FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Homeschooling?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2014 at 4:45pm
this really depends on the parent.  i know people who were/are homeschooled and they're further behind or at the same level as traditionally schooled kids because of the lack of guidance and interaction at home with the curriculum...if a parent can replicate what Fraiche has going on then it works...my bf's sister homeschools her 3 children and they're extremely smart and active in sports.  I still think that you can make a child that goes to traditional school just as worldly and educated if you supplement what they're being taught in school and sign them up for the appropriate extracurriculars.  So, unless the child has some issue preventing them from being in a school house, I have a preference for regular school.  i'm expanding my mind on it though, i go back and forth.

Edited by ms_wonderland - Feb 16 2014 at 4:46pm
Sponsored Links

jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2014 at 4:47pm
it really didn't have to be.
I'm not asking you to argue I just disagreed with your point.Your rebuttal is a non factor.

just because its the most common type of schooling doesn't mean it has to be the default method.

I don't see it being that much different.
child,teenagers,young adults oten don't know what's best for them.

Edited by jonesable - Feb 16 2014 at 4:48pm
melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2014 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by ModelessDiva ModelessDiva wrote:

i dont wish to argue my opinion...

there is a clear difference between brushing your teeth, or having them rot and fall out

and choosing which method of schooling to use

yeah i think it's different strokes for different folks.
whether one is better than the other is really going subjective based on a person's personal values.

melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2014 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

this really depends on the parent.  i know people who were/are homeschooled and they're further behind or at the same level as traditionally schooled kids because of the lack of guidance and interaction at home with the curriculum...

yes, i have seen the same in the public vs. private debate as well. 

jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2014 at 4:51pm
But aren't there studies on how homeschooled students fare vs traditional students .
Sure you have to go by what's going on at home but there can be a better method.

I think of homeschooling like breastfeeding
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2014 at 4:53pm
My kids will be homeschooled in their younger years.

ModelessDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ModelessDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2014 at 4:55pm

there are some kids that will enjoy homeschooling and some that wont...not all kids are the same...

schooling was a big part of my childhood, the good moments and not so good moments

i can't imagine not being in school with other children growing up as a child

recess, food fights, switching lunches, my first crush, field day, clowning the substitute teachers LOL

irreplaceable and priceless

But goodgirlgonebad, if your child agrees with homeschooling, i say go for it

jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2014 at 4:56pm
tbh I liked public school and the whole thing.
Plus I want to be a working mama.
I don't want to stay at home
ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2014 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

But aren't there studies on how homeschooled students fare vs traditional students .
Sure you have to go by what's going on at home but there can be a better method.

I think of homeschooling like breastfeeding

The research, which was conducted by Michael Cogan, the director of institutional research and analysis at the University of St. Thomas, focused on the experiences of homeschooled students at an unnamed medium-sized university in the upper Midwest.
(from a 2010 CBS story)

Here are some of Cogan's findings:
  1. Homeschool students earned a higher ACT score (26.5) versus 25.0 for other incoming freshmen.
  2. Homeschool students earned more college credits (14.7) prior to their freshmen year than other students (6.0).
  3. Homeschooled freshmen were less likely to live on campus (72.4%) than the rest of the freshmen class (92.7%).
  4. Homeschoolers were more likely to identify themselves as Roman Catholic (68.4%).
  5. Homeschool freshmen earned a higher grade points average (3.37) their first semester in college compared with the other freshmen (3.08).
  6. Homeschool students finished their freshmen year with a better GPA (3.41) than the rest of their class (3.12).
  7. The GPA advantage was still present when homeschoolers were college seniors. Their average GPA was 3.46 versus 3.16 for other seniors.
  8. Homeschool students graduated from college at a higher rate (66.7%) than their peers (57.5%).

Edited by ms_wonderland - Feb 16 2014 at 4:58pm
melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2014 at 4:59pm

i know i would never do it, not even the slightest bit interested. and if i did i'm too much of a business person, my school would have my kids plus others that i teach for profitLOL, i need to keep my income stream coming in at all times, these kids college tuition will not be taking from our retirement coins.

my cousin who is a SAHM, did the same thing, she was like shoot, folks are paying $200 a week per child for daycare? she immediately went and got her in home daycare license. hustle is in our blood. if i pass anything on, i hope it's thatLOL

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic