Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

House Votes to Cut Food Stamps by 4 Billion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 3.40  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
BBpants View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BBpants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2013 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by kfoxx1998 kfoxx1998 wrote:

Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

I get your point. Was just curious which foods/snacks counted as "extra".

I guess my main rub is the system of punishing the poor for national debt, and the implication that poor people's behavior should controlled to the point of eliminating pleasure,  i.e a kid getting some apple juice/chocolate milk at snack time, or an elderly woman on a fixed income buying some butter peacan ice cream every once in awhile.

Restricting cheap koolaid packages or dessert doesn't necessarily translate to another meal for the people that aren't necessarily health conscious to begin with. I can understand the comparison to WIC to an extent, but think there are enough differences (food budget for a baby vs food budget for an entire family, ranging from child to senior) that separate the two issues.

I just don't think food programs is where budget issues start. Just seems like more tacked on war on the poor initiatives.

Fair points all around though.

Ima just go on and say it sounds Orwellian.   I'm no more ready to have republicans dictate food choices than I am vaginas.  This idea is literally dangerous in the hands of the wrong people.  Treating niccas like children again.  Like they decided what to feed the slaves and the slaves had to make a meal out of it, hence chittlins and the like.

The tiny bit of taxpayer dollars that are spent on kool-aid and sugar (a very, very cheap drink mind you) is minuscule in comparison to corporate welfare.  This whole thing is completely ridiculous. 

Thanked!!
Sponsored Links

NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2013 at 12:55am
Originally posted by QueenBee QueenBee wrote:

Originally posted by AwesomeAries AwesomeAries wrote:

I hope this doesn't affect seniors

Sad...my mom's elderly neighbor (grandma's friend "Ms. Jean"  gets $88 each month.  It was recently reduced to $76.  My mom ends up sending her plates by my grannie after she cooks.  My mom was clowning "Ms. Jean" granddaughter has 5 kids.  On SNAP/WIC benefits and has NEVER bought her grandmother groceries.  Really,  you can't make your grandmother $100 worth of groceries. 

Damn?  She only gets that much? Wow...This puts things into perspective.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2013 at 1:05am
Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

Meh, cutting $4 billion doesn't bother me. We could increase the $ available for recipients without increasing the budget if we made some items ineligible for purchase (like juice/soda/non-water drinks and prepared/packaged desserts).

I've heard this argument before but have never understood it. Maybe you can explain it to me better. Why should juice or sugary snacks be ineligible for purchase?

Those items are nutritionally void.  True they keep well but they are doing damage to the body, essentially creating a costly medical bill in the future.
Lady ICE View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady ICE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2013 at 1:09am
Originally posted by Naturalchick30 Naturalchick30 wrote:

Plenty of people work while receiving benefits..
yep. ive seen this a lot.so many ppl out here are suffering/complaining. ive run into a few ppl like that a few more who cant work cause of an illness...and heres the sad part..ppl..are getting 16 bucks and less sometimes for the whole month.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2013 at 1:10am
After reading some of the enlightening post made by a couple people, if the House want to cut funding for food stamps, they might as well stop subsidizing corn and stop paying certain farmers not to grow nothing (they still have that program right?).
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (8) Thanks(8)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2013 at 10:09am
Poverty is a cesspool of fail.  Food choices is the least.  I understand what some of you are trying to say but I disagree with this being regulated by yt ppl in congress.   The majority of poor people are children who don't know and don't care about those companies or the government.   They see other kids with snacks and just want it.  My mother and grandmother would work an extra hour or do somebody's hair, sell handmade items and food dishes etc to be able to provide us with treats once in a while.  I'm not concerned about their parents making a package of oreos and fruit roll-ups last for an entire month of "treats" for their kids. 

I gladly pay my taxes for that but that is NOT where my tax money is going.  That may cost me a penny.  Jethro's corn subsidy on the other hand is probably costing me $50. 

Creating the menu for poor people should be done by them, not those of us who believe we know what is "best".  We can educate and provide nutritional guidelines but I would draw the line at controlling what others eat.  It does not sit well with me at all.  This would be just another way to further marginalize little bodies and will translate as "I am less".  

Asking the most of the least among us is not fair.  If the government can regulate what other humans eat why not just make it illegal across the board to produce foods that provide no nutritional value?  Those companies have a sophisticated system in place and the means to implement more nutritional food products.  Instead we ask a family with poor education and an abysmal support structure to solve the nutritional problems of the poor?  "We're from the government and we're here to help".  From now on you can eat this, but not this.  Those items are only for people who have cash. 

OrriannaRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote OrriannaRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2013 at 10:26am
Originally posted by Az~Maverick Az~Maverick wrote:

And what supposed to come out of the money from these cuts? Build more prisons? Smh Sleepy

Yep! More money to build privately run prisons and not a dime towards education.
Ladybird0724 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ladybird0724 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2013 at 1:47pm
i get what some of you are saying....

i think that  banning those things doesn't necessarily mean that the $$ allocated would be spent on healthier things...esp. in areas that are considered food deserts.

also, i think that if you start classifying certain things as "luxury items" (sweets/ice cream/cake/etc.) then it can be this slippery slope of other things that would be banned too. would you consider organic items banworthy? they could be considered a luxury as well.

it just rubs me the wrong way, wanting to "ban" certain food items. it's very paternalistic.
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2013 at 1:59pm
I really don't care what people buy with SNAP , like I really don't.
I don't care about paying taxes either.
There is always gonna be taxes be it for crab legs and lobster tails or for some assholes private jet or unnecessary TSA bullsh*t.

Let them people eat

They won't do anything worthwhile with the cuts anyway.

Doubt this will make it through

Even with the cuts the program will still cost 700 Bill over the next ten years.
Man gone

Edited by jonesable - Sep 21 2013 at 2:11pm
Senior Detective View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Senior Detective Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2013 at 11:19am
'This is the way I want to live and I don¿t really see anything changing': unemployed beach bum uses food stamps to buy lobster and sushi - and has no plans of getting a job | Mail Online

'It's free food - it's awesome!': Unemployed beach bum uses food stamps to eat like a king on lobster and sushi - and has no plans of getting a job

29-year-old Jason Greenslate is given $200 in food stamps a month despite his not even attempting to find a job

He has no job, surfs and drinks when he wakes up every afternoon and has no intentions of finding employment anytime in the near future - yet, he eats lobster or gourmet sushi everyday.

Of his lifestyle, Greenslate says, 'I don't feel like a bum. I pull hot chicks, drive nice cars, dress nice and wear the most baddest jewelry in the world.'

Beach bum: Greenslate doesn't plan on getting a job - and why would he? He gets free lobster

Dig in: Greenslate and his friends enjoy some taxpayer-funded lobster as they drink beer and play guitars

A California 'beach bum' has no job, surfs and drinks when he wakes up every afternoon and has no intentions of finding employment anytime in the near future - yet, he eats lobster or gourmet sushi everyday.

Jason Greenslate, 29, owes his successful culinary mooching to one thing: food stamps.

Greenslate recently was profiled on Fox News for a special segment about the abuses of the nation's food stamp program. And despite mooching off American taxpayers for a living, Greenslate is remarkably unapologetic, nor does he feel any shame for abusing a system designed to help people who truly are in need.

'This is the way I want to live and I don’t really see anything changing,' Greenslate said in the interview. 'It’s free food; it’s awesome.'

During a later interview with the Huffington Post, Greenslate added that 'I don't feel like a bum. I pull hot chicks, drive nice cars, dress nice and wear the most baddest jewelry in the world.'

During the segment, Greenslate is seen driving expensive cars, drinking beer and grilling lobsters with his friends. Before the cookout, cameras followed Greenslate into a grocery store and watched him purchase the food with his government-issued Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) card.

With the card - which only needs to be renewed once a year - Greenslate is given $200 a month for food. There is no requirement that he even look for employment.

Previously, there were stipulations that food stamp recipients with no family could only receive food stamps for three months every three years unless they had part time employment or were involved in a jobs program. The goal was to help people who couldn't make ends meet, not supplement income so people could surf and drink beer.

Many of those types of restrictions were eliminated when President Barack Obama signed the 2009 stimulus bill, which allows people like Greenslate to abuse the system.

On Thursday, Congress passed a bill that would reduce food stamp spending by five percent. Prior to the vote, Congressional leaders were shown the video featuring Greenslate.

Wisdom: 'I don't feel like a bum. I pull hot chicks, drive nice cars, dress nice and wear the most baddest jewelry in the world.'

'You can no longer sit on your couch or ride a surfboard like Jason in California and expect the federal taxpayer to feed you,' Congressman Tim Huelskamp said following the vote.

Republicans in Congress have used Greenslate as the poster-child for the need for entitlement reform. But Democrats have cast aside that notion, claiming that he doesn't represent the majority of the people who receive assistance.

'I don't give a damn about surfer dude,' Democratic Congressman Jim McGovern said. 'As far as I'm concerned, he can walk off the nearest pier. To suggest that he's the face of SNAP is offensive.'

As for the Congressional vote, Greenslate noted, 'I don't think that one person should be the decision for 47 million people.'

Read more: 'This is the way I want to live and I don¿t really see anything changing': unemployed beach bum uses food stamps to buy lobster and sushi - and has no plans of getting a job | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style