BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

House Votes to Cut Food Stamps by 4 Billion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 3.40  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
blaquefoxx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blaquefoxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: House Votes to Cut Food Stamps by 4 Billion
    Posted: Sep 20 2013 at 9:25am

House votes to cut $4 billion a year from food stamps

A social worker with the Cooperative Feeding Program displays a Federal food stamps card that is used to purchase food, Feb. 10, 2011 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

A social worker with the Cooperative Feeding Program displays a Federal food stamps card that is used to purchase food, Feb. 10, 2011 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. / Joe Raedle/Getty Images

The House has voted to cut nearly $4 billion a year from food stamps, a 5 percent reduction to the nation's main feeding program used by more than 1 in 7 Americans.

The 217-210 vote was a win for conservatives after Democrats united in opposition and some GOP moderates said the cut was too high.

The bill's savings would be achieved by allowing states to put broad new work requirements in place for many food stamp recipients and to test applicants for drugs. The bill also would end government waivers that have allowed able-bodied adults without dependents to receive food stamps indefinitely.

The major cuts were designed to satisfy House conservatives who rejected more moderate reductions to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) earlier this year, but with millions of Americans still struggling to recover from the recession, Democrats balked at the GOP bill.

The bill will likely never see the light of day in the Democratic-led Senate, but even if it somehow made it through the Senate, President Obama has promised to veto the legislation.

"These cuts would affect a broad array of Americans who are struggling to make ends meet, including working families with children, senior citizens, veterans, and adults who are still looking for work," the White House said in a statement on the bill.

The cost of SNAP has more than doubled since 2008, coming to nearly $78 billion last year. In 2007, the percentage of American households that lacked sufficient access to food stood at 11.1 percent, but it increased to 14.6 percent in 2008 as the recession hit. That figure has remained virtually unchanged since then, the U.S. Department of Agriculture reported in September, with 14.5 percent of households that were "food insecure" in 2012.

© 2013 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Sponsored Links

AwesomeAries View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (19) Thanks(19)   Quote AwesomeAries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2013 at 9:32am
Didn't read but the poor always suffer first
America always does this sheit
AwesomeAries View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (8) Thanks(8)   Quote AwesomeAries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2013 at 9:33am
I hope this doesn't affect seniors

Edited by AwesomeAries - Sep 20 2013 at 9:34am
Naturalchick30 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Naturalchick30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2013 at 9:35am
This won't end well...
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (15) Thanks(15)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2013 at 9:41am
Yes, lets cut food stamps when many households are receiving them due to the current employment environment that has employers hiring people for PT work to save $$. Great thinking congress.

And what are single mothers/parents supposed to do with their children while they volunteer in the community in order to keep their food stamps? Childcare is expensive.

Man I wish the poor had fancy lobbyist to lobby for them like big business...
QueenBee View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (11) Thanks(11)   Quote QueenBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2013 at 9:43am
Originally posted by AwesomeAries AwesomeAries wrote:

I hope this doesn't affect seniors

Sad...my mom's elderly neighbor (grandma's friend "Ms. Jean"  gets $88 each month.  It was recently reduced to $76.  My mom ends up sending her plates by my grannie after she cooks.  My mom was clowning "Ms. Jean" granddaughter has 5 kids.  On SNAP/WIC benefits and has NEVER bought her grandmother groceries.  Really,  you can't make your grandmother $100 worth of groceries. 

AshBash89 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AshBash89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2013 at 9:47am
I don't see this bill getting past the Senate. 
TheAwakenGod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote TheAwakenGod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2013 at 10:02am
This is great news, now they can finally go to work and actually "spend" hard earned cash on food.

india100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (11) Thanks(11)   Quote india100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2013 at 10:03am
I can't wait for President obama to use his veto power. I saw the congress lady below video yesterday . Clap Most of the people using stamps or white or non blacks  . I know a Arabic family that owns the local Shell gas station .

Congresswoman Uses Steak, Vodka, And Caviar To Hammer Republicans On Food Stamp Cuts

“They received almost $200 for a single meal only for themselves. Yet, for them the idea of helping fellow Americans spend less than $5 a day makes their skin crawl.” posted on

Andrew Kaczynski BuzzFeed Staff posted
Congresswoman Uses Steak, Vodka, And Cavia...

Democratic Rep. Jackie Speier decided to make an unconventional pitch on the House of Representatives floor Thursday to defend food stamps. Speier used a cooked steak, a bottle of vodka, and a can of caviar to point out members of Congress who had large numbers of Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) recipients in their districts but opposed the program. The congresswoman pointed out many of the same members of Congress took trips around the world with large stipends for food and lodging.

“In my district, California 14, we have about 4,000 families who are on food stamps, but some of my colleagues have thousands and thousands more,” Rep. Speier said. “Yet, they somehow feel like crusaders, like heroes when they vote to cut food stamps. Some of these same members travel to foreign countries under the guise of official business. They dine at lavish restaurants, eating steak, vodka and even caviar. They receive money to do this. That’s right, they don’t pay out of pocket for these meals.”

Speier went on, using particular examples of members of Congress who went on sponsored trips and spent large amounts of money on food and lodging.

“Let me give you a few examples: One member was given $127.41 a day for food on his trip to Argentina. He probably had a fair amount of steak,” she said.

“Another member was given $3,588 for food and lodging during a six-day trip to Russia. He probably drank a fair amount of vodka and probably even had some caviar. That particular member has 21,000 food stamp recipients in his district. One of those people who is on food stamps could live a year on what this congressman spent on food and lodging for six days,” she added.

“Another 20 members made a trip to Dublin, Ireland. They got $166 a day for food. These members didn’t pay a dime. They received almost $200 for a single meal only for themselves. Yet, for them the idea of helping fellow Americans spend less than $5 a day makes their skin crawl. The families of veterans, of farmers, of the disabled, of the working poor are not visible to them, not even when they are their own constituents.”

In a previous article, BuzzFeed pointed out many of the Republican members of Congress leading the charge to limit the food stamp program represented large numbers of food stamp recipients.

A quick BuzzFeed search found that the member of Congress who took the trip to Argentina who spent $127 was Rep. Frank Lucas of Oklahoma and the trip was sponsored by the Franklin Center for Global Policy Exchange. The member of Congress who took the trip to Russia was Rep. Steve King of Iowa. The 20 members of Congress who went to Dublin can be found here. The trip, sponsored by the Franklin Center for Global Policy Exchange, had an estimated budget of $450,000 to $750,000 according to Roll Call.

Edited by india100 - Sep 20 2013 at 10:04am
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (9) Thanks(9)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2013 at 10:07am
That article India!Heart
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>