Homeschooling?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
ModelessDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ModelessDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2014 at 5:07pm

I used to think home-schooling was the best way to go.

But then i sat and thought of how i would feel if i didnt get to experience those precious moments that I did in school.

Sponsored Links

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ModelessDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2014 at 5:29pm

fraiche which year did you go into homeschooling?
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ModelessDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2014 at 5:41pm

i meant which highschool year...sorry lol

sophmore/junior/freshman year?
purpulicious01 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purpulicious01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2014 at 5:48pm
Great topic. 

Originally posted by GoodGirlGoneGr8 GoodGirlGoneGr8 wrote:

Has anyone here been homeschooled? And/or are currently homeschooling their children? What are/were some of the pros/cons regarding being homeschooled?

I've been through all 3 schooling systems (home school, private school, and public school) . Each had their pros, but out of all 3, I enjoyed homeschooling the most. I think our education system is failing our kids and I plan to home school my children. 

PROS:

one on one learning pace, self-directed learning, more control over what your kids are learning, socialization. 

CONS:

I'm with the previous poster. The only negative part of homeschooling is the silly comments/questions received by others. 

Edited by purpulicious01 - Feb 16 2014 at 6:14pm
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote purpulicious01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2014 at 5:51pm
Having said all of that, homeschooling isn't for everyone.

I want to home school because I think our education system is failing our kids, but I don't think there is a one-size fits all solution. At  the end of the day, you have to decide what's best for your family and kids.

Edited by purpulicious01 - Feb 16 2014 at 6:08pm
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ModelessDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2014 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by Fraiche2Death Fraiche2Death wrote:

Oh LOL sophomore. 

LOL

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purpulicious01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2014 at 5:55pm
Last post, if you are interested on the topic of homeschooling and socialization, I'd recommend reading:

The Well-Adjusted Child: The Social Benefits of Homeschooling by Rachel Gathercole.

Socialization may well be the single most important aspect of education today. With high and rising rates of divorce, drug abuse, youth violence, alcoholism, teen promiscuity, and so forth, we cannot afford to let this issue go unexamined. 

To cling to the idea that what we, as a culture, are doing now is the right and best way for all children, simply because it is what we are used to, is to shut our eyes and minds to other possibilities—possibilities that may well afford greater happiness, success, peace, and safety to our own children. 

At a time when people feel more disconnected than ever before, we cannot afford to overlook an option which offers our youth great benefits—including the rich, fulfilling, and healthy social life they may well need for the future. Homeschooling offers great social benefits to kids and parents. When we understand them, our children are the ones who will win.

Review from Amazon: 

"Gathercole, who has spent 10 years homeschooling her three children, says what most people wonder about is whether homeschooled children can work and play with others, in other words, their socialization skills. She begins by noting that "once upon a time, all children were homeschooled" before more formal schooling and the development of "school culture." She notes that conventional schools offer "socialization" through peer pressure, the stress of choosing between popularity and academic performance, and excessive attention to appearance. Drawing on her own experiences as a homeschooler, she details the networks of other homeschoolers who provide opportunities for their children—and themselves—to socialize. Gathercole also points to research showing that homeschooled children have stronger self-concepts than children attending conventional schools. Focusing on how homeschoolers address misperceptions, she explores concepts of socialization, the importance of friendships with other children, strong relationships with parents, and how homeschoolers eventually integrate into the "real world." Great encouragement for parents who are homeschooling and those who are considering it. Bush, Vanessa" 

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ModelessDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2014 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by purpulicious01 purpulicious01 wrote:

Having said all of that, homeschooling isn't for everyone.

I don't think there is a one-size fits all solution and at the end of the day, you have to decide what's best for your family and kids.

agreed.
TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2014 at 6:02pm
Well, it also costs money to homeschool a child.  Also, if math is part of the curriculum and you are crap at math, you would need to hire a tutor.

I don't think I would be homeschooling my kids.  I *would* supplement their education at home, though.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purpulicious01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2014 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

But aren't there studies on how homeschooled students fare vs traditional students .
Sure you have to go by what's going on at home but there can be a better method.

I think of homeschooling like breastfeeding

Yes, plenty of studies that indicate home schooled students outperform their counterparts. 

Homeschooled: How American Homeschoolers Measure Up
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>