while receiving benefits..
yep. ive seen this a lot.so many ppl out here are suffering/complaining. ive run into a few ppl like that a few more who cant work cause of an illness...and heres the sad part..ppl..are getting 16 bucks and less sometimes for the whole month.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2013 at 1:10am
After reading some of the enlightening post made by a couple people, if the House want to cut funding for food stamps, they might as well stop subsidizing corn and stop paying certain farmers not to grow nothing (they still have that program right?).
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 13>
  Share Topic