Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Hotel Will Fine Newlyweds $500 For Every Negative
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Hotel Will Fine Newlyweds $500 For Every Negative

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
bunzaveli View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bunzaveli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hotel Will Fine Newlyweds $500 For Every Negative
    Posted: Aug 05 2014 at 9:42am
Originally posted by http://www.addictinginfo.org http://www.addictinginfo.org wrote:

A quirky hotel in Hudson, New York has decided that the best way to address any complaints guests had about their stay is to threaten massive fines if even one of them speaks out about it.

The hidden fee appears in the contracts of any wedding party looking to reserve the Union Street Guest House for their big day. If even a single one of their guests goes on to write a negative opinion about their stay, the hotel will charge the newlyweds $500. If a lot of guests didn’t like their stay? Well, there goes the honeymoon money. Instead of a down payment on a house or a nice nest egg, the couple just starting their life together will have to contend with the crippling debt from the awful hotel they reserved.

The online fine print reads (emphasis added):

Quote “If your guests are looking for a Marriott type hotel they may not like it here,” the site reads. “Therefore: If you have booked the Inn for a wedding or other type of event anywhere in the region and given us a deposit of any kind for guests to stay at USGH there will be a $500 fine that will be deducted from your deposit for every negative review of USGH placed on any internet site by anyone in your party and/or attending your wedding or event.

In other words, you better be extremely confident that every one of the family and friends who you invited to your wedding are going to have a fantastic time or else expect to see your bank account demolished.

Even more troubling, the place sounds like it has its share of real problems. According to one Yelp reviewer who braved the $500 threat to complain about his experience, the refrigerator and ice machine were both broken during his stay and hotel staff made no effort to fix them.

“I complained to the manager on duty when we checked out,” the customer writes. “He tried to feign interest but basically nodded,  took no notes,  called nobody,  and just waited for me to leave. No follow up,  just an empty and insincere apology.”

So far the hotel’s attempt to artificially keep their reviews high has backfired spectacularly. As of this writing, their Yelp review average stands at one star out of five. Dozens of people (many having never been to the establishment) have posted warnings to others to not go to this hotel or else face the massive fines.

And lest we think the hotel isn’t serious about its threats or that they are simply there for show, here is a review from someone last year which complains about this very thing:

screen shot 2014-08-04 at 9.19.33 am

The negative attention appears to have done its job. By noon Monday, the site had scrubbed its site of the threats. Instead, the site asks that wedding planners contact them through email to learn the details of the contract – meaning it’s entirely possible that the “no bad reviews” requirement still exists, just not for everybody to see online.

Sadly, this isn’t the first time a company has tried to coerce good reviews out of customers vis-a-vis threats of fines or lawsuits. Earlier this year, a couple was shocked to learn that they were being sued by an online gadget company because they had written a negative review detailing their horrible experience. As with this hotel, the gambit didn’t go well for the company. A court recently decided in favor of the couple, ruling that the couple owe the gadget company nothing and now the company must pay them for the wasted time and expense of defending themselves against this frivolous lawsuit.

It must be frustrating for a business to get negative reviews. It’s understandable that they want to mitigate some of the damage, especially when they think the online reviews aren’t being sincere, but charging a person hundreds of dollars to ensure that he or she doesn’t say anything bad is ludicrous. There must be a better way, and one that doesn’t come with the added bad publicity Union Street Guest House is now receiving.

Sponsored Links

ModelessDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote ModelessDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2014 at 9:45am

they won't be in business very long
femmefatale85 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote femmefatale85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2014 at 10:08am
They have a 1.5 rating on yelp...if anyone stays there, they deserve the fine.
Bribby View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bribby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2014 at 10:10am
Ewww
CLCNY20 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CLCNY20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2014 at 10:20am
Wow...way to be upset about receiving negative feedback regarding sh*tty service you provide LOL

Guess you want a "say something nice" review?

Foh.
bindy View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2014 at 10:22am
From Yelp

"I got married here in 2013 but I didn't read the fine print carefully. Apparently the Hotel Manager had the right of "Prima Nocta" and was legally allowed to sleep with the bride on the first night. Needless to say this lead to serious issues with the marriage. I'm fairly sure he impregnated my wife- the DNA test says the baby isn't mine. 

On the other hand they did leave a chocolate on the pillow, so it wasn't all bad- they deserve an extra star for that."
bindy View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2014 at 10:24am
From Yelp

"This place is absolutely horrible.

I check in and the first thing on my mind after a 6 hour flight is a looooong relaxing shower. The room LOOKED clean and tidy; which I expected. 

You get what you pay for, right?

Once I get out of the shower, I grab one of the "supposedly" clean towels that's folded under the sink and I look at the corner.

A two inch patch of BLOOD.

This was DRIED OLD BLOOD. I was instantly disgusted, running back into the shower, making it scorching hot to sanitize whatever morsel got on me.

I get on the phone and complain to the Manager,

"Well, we'll get you new towels" -Manager

"NEW TOWELS AREN'T GOING TO DO IT! THIS IS DISGUSTING AND UNSANITARY!"

"Well, you have a discounted room.."

So a discounted room means that I should have someone else's  BLOOD ON MY TOWELS?!"
MissDarkEyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MissDarkEyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2014 at 10:38am
I'll help 'em out and write USGH a 5 star Yelp review fo' "tree fiddy"!

I accept payment either through Paypal or Bitcoin! Thumbs Up
india100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote india100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2014 at 10:41am
I take a black light no matter what the Hotel rating . I hope the dump is closed down and lawsuits follow .

Edited by india100 - Aug 05 2014 at 10:41am
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2014 at 11:01am
theyre being destroyed on yelpLOL  fools, just give good service and take the reviews you get.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic